Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Engine Mounting Bolt over #3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 Empty
PostSubject: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:00 am

Ok, So some progress tonight. Engine is in, sort of.

Might latest question is this. She has the original '69 tranny but a '71 dual port engine. I am not sure but I think I have a problem. The motor has the threaded insert over #3 for the mounting bolt.

I didn't pay too much attention when I had the tranny AND the motor out because I am a noob, but the tranny seems to have a grove the bolt head wants to fit into.

I didn't want to wrench down on it too tight until I did some research?

Has it just been a long day and I am imagining things or is this possible? I am going to go do some looking but I thought I would give you guys first dibs...
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 am

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's how they all are. Not too sure what the groove the bolt fits into would be though.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 am

From what I am reading, I think the early pre-doghouse transmissions used a similar half moon bolt as on the starter side. When the doghouse oil cooler came along they added the threaded insert over the #3 side. My Bently manual for a '69 shows a bolt on that side.

Maybe I can add some washers or something to keep the bolt head from hanging up on the lip on the transmission...
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 am

Just get it bolted up. Mine has been drilled out. So I have a regular bolt and nut to hold it all together. But originally, over 3, the bolt went in from the front to the engine side.

But seeing as many engines in and out as I have, most of the time the threads have been drilled out and a regular nut/bolt with washers is used. I have never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: You can run it with three   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:21 pm

As long as you don't rev it to red line and do a smokey burn out you will be alright. My clutch arm is bent and I cannot fit a bolt in the hole. The next time the engine is out I will heat and bend in.

Did you get it started?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:31 pm

That's what I did. I put a couple washers behind the head of the bolt and she snugged right right up.

I forgot to mention this bolt was missing when I dropped the engine. So I wasn't really thinking about the issue until I went to put the bolt in there.

It is funny, the true mechanical part of these things is easy. What takes the time are all these little things that you have to stop and think about. Well for us FNGs anyway.

Thank's for the input and I am off to wire up the altenator and put the carbs on. At this point I think there should be no further panic attacks. Well, at least until I turn the key.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:40 pm

I did not get her started yet.

While I was man-handling the engine into the car last night, I kind of busted the distributor cap. Embarassed

So I have to get a replacement one of those, mount the external oil filter that I 'fabricated' a fancy bracket for, put the carbs back on, re-attach the fuel line to the body, clean up a couple more wires, and um I think at that point she is ready to go.

Oh I have to set the end play on the clutch and attach the throttle cable.

I need to print this out. It's a good to-do list for the day. Very Happy

Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 Engine10
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:55 pm

And one more thing (I like to talk or type alot if you haven't noticed)

The neighbor 'kid' likes to zip up and down our street in his 'shopping cart' Honda.

So the motor has to be tight in case we should ever arrive at the end of the street at the same time.

Queue the theme music from 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Mounting Bolt over #3   Engine Mounting Bolt over #3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Mounting Bolt over #3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: