Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hello all!

Go down 
+7
my65rhd
Bradford
Mateo
dsimas
Breck
silvertonguedevil
euphgirl
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi everyone. New to this site... Looks like a fun group. Hoping to free up time and meet some of you.

Just picked up a '66 about 3 weeks ago. Its about 90% restored but engine is original and we have found issues weekly. Very Happy Thankfully my husb, 2 bro in laws, and dad are mechanics and previous v dub owners. Looking forward on learning how to work on my toy. My dad also has a '79 Bus all original with 25 K. We need to replace the fuel pump and it should be back up and running.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Awesome! Welcome to the group!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Welcome!! Cant wait to meet you and see your ride!! Breck
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks! Cool
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Another GIRL! Yay for distaff!

Welcome, I look forward to meeting you soon. Congrats on your "new" old car. Smile
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Laughing

dsimas wrote:

Welcome, I look forward to meeting you soon. Congrats on your "new" old car. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

dsimas wrote:

What is 'distaff'? I feel dumb, do I need penicillin if I get that?

Oh, Welcome to the gang...
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Distaff = a woman or I think women collectively

It's an old term. :-)

Mateo wrote:
dsimas wrote:

What is 'distaff'? I feel dumb, do I need penicillin if I get that?

Oh, Welcome to the gang...
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Welcome to the group.. we have been gaining a lot of new folks this past month in the Sacramento area... that is AWESOME!

This is SACTOWN's year! I feel it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
my65rhd
SacTown
my65rhd

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Welcome to the group. Working on your own car is very satisfying. Look forward to meeting you...Kyle
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 pm

That's what the family says...we shall see. They all say "Bugs are easy to work on" LOL I just look at them like a deer in the headlights. Last week I learned about points and condensers....tomorrow my dad and I are doing an oil change and full tune up since it's "hicupping".

my65rhd wrote:
Welcome to the group. Working on your own car is very satisfying. Look forward to meeting you...Kyle
Back to top Go down
sactownbug

sactownbug

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Welcome. Sorry I couldn't get back to you on the Samba...looks like you found your way. You'll have fun here.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Welcome aboard!! I too have a 66 bug. I am currently trying to get it to run half way decent, but have not been successful yet! LOL Hopefully soon. I too try to do most of the work on my VW's too. Although I do leave some of the stuff to Hubby and a friend of ours.

From the looks of your avatar, your car looks really nice! Got any pics of it to share?

Are you going to make it to the Sactown's Monthly Meet next Thursday? It's on the 26th, held at the Round Table on Howe. Hope to see you there or even just around town. I too am in Sacramento. If you see a white Westy Bus around town, that is probably me! I'm the one with the tie dye! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks Kim and Steve! ( I did find my way!)

Paint looks good from afar. When you get close you can see the mistakes. On the drivers door they didn't let the bondo cure so it popped and now it has a small rust spot. Also you can see where the paint has chipped they didn't sand the car down..just painted over the old color. Also various things like the interior and misc outside parts are the original color, not the new paint. Overall the paint job is mediocre and will do for now. When I save my pennies I will have it redone correctly. Very Happy

I will see if we can make next Thursday. We have A LOT of extra curriculars .. LOL. Btwn drum corps, motorcycles, boating and camping I'm sure I can squeeze something in! Very Happy

The pic I have on my avatar is the only one I took and that was a few days after I got the bug. Since then I have tinted the rear / side windows. Umm I do have pics of a speaker box my dad built and the dash but that's it.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Wow, sounds like we have alot of the same interests! I too am into Motorcycles, boating, and camping. Although I have not been able to do any of them of late. I used to ride my mc to work everyday except rainy days. That changed when my hours changed. I also just got a boat last summer. Sadly we never got it out in the water. I keep threating hubby that I will rent a slip if I have too! LOL Hubby works 24/7 so camping has been hard too. I do have my Westy now so I hope to do a bit more of that this coming year!

