Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.

Go down 
+8
Breck
sactownbug
8v fury
Mateo
Rypp73
west coast ghia
euphgirl
silvertonguedevil
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Empty
PostSubject: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 am

So I know how you all like stories. Here's one for ya....

It was early February 1986. I was in the fourth grade. Mr Wood was talking about God Knows What when this cute little thing leans over and asks "Will you be my Valentine?". I lean forward and say "What?" because I couldn't either believe what I was hearing or was just generally confused. She asks again...."Will you be my Valentine?". I say "Yes". I went home after school and asked my mom "What's a Valentine?". She filled me in and after I felt I had a pretty good understanding for what was what, I had her take me down to the local grocery store and I bought a heart-shaped box of chocolates. I held onto them for a couple of days, waiting for Friday (Valentine's Day). Funny thing is, it just so happened to be Father's Day also at school. That morning, I made sure to give my new Valentine her box of chocolates first thing. And later (my dad still talks about this), my new Valentine opens up her desk and shows to her dad her box of chocolates and when her dad asks her "Where did those come from?", she smiles and looks over at me and says, "Greg gave them to me" as my dad sits next to me. Now the two dads are looking at each other, both embarrased.

So Julie becomes my first "girlfriend" if you can call it that. We talked on the phone maybe once a week and we went to the movie theatre and saw a movie once. I could SWEAR it was "Back To The Future" though I may be wrong. I know that the movie came out in '85 but I lived in a small town and we were a bit delayed on all of the newest happenings. Still, I'm almost positive it was "Back To The Future". Anyways, Julie lived out of town by quite a bit but her Grandparents lived in town. So did my Grandparents. Actually, they lived quite close to each other. So we would get together and ride bikes or scooters if we both happened to be at each other's Grandparent's houses. I remember seeing this red Bug at her Grandparent's house and I remember asking her what was going on with it. She told me that it was her Grandma's car and that it was going to be given to her when Grandma passed. She told me that she had no interest in the car and that she would just give it to me when this happened. Now I know this sounds crazy but I have held onto this statement of hers for ALL OF THESE YEARS!

Julie and I broke up (big surprise!) but we've been damn-near best friends ever since. Much later she got married to one of my best friends from high school. Funny thing is, they got married on Valentine's Day!

Then, I married my wife six years later.....on February 14, 2004, Valentine's Day. It litterally was a matter of coincidence as neither one of us planned it this way.

Well, here about a year ago, Julie's Grandma passed away. I was cool about it and I gave it some time but when I felt it was appropriate, I asked her about the Bug. She told me that it was tied up in estate/inheritance issues and that she would get back to me when the dust had settled. I didn't want to be pushy but yet I hadn't heard from her in approximately six months so I asked her about it recently. She told me that her dad owned the car now and that if I wanted it, to ask him about it. So I called and left him a message. No call back. After about a week, I called him again. Message. Two days later, my phone rings. I told him I was interested in the car and we agreed upon a price after we play the whole "whaddya think it's worth" and "whaddya want out of it" game.

So even though my "free" car ended up costing me $500 from Julie's dad, today, my dad went over and loaded the car on a trailer and secured the whole deal. The car that started it all for me, the reason I love VW's is now mine.

Now, I'll give you just a little bit of history on the car. Julie's dad originally bought the car in 1971 from the original owner when it was just 6 years old. He bought the car for Julie's Grandma but she didn't want it. So Julie's mom drove the car and started delivering newpapers in it. In fact, they removed the rear seat (although I got it as it's still with the car) so that they could build a shelf to put the newspapers on. Julie's dad even stated that Julie's oldest brother (a baby at the time) would sleep on the passenger's side front seat while she delivered newspapers. Eventually, Grandma came around and they sold the car to Grandma and Grandpa. They drove it around for a couple of years and then eventually sold the car back to Julie's dad. Even after I saw the car for the first time in the fourth grade just sitting there, Julie's dad started using it again and even used it as an irrigation vehicle when he'd go "set the pipes" in it. The car was last licensed in 1995 (the year I graduated) and was last started five years ago.

After the last conversations with Julie and her dad, the car was picked up today. Twenty-six years after I laid eyes upon it, she's mine.

Meet "Ruby". My '65 Bug.

Here's how she was sitting. Julie's brother jacked it up and removed a wheel for some reason and apparently was trying to get it road-worthy again. He even left the engine lid up, exposed to the elements.

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby1-vi

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby2-vi

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby3-vi

Check out these chrome taillight housings....
My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby5-vi

Last edited by silvertonguedevil on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 am

Got the wheels back on her....

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby6-vi

Pulled out from the side of the shed. The driver's side is getting some sunlight for the first time in God knows how long...

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby7-vi

Up on the trailer...

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby8-vi

Can't you just see her tired smile...

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Ruby9-vi
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

Congrats!!! After all these years and you get To have her...wow. It's even red like Valentines day. Smile
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Lol. Meant to be!
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote:
Lol. Meant to be!

I love you
Back to top Go down
west coast ghia
SacTown
west coast ghia

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 pm

so would this count as your first real love I love you
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
Rypp73

Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:39 pm

GEERATS
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:05 pm

west coast ghia wrote:
so would this count as your first real love I love you
My first Volkswagen love for sure!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

That is too cool.

Rub that paint out, drop it and get her running!

SCORE! cheers
Back to top Go down
8v fury
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Nice, glad to see you are saving another vw.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm trying to save 'em all! Laughing
Back to top Go down
sactownbug

sactownbug

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Greg, I had the exact same experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Really? That's weird.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Sooo she should be rolling in time for the show...right affraid
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

No. Unfortunately, the car is at my dad's in Eastern Oregon. I'm not sure when I'll be picking it up.
Back to top Go down
euphgirl
SacTown
euphgirl

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote:
No. Unfortunately, the car is at my dad's in Eastern Oregon. I'm not sure when I'll be picking it up.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 am

No doubt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 am

Shocked So your saying it wont be ready for the show then Shocked
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:54 am

That's what I'm saying. Sad
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 am

Thats ok, at the rate I am going neither will the 64
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 pm

I tried to get Greg to do an overnight trip to get it and then Banzai it next week to get it to the show. He pussed out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I did. Embarassed

I've got a lot on my plate right now with my '63. I wanna keep progress going on it. The '65 is mine now. That's the important part.
Back to top Go down
west coast ghia
SacTown
west coast ghia

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 am

its in safe hands
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 am

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 am

I am with Dann, let's roll...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.    My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.  Empty

Back to top Go down

My new '65 Bug...the one that started it all.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: Picture Gallery-
Jump to: