Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Higher Output Alternator for type 1?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

Higher Output Alternator for type 1? Empty
PostSubject: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:08 pm

HA! just realized I originally posted this in the classifieds so I moved it over here where it belongs...So here we go.
Is there anyone in Sacramento that rebuilds alternators and adds Juices them up, ya know, for vehicles that add accessories like a decent stereo system? I'm not really pushing that much power but damned if she dont hit pretty hard, my 2.5 farad Cap works super good. Like my headlights don't dim at all when the music's turned up and the bass slappin. It's just I can't help but feel that every time system goes BOOM, that lil alternators going uhhhhhhh..... LOLOL I know back in San Jose where I'm originally from there's a guy that can rebuild it with extra output for much cheaper than I'm sure a new one would cost. Anybody have any ideas?

Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 2:33 pm

You might call:

Boyle Future Technology
12325 Locksley Ln, Auburn, CA 95602

530-888-6290

I know they rebuild alternators and do a fantastic job.

I am not sure if they will change the windings for you.

As a side note the Compu-Fire 90 amp alternators are a sweet deal. They are around 300 bucks but they have additional cooling. When you pump up a 'stock' alternator they tend to heat up.

All the flat-4 rally people use the Compu-Fire units competitively to run all their lights and electronics.

And they have 40amps at idle which is really where the issue is with driving around town thumping your stereo and they start to heat up...

My 2 cents...
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 am

Or you could find a big-ass GM alternator or something (the Valeo alt in my Passat GLX was 120 amp Shocked) and rig it up with a custom-fabbed mount. Cool

It might be easy enough to find an old bracket from one of the A/C kits they once offered and modify it to fit an alternator, as a big alt is about the size of an A/C compressor.
Back to top Go down
mikeinch

mikeinch

PostSubject: Re: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:36 am

There are alternators on the samba for stand up engines up to 95 amp. Is that big enough?
Back to top Go down
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey Dave! that would be siiiiick!!! but how would that work to turn the fan?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Higher Output Alternator for type 1?   Higher Output Alternator for type 1? Empty

Back to top Go down

Higher Output Alternator for type 1?
Page 1 of 1