Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Morning cold-start issues...

Go down 
+3
Breck
silvertonguedevil
TheAmazingDave
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Oh good.
I didn't know your skill level, so thanks for taking my suggestions in stride. You are a very gentle and patient person and I'll enjoy meeting you.

If it'll fire up easily, try the base carb settings again, little screw about 2.5 out, and 2-2.5 for the air/idle.

Try cleaning the plugs if it won't fire up. They could be gunky.

I think the carb float bowl should be about 2/3 full. It can die while cornering if not. If it works, don't change it. This is something I'm not 100% sure I'm re-visualizind accurately.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 pm

very happy for you Dave!
Back to top Go down
Need Air

Need Air

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Nice, very happy u got it running good...
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Jim Douglas Jr wrote:
Oh good.
I didn't know your skill level, so thanks for taking my suggestions in stride. You are a very gentle and patient person and I'll enjoy meeting you.

If it'll fire up easily, try the base carb settings again, little screw about 2.5 out, and 2-2.5 for the air/idle.

Try cleaning the plugs if it won't fire up. They could be gunky.

I think the carb float bowl should be about 2/3 full. It can die while cornering if not. If it works, don't change it. This is something I'm not 100% sure I'm re-visualizind accurately.

When you've owned a variety of cars, and have joined a variety of forums, you get accustomed to the "learning curve" inherent with meeting new people and assessing their abilities. I totally understand. Smile

To be honest, before the dizzy cap revelation, I had taken my 34/3 back off to inspect it, once again. I found that the left side shaft bushing is noticably worn and allows a bit of lateral play when the butterfly is open. So I took all of the new seals, o-rings, and diaphragms as well as my new needle 'n seat out of the 34/3, fished out the unused 30/31 seals from my stowed-away rebuild kit, and freshened up my H30/31 PICT for use instead. Set my screws 2.5 turns each, and the car fired right up. Played with the screws a bit when it warmed up and got my idle dialed in. It's running great now and is pulling just as well with the 30/31 as it did with the 34/3. I'll keep the 30/31 methinks 'till I go dual.

I did get new plugs as well, and my starting troubles are now finally behind me. Herbert can sit all night, and all day. All it takes now is a pump of the gas to wet the throat and set the choke, and the engine fires right to life no questions asked.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice. *cheers*

Breck wrote:
very happy for you Dave!
Thanks friend! I'm pretty stoked now, too. Can't wait to get my front end sorted out so I can finally take it on a real drive.

Need Air wrote:
Nice, very happy u got it running good...
Thanks man. B-)
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:59 am

Very cool, I just picked up another super, a 74. Needs sorting to get it back on the road. Just some simple stuff me thinks. Had a friend help me sort the brakes on the 64 then the clutch cable (new heavy duty unit) broke yesterday...this little car pisses me off weekly!!!! If ya need help doing the struts let me know, you should putt it down to Kim's place on a tech day. We can use the lift and get it sorted quickly.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

You're going to get busted Breck. Your VW count is increasing...
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Kudos for correct usage.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Mateo wrote:
You're going to get busted Breck. Your VW count is increasing...

Too late Mateo, I feel the heat!! The driveway is full and parking is getting tough......lets just say not everyone is pleased What a Face affraid What a Face
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Everyone should get her own hobby.
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 am

I love these cars Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Morning cold-start issues...   Morning cold-start issues... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Morning cold-start issues...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: