Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eldiablo64
SacTown
eldiablo64

3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips? Empty
PostSubject: 3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?   3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 12:52 am

How do u hook up pre 61 two wire tailights, to a 64 three wire set up? I'm confused... somebody's gotta have a solution. Thanx again guys... jocolor
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?   3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 am

I have seen people do this 2 ways.

The easiest route to me seems to be to use a 3 wire to 2 wire trailer light converter.

The other method I have seen is people make a new flasher/stop light circuit using 4 relays, but this method involves the front flashers as well as the indicator light.

Here is a decent link with the diagrams from the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476562&highlight=tail+light

I am obsessed with relays, so I would probably go that route.

I created a new flasher circuit for my Ghia instead of buying the 60 dollar stock switch with 4 standard 12v auto relays.

I guess I never took a pic of that, but that link will give you the idea...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?   3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips? EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 12:45 am

I haven't tried the trailer converter trick, but I like the sound of it. In the past, I have wired in 2 wire lights from scratch, and it is a lot of work. Just my 2 cents.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?   3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips? Empty

Back to top Go down

3 wire tailight converted to a 2 wire set up. Any tips?
Page 1 of 1