Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help Help Help Meeeeeeee

Go down 
+5
60herbie53
Mateo
Davids74Super
mikeinch
Breck
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Breck

Breck

Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey Dann what is the correct way to do the compression check. All plugs out, hold throttle wide open for at least 8 revs. (quote from compression test kit instructions) obvious safety remove coil wire bla bla blah. Is this correct for a vw?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Breck, that how I do it.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Yes, all plugs out. Make sure you know where they go though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Sweet cause I did it my way and I had 10psi on all four!!!! affraid Embarassed affraid
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 am

Really? 10lbs in every jug? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:30 am

That is correct!!! because I did it wrong......only one plug out and did not spin it enough. Embarassed tomorrow is a new day!!!!!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote:
Yes, all plugs out. Make sure you know where they go though! Very Happy

Unless the plugs are brand new I would replace them while they are out. To remember the firing order it is counter clockwise on the distributor 1234. The actual firing order is 1432.

Number one cylinder is the forward on the passenger side
Number tow is the rearward on the passenger side.
Number three is the forward on the driver side
Number four is the rearward on the drivers side.

Make sure the compression tester has a proper seat just as a spark plug would be in its place. Crank it over a few times and read the gauge. That will tell you if you have a potential problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Ok gang the winner of the "what the hell is wrong with the 64!!" contest is........Eric who successfully suggested that the ignition switch was to blame!!! The one month old p.o.s. japachinestywan s.o.b. has been replaced with an owned by germany japachinestywan company unit said to be as reliable or better than the last!! Now the 64 is sporting a brand spanking new 009 distributor with electronic innards, new coil, new wires, new/old rebuilt for the second time in two months 28 pict, new plugs, new clutch cable w/boden tube, new gas cable w/cable housing from frame to fan shield, negative battery cable and last but not least a tranny to frame ground strap. Not to bad considering the real cause was a 22 dollar P.O.S from Japachinestywaneexzzz ignition switch.!!!!! Thanks to all of you for your support and help. Bug now runs better than ever!!! Smooth acceleration, smooth clutch, with the friction point and pedal slack adjusted correctly. Just so ya know I did the clutch and gas cables in the middle of the diagnostics to make myself feel better.......something had to go right!!
See most of you in the am for ranch run....Breck
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Congrats on finally figuring it out! I know how frustrating it is. We have been fighting with carbs on my bug for a while now. It is finally running decent enough for me to drive it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Yay For Me!!!!. Glad you're up and running again Breck! cheers
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 12:47 am

That's good news! Sorry you had such a hard time!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 am

Way to go Breck. Glad you got it figured out.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Eric is the man... cheers
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Yes he is.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:22 am

New vw lesson, start with the cheap parts and worl up!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Help Help Meeeeeeee   Help  Help  Help Meeeeeeee - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Help Help Meeeeeeee
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: