Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

WHERES THE MOMENTUM???

Go down 
+7
Bradford
60herbie53
Jim Douglas Jr
Bahabuggin
Davids74Super
zuhaelter_82
Smogman72
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? Empty
PostSubject: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 pm

To start I'd like to say maybe its just me but I'd like to put some concern out there and see if it sparks anything. Neutral

When this group started it really took off fast cheers. As time has gone by there seems to be less and less involvement Crying or Very sad .

Not saying that I havent had things come up to prevent me from doing things with the group Embarassed , but I am on here (the forum) at least once a day (not saying everyone has to do that) to see what folks have posted, whats new, etc. and Ive noticed things have really slowed down.

The first two meets were great!! Very Happy Lots of new faces....great cars....etc. The last meet again, great cars and some new faces but, what happened to the group Question . It was cut in half! Sad

The ice cream meet was great!!! Tech days have picked up in particapation (great)!! The Apple Hill run Question ........from what Ive seen posted it was one car/family No.

I have been excited by this group as soon as it started because of the involvement. I was energized to see all the new members registering, posting things, the planning events, projects, etc., and I was SO looking forward to everything continuing through out the year.

There are a lot of events, show, etc. that are setup starting in the spring and it dwindles down through the summer to the last Bugorama in Sep. then....... nothing till spring again. I was really hoping with the momentum we had from the start of this group would continue through the fall and winter.

My main goal here is to get everyone fired back up about this group. Lets all make it a second family of sorts!

Lets get more ideas for cruises, events, etc up on here. If you have an idea or want to do something dont wait for others to come up with the same idea. Post it....get some feedback and LETS DO IT!

Thinking about it...........Tech day was an idea of Brads to get folks together both old and new (in the VW world) to come together and work on our rides. This way if you know what your doing....come do it. If you have no clue......come learn. I guess am the only one with some parking/shop space to share for these events at this point in time. I would like to send out there to all the folks that have projects in your shop/garage to setup your own tech day.

I was just reading about the "Crazy Bastard of the Month" on the Volksrods.com site and found something they did to be a great idea. If you have a project in your garage set up what they called a "Garage Trash". Lets get a group of people to come over and work together to help finish your project. More hands make short work if you have a long list of things to accomplish.

Again maybe its just me but I have seen a downturn in the excitment here. Lets get it turned back up. Lets get those rides that are in the garage, on the back of the property, just sitting etc back on the road.

LETS DO THIS THING Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm

I am still waiting for powder coat to finish the motor on the 64. The single cab needs to be sanded down to bare ass metal. If anyone is up for having a sanding party, I'm open.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Great!!!! When and where? Lets get r dun Smile
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

I think a problem with the meets is we're asking everyone which day is best for everyone, and going from there. The monthly meets need to be on a set date every month. Like the SAC NAG, second saturday of the month. We need a set day.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Thats not a bad idea. The groups/clubs meets that I know of are Tru-Dubs 1st Thursday of the month and like you said, Sac NAG 2nd Saturday of the month.

Maybe we can do both the Tech day and Monthly meets on the same date every month.

Like: Both tech day and meet same day.....say 3rd Saturday of the month. Or Tech day the 3rd weekend and Meet the 4th or vise versa?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Momentum has definitely dropped off. (I'm guilty too!) I like the idea of tech day and meet on the same day. Between work, family, and home, it's hard to come up with a free day every month. Two is even harder. A set date would probably help.
As much as we really enjoyed the 1st Mels meet, it is expensive if we bring the family. Baskin Robbins night was awesome! Ten bucks for ice-cream, and everyone was happy! Don't know if cost is an issue for other folks, but how about, bring some sodas and pick a parking lot to meet in for an hour or so?
Getting a big group of us together is hard because we have bunch of small groups spread out .IE: Grass Valley, Placerville, Roseville, etc.... It will take some creative thinking and planning to get a big group of us together.
Meanwhile, keep up with the site, post about the things that you're working on (or want to be working on) and make it to the get-togethers when you can. Most of all, keep enjoying your VWs!
Well, that's my two cents. Eric
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:38 am

I wanted to go to the last meeting but my job got in the way.
Then I wanted to get together for apple hill. I still went up there but it was earlier and i had leave early once again for work.
work sucks.
Having a set day for the meeting might help.
We should try a morning meeting Then a long cruise for the day.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Humble suggestion.

This is so simple and effective.

We run a forum and have regional meetings and a yearly national event that draw as many as 45 or so people. Our 2010 national event ran 8 cars and 16 participants right up Route 49. No kidding. The 2009 national event was in Florida.
One of the things that makes us successful is a couple rules we have on our forum. For group cohesion, we encourage members to have their first name either in their profile, or as a custom signature. very quickly, you start to associate a name with an avatar, car, or posting style.

This may seem insignificant, but as I said, because we actually start to get to know each other, we're able to do the kinds of things we do. Just a couple of months ago, we raised over $1000 in 48 hours to help a member in Mexico rescue a decommissioned Vocho (VW Beetle) taxi. We also sent over $1000 worth of stuff, including an entire set of tires, so one of our members (who's just now 18) could attend our event with his car this year.
We also rely on the membership to support the message board financially so there aren't ads, and we only have to ask once every 2 years, because they chip in way more than we need.
This isn't meant to show anything other than that an on line forum CAN be a VERY powerful tool in bringing a club together. As Administrator (one of 4), I even have my daytime phone number in my profile so anyone who needs or wants to can call. Nothing like a voice to go with a name.

Now, this all took some time, but it's so helpful that we made it a rule to actually require Name (first only is fine), Location, and Model Year information from members after 10 posts.

That all said, you guys are local to each other, so there's no reason you can't enjoy the same kind of camaraderie.
I've been reading the forum here for a couple of days now and have yet to associate a name with a car or avatar.

Now, this is just a suggestion, but after running an internationally attended successful forum for going on 8 years, we've learned a thing or two. It's gone from on line forum, to on line community all the way to on line clubhouse and real community.

Short version: Allow signatures with names. Require it. This place can be an excellent tool for people to start to get to really know one another. Form bonds, you up participation.

Kyle, Buddy & Herbie the Love Bug ll53

Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Like the idea of having name on the sig part. You just have to adjust your prefferences on your profile to allow your sig to be shown. Good idea. Thanx
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Or maybe something else. That didnt seem to work for me so far. ??????????? Dont know Im not to computer savy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm

If you need any help Kyle and I know how to do a lot of this stuff. I don't want to speak for him but I am willing to help you in any way I can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Looks like that was a feature in the admin area that was turned off. I turned it on!
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm

I say just hang in there.. it has been a wet and cold winter. Spring is one the way! I think we can get the ball rolling again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:35 pm

No doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Great idea about the names! And I agree with Brad, when the weather breaks,I think the club will start picking up momentum again. Eric
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I've been looking for a low-key but active "group" or "club" in the area for a while now. I'm looking forward to meeting up with some folks. I have to work this Saturday but I can plan ahead for the next meeting!
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I'll try to be there in February, too. We're all for supporting new groups.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 11:28 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote:
I've been looking for a low-key but active "group" or "club" in the area for a while now.

I agree Greg.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

Now I kinda see what you are talking about. This place is awfully quiet. 60 total members, 17 of which have been on here since we flipped over to January. What's something we could do to get this party goin'? How do we get those other 43 members to come check things out more often? You've probably got the most user friendly message board that I frequent and that includes The Samba. I like how I can sign in and view what's happened since I last left and also that I get an email when there's a response to a thread I'm involved in. There's some great things going on here. We just need to turn up the volume! Let's party!!

afro cheers santa farao drunken confused alien tongue pirat No queen jocolor clown Shocked Cool pig Basketball rendeer Suspect
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 pm

I think a lot of people may have been hooked on the "new group" bandwagon, saw that there's not a lot going on, and moved on.

I usually check in on here ever day or two.

Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 am

It'll probably just die if something's not done to raise up the excitement level in here. Anybody have any ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 am

Well... we've got a set monthly date for the tech-day/cruise. That's working out better than before. Jeff and I discussed having a cruise/dinner plan laid out a week or so in advance rather than at the last minute. That will give members a chance to make plans to attend. I posted some pics from the other night on the SR Vdubs Facebook page in the hopes of reminding people who don't check the site often that we're still here.
Most folks were busy through the holidays. I feel that when the weather warms up, the club will too.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am

That's a good point. However if there was anyone like me. The holidays kept me from being out in the garage workin' on my bug but it may have increased my time on the internet because the weather was too crappy to be doing anything else outside. I would think the traffic on the website would be crankin' through the winter months. Is there a way to email those who have not shown in a while? Just a reminder to come check things out? That was a really good turnout the other night. Who wouldn't want to hang out and talk cars for a night? Maybe if those who haven't been around in a while saw that 10-11 cars showed up.....

Just brainstormin' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Quote :
It'll probably just die if something's not done to raise up the excitement level in here. Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe we could start lighting people on fire Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 pm

ok....? Shocked

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHERES THE MOMENTUM???   WHERES THE MOMENTUM??? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHERES THE MOMENTUM???
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: State Route Vdubs Affairs-
Jump to: