Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

64 bug build for my son!!

Go down 
+3
justcruzin
Rypp73
Breck
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Breck

Breck

64 bug build for my son!! Empty
PostSubject: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I thought that I would post some pictures of this project. My son picked this bug up from a buddy of mine for 900 bux. It had been sitting for over a decade. I did not take any pictures in the begining but have a few now. Our intention with this project is to get it running as cheaply as possible while not cutting corners on the mechanical side but definitely faking it in the cosmetic repair. The first thing that we did was drop the motor and tear it down to just the rods hanging from the block. This car is all original with the matching motor, so we wanted to keep it. The motor was in very good shape!! It looks like it had had just been rebuilt before it was stored to sit. With that we elected to just re-seal and put her back together. Today was the first day it ran and it purrs like a kitten (40 horse!!). I do not know how to weld, I dont have a welder and my son is out of money. Soooo we repaired the pans with fiberglass cloth and West marines resin. I have used this method before on rotting vintage Mustangs, while not pretty it gets the job done till it can be done correctly. One big problem that we had was the dumping of two gallons of fuel into the center tunnel. Factory line in the tunnel was kaput!! So after a scary week of gas draining from the rolling bomb we were ready to fix it. Once again money being the controling factor my son elected to run a line thru the cab along side the tunnel. This was the cheapest method that we came up with and only required drilling two 3/8" holes in the car. (was not my first choice!! but hell its not my car!!) We have completely redone the brakes, all parts new including a new dual reservoir master cylinder (an upgrade according to my buddy, his idea before we picked up the car). Now this is where we are today. Car will now drive, but the brakes are not right. No peddle after three bleeds. Greg has told me that I may need a proportioning valve. I had this done to a '65 Mustang that I did a brake upgrade....key words "had it done". So my question is with this brake mod on a '64, will I need the valve?? If so where and how does it install?? If I dont need the valve. What the heck is wrong? Peddle travels to about 1.5" from the floor. If I stand on it it will lock the back tires.. So the question.. to valve or not to valve...and if not maybe this Sunday Mar 4th at my tech day someone brighter can give me a hand bleeding it a fourth time!!! Breck
64 bug build for my son!! DSCN0356
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

64 bug build for my son!! DSCN0355
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

64 bug build for my son!! DSCN0353
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:07 pm

64 bug build for my son!! DSCN0357
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:39 pm

64 bug build for my son!! DSCN0359
Back to top Go down
Rypp73

Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Looks like you cleaned up after i left
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Very nice!! I can't help you on the brakes but I can say that hubby has fixed many a VW with fiberglass. Works rather nicely. We even patched some small holes in Wes using Mar Glas! Great stuff for doing smaller holes. We will be using the Mar Glas on my windshield frame too. That is once we get around to taking it out and tackling that project. I hope before the show! LOL

Anyway, you can kind of personalize your car with fiberglass and resin. Just add a couple pictures then put the resin on! Very Happy He did that to his kids bug. Also put a business card in my old bug once. Very Happy It is a great fix for rusted out battery trays. Very Happy

I look forward to watching the progress of your son's bug. I am with him on "faking" the cosmetic. I too do the same thing. I'm a very low buck restorer! LOL
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 am

Did you 'prime' the dual master?

Typically if you just install a master and do not use one of the many methods to get fluid into the master before bleeding air is still trapped in the master and you will pull your hair out bleeding the brakes and still get no pedal...

Just my 2 cents.

Is one circuit going to the front and one to the rear now?

In my limited experience a valve is used to adjust the braking strength between the front and rear circuits as the pedal is applied.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 am

No I did not prime the master!!! How sir!! How?? do I prime it!! inquiring minds need to know!! Question Question What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am

So this is one of those topics where there are several different methods people use and many will tell you their way is the best but the reality is, if it works for you then that is all that matters right...

Some 'bench bleed' the master before installing it. You can Google that one.

Some 'soak' the master in brake fluid like in a coffee can or plastic bowl to let the fluid seep in before installing it.

I think those are messy...

IMO, there are two ways for you to go at this point.

PRO METHOD: If you have access to a pressure bleeder, it would force fluid through the master and throughout the brake system and solve your issue. Done in like 15 minutes, move along, good to go.

GARAGE METHOD: You can also put a catch basin (plastic cup) under the master, disconnect the brake lines one at a time at the master and let fluid 'seep' from the reservoir through the master and then tighten the lines back up. You need to be careful to not let the reservoir empty all the way or you will allow air back into the system and possibly have to start back at the beginning.

For what I have seen, A dual circuit master has the rear circuit with one brake line heading bake to the rear and the front circuit with two lines, one to each wheel (unless you are running a line lock then there is just a single brake line from the master to the lock).

You have to make sure you have fluid in both circuits...

Hope this helps, it is what works for me.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 am

Breck wrote:
No I did not prime the master!!! How sir!! How?? do I prime it!! inquiring minds need to know!! Question Question What a Face What a Face
Breck, I asked you if you did this and you told me that you did. I used different terminology, I called it "bench bleeding" but it's the same thing. If you skipped this step then this is your problem.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:12 am

Mateo wrote:
...Some 'bench bleed' the master before installing it. You can Google that one.

We're on the same page. Wink
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

You can be on my page anytime you want to. Wink
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Greg I am sure you did ask and am also sure that I gave a bogus response What a Face But now I know where I am at.!!!! Any one have the bit that removes the fill bolt on a swing arm transaxel??? Greg are you gonna show at the tech day this Sunday??
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd really like to but I'm going to be in SoCal on vacation with the family.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Well a vavay seems funner than under a bug.........maybe not. Do you have the tool to drain/fill a transaxel??
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Honestly, I'd probably prefer to be working on a bug. But that's just me.

Doesn't it just take an allen or a 1/2" ratchet?

I can't remember. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 pm

17mm hex head...
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm

1/2' for the drain I think and Like Matt says its a 17mm hex for the fill. I dont have a 17mm hex and do not know where to buy one. Bugformance maybe.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Napa, O'Relie's, Harbor Freight (Made in China), Etc...

Not hard to find.
Back to top Go down
my65rhd
SacTown
my65rhd

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I have the tool. Just found it
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Very cool Kyle are you planning to show for the tech day this Sunday?
Back to top Go down
my65rhd
SacTown
my65rhd

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes I will be there...kyle
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:50 pm

If you are talking about the plug, I answered that on you "Tech Day" thread. Very Happy Just use a 17mm bolt with 2 nuts back to back. Stick the head of the bolt in the plug and use a wrench on the nut end to take the plug out. Hope that made since?
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 pm

LOL yes strangly enough it made perfect sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 64 bug build for my son!!   64 bug build for my son!! Empty

Back to top Go down

64 bug build for my son!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next