Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

shifting problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RobGrob9109

RobGrob9109

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 pm

hey i have now replace and put in my trans 2 times now and still the shifter wont do its job.

when the trans is out the shifter can go into all gears.
the trans is able to be moved by fingers into all gears.

PUT the 2 together and the shifter wont move out of neutral into any other gear but third.

i am putting in a swingaxle trans into my 57 bug with a scat shifter..

any ideas tu what is the problem?

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
RobGrob9109

RobGrob9109

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm

update! just got done adjusting the stopping plate deal and i can get it to go into second third and fourth but not so much with the first and reverse.

i am doing this with just the trans and shifter... no engine and no clutch attached..

any ideas to why those 2 wont work?
Back to top Go down
Bugman66

Bugman66

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Sounds like an alignment problem. A little bit can make a big difference. Check the coupling between the shift rod and the hockey puck. Also check the bushing that the shift rod slides in. The bushing is made of plastic and is delicate. They wear out quickly. Even a small crack in the bushing will compromise the alignment; thereby promoting missed shifts. They are a "bear" to change, but fortunately very inexpensive to purchase.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 am

What he said.

OH, and by the way, the Scat shifter while totally awesome, is like the worst to get perfectly aligned. Took me like two weeks to get everything lined up so it wouldn't grind into reverse while trying to shift into second...

shifting problems  Scat_s10

Good luck with your adjustments, totally worth it when you get it all adjusted...
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Is the OP. saying there trying to install the lock out that goes with the stock shifter ?
Back to top Go down
RobGrob9109

RobGrob9109

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 pm

my pops got it figured out first time i have been able to put it in all 5 gears in almost a year hahaha
thanks for the help though i will be saving this just in case i need it for future reference
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 pm

What exctly was done to get it repaired ? Just needed to be adjusted ? Something else ?
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 am

Yes. Do tell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 1:12 am

It just helps the next person with the same or close to the same problem figure out what direction to go in when making the repair if you post what you did to repair your shifter.
Back to top Go down
RobGrob9109

RobGrob9109

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 pm

yeah no prob so i had adjusteded the stopping plate but didnt fully take the shifter out

well my pops just kept twisting the axles to get the syncro to move and adjust so basically just kept tinkering with it and now it just slips right in like a new toy
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:04 am

Way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

shifting problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: shifting problems    shifting problems  Empty

Back to top Go down

shifting problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: