Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! Empty
PostSubject: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 am

So a friend of a friend heard I was in need of a motor and told me he had a short block with 3-4k mile4s on it. but it's been sitting for 6 years. and he wanted 50 bucks. he was just trying to get it out of his way he said. I was like HELL YEAH im on my way. I get to dudes house and he says, cool man let me go get it from behind the shed.... I thought to myself, "behind the shed?!!?!? ahhh maaaan!!!" and yeah wouldn't you know it he brings out this GEM!!!
Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! Pic_0018
He says those are 1641 pistons, and the internals consist of forged rods, counter balanced crank, and aggresive cam...I told him no thanks I needed something in better condition. Then he said ahh well just take it if you want to then. He didn't want to carry it to the back yard again.

So I took it, I'm pretty sure dudes full of it and thats just a regular ole 1600. I mean who puts $ in to aall that expensive sh-t in the block but leaves the stock pulley?!?!? I dunno, I figured it was worth cracking open for free. but damned if I can't budge those cylinders. any one have any ideas, suggestions, or old school tricks to getting rusted ass cylinders off without damagin the piston? I don't mind destroying the cylinders but i'd rather save the pistons if they are 1641. Any ideas??!!!?!?
Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! Pic_bu10
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 9:14 am

Tap them with a rubber or plastic mallet.

You're not going to hurt the pistons, you just don't want to break off the cooling fins.

If you tap them going away from the block softly, they should start to move after a few light hits.

You can get a new set of 87mm A&A Ps and Cs for around a hundred bucks. At this point I would wonder what shape the crank and cam are in...

Could still be a score...
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:24 am

^What he said. Looks like the distributor and fuel pump drive, as well as the oil fill, have been left open to the elements. Look out for rust in the crankcase on the cam, crank, and timing gears, as well as corrosion on the inside of the case itself. If this thing didn't have any oil in it, it may get ugly in there. Looks like the oil cooler holes were left open, too. If everything else checks out, be absolutely sure that there's no dirt, crud, insects, spiders, etc, in those holes.

The dud engine I pulled from our SB rusted up real quick inside when I left it in the rain.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Matt, if you use the Firefox browser, it'll help you spell cylinders.

The internal special parts may be worth salvaging, but that thing needs to come completely apart and be gone through with a fine tooth comb.

As for the stock pulley, they're less prone to leakage than an aluminum pulley.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

ahhhhh ok! well i got 3 of 4 cylinders off without destroying them. the fourth however would not budge. After much careful effort I was able to move it about an inch and a half or so any I found the back side if the piston in this particular cylinder has a big ass chunk taken out of it! LOL I'll take pics later. However the cylinders I got off I compared with the cylinders I took off of my 1600. Now I know a 1641 isn't much larger than a 1600, however there should be some sort of difference no? They look exactly the same size! Yes I'm looking at the inside diameter because of course the outside diameter of the sleeves will be the same...
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:53 pm

A 'stock' 1600 is really a 1584. 85.5mm bore with a 69mm stroke.

A 1641 has a 87mm bore, which is only a 1.5mm gain in size.

For comparison, 1.5mm is .0591 of an inch, Less than a 16th.

(I cant's spell, but I can do math) Wink
Back to top Go down
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 1:05 am

HAHAHA! Correct spelling is over rated! So what you're saying is it may not be possible to tell the difference with the naked eye! I couldn't find my micrometers and ended up abandoning the project until tomorrow. I'll measure them properly in the morning!
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 1:27 am

Man... Lay off the !.
Razz
Back to top Go down
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 1:53 pm

I know brotha! It's habit though!!! It just seems like periods don't speak loud enough or something!!!!!! Know what I'm sayin!??!!?! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!   Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Barn find short block, can't remove cylinders!!!
Page 1 of 1