Your bug sounds about like mine! LOL My paint looks good from afar too. It has cracks in the paint and misc chips and dents.

Hopefully you can make the meeting. I will be there with my bus if it's not raining. If it is we will bring hubbys work truck. I don't get to stay long though. My darn hours changed and I have to try to be in bed by 8pm on Thursdays now. Sad
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Do you have pics of your '66?

justcruzin wrote:
Wow, sounds like we have alot of the same interests! I too am into Motorcycles, boating, and camping. Although I have not been able to do any of them of late. I used to ride my mc to work everyday except rainy days. That changed when my hours changed. I also just got a boat last summer. Sadly we never got it out in the water. I keep threating hubby that I will rent a slip if I have too! LOL Hubby works 24/7 so camping has been hard too. I do have my Westy now so I hope to do a bit more of that this coming year!

Your bug sounds about like mine! LOL My paint looks good from afar too. It has cracks in the paint and misc chips and dents.

Hopefully you can make the meeting. I will be there with my bus if it's not raining. If it is we will bring hubbys work truck. I don't get to stay long though. My darn hours changed and I have to try to be in bed by 8pm on Thursdays now. Sad
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

euphgirl wrote:

justcruzin wrote:

Yah, I have a thread here.....

http://www.norcalvdubs.com/t865-my-66-bug-project-thread
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 pm

very nice! I also saw the work you did on Westy! Im still a newbie so Im nowhere near the skill level you are at! Tomorrow my dad and I are doing a full tune to see if my baby will stop hicupping.

justcruzin wrote:
euphgirl wrote:

justcruzin wrote:

Yah, I have a thread here.....

http://www.norcalvdubs.com/t865-my-66-bug-project-thread
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Yah, I have to admit that I have done more on Wes then I have on my bug. That's motor wise. I pulled and worked on the motor myself for the most part. Only thing I don't do motor wise is adjust carbs, valves, or points. I leave that stuff up to the guys. I know how to do it, just don't like messing with that stuff. I am more into the fixing up of the main car though! Like replacing old worn out parts for new or good used stuff.

It's good that you are learning to do it all. I know having the knowledge to work on my cars has payed off in the past. If you know a little about them, you can pretty much figure out what is wrong if you break down!

Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Yup. I had to be towed hm last week and if I knew the motor more I could have maybe figured it out vs a tow. Oh well.. Thankful for aaa. LOL

justcruzin wrote:
Yah, I have to admit that I have done more on Wes then I have on my bug. That's motor wise. I pulled and worked on the motor myself for the most part. Only thing I don't do motor wise is adjust carbs, valves, or points. I leave that stuff up to the guys. I know how to do it, just don't like messing with that stuff. I am more into the fixing up of the main car though! Like replacing old worn out parts for new or good used stuff.

It's good that you are learning to do it all. I know having the knowledge to work on my cars has payed off in the past. If you know a little about them, you can pretty much figure out what is wrong if you break down!

Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 am

euphgirl wrote:

"How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - For The Compleat Idiot"
A must have book for those of us that want a basic knowledge in layman's language. Saved me many a time when I was a teenager and stuck on the side of the road with Hugo... Smile
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:50 am

Thank you... I have heard of that book.

dsimas wrote:
euphgirl wrote:

"How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - For The Compleat Idiot"
A must have book for those of us that want a basic knowledge in layman's language. Saved me many a time when I was a teenager and stuck on the side of the road with Hugo... Smile
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Some of the smartest Gals I know have Bugs, Its good to have one more in a BUG.
Girls should have fun cars too. Welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleros.com
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Thank you! My dad and I did a tune up today. I did the oil change, helped with spark plugs, and learned how to use a dwell meter and timing gun. What an awesome feeling! Dad also gave me his dwell/timing gun that he bought in the '60s... Bittersweet for him.

rayvallero wrote:

Some of the smartest Gals I know have Bugs, Its good to have one more in a BUG.
Girls should have fun cars too. Welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 am

So how does it run now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! Empty