Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CV Boot Removal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

CV Boot Removal Empty
PostSubject: CV Boot Removal   CV Boot Removal EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 am

OK. So tranny is back in, starter is wired, clutch cable is ready. I am getting close. Very Happy

Now I am re-packing the CV joints with grease and the first one I disassembled I cannot get the metal 'ring' that the boot attaches to separated from the CV joint itself.

Anybody have any ideas? Heat? Soak in solvent? I dunno...
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

CV Boot Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CV Boot Removal   CV Boot Removal EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:26 am

I will take a huge freaking hammer for $200 Alex... Laughing Really though, I would think time and patience with some elbow grease is the way to go. I have a hard time with things like this and I end up breaking things.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

CV Boot Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CV Boot Removal   CV Boot Removal EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:18 pm

I had the big hammer out Saturday morning, along with the torch. But then I stopped myself. I had a thought that I had read somewhere about early or original CV joints that the boot ring was attached or pressed onto the CV joint itself and near impossible to get off. Of course I could not find that information again.

I figured that I could get the ring off with the big hammer but then I would end up needing to buy new boots.

So I opted instead to just cut the clamps off and leave the rings on the CV joints. It didn't really make a difference leaving them on, I was still able to clean and re-pack the joints. All 4 were 'attached' so I convinced myself that the boot rings were in fact attached and they were not just stuck on there from 40 years of oil and road grime.

BTW, I did read about using WD-40 to clean the boots themselves and that was spot on. They look brand new.

My 12 year old really enjoyed packing the joints with new grease and I am happy to report the tranny and axles are back in the car. Very Happy

If I can get the fan shroud drilled and tapped for the coil bracket, and then painted I think I can get the motor back in the car, finally...
Back to top Go down

CV Boot Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CV Boot Removal   CV Boot Removal EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Keep at it! Good things come to those who............ Okay, Whatever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CV Boot Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CV Boot Removal   CV Boot Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

CV Boot Removal
Page 1 of 1