Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Herbie in Grass Valley.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

Herbie in Grass Valley. Empty
PostSubject: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

OK, so like two years ago, my friend in Grass Valley and I (I'm in San Francisco) completed our Herbie replicas. I just a few minutes ago stumbled on this group on The Samba.
Immediately, a message and a phone call went out to him.
We did an El Dorado run from Yosemite, Grass Valley, Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, and back in October. Had a logo, T shirts, the whole deal. Met some nice VW people along the way. I wish we'd have known about you!

Anyway, I get out to Grass Valley in one of my two VWs every couple months. I'll certainly plan my next overnighter on the night of your meet so we can attend. Hopefully he'll be able to show up this month to introduce himself. it's too short of a notice since I just discovered you and can't make it this weekend.

We run a well attended forum (60-100 posts a day), and are always willing to assist with technical advice without the attitude and poor-answers gleaned from the Samba's forum. Most of us have been through complete teardowns of 1960s VWs (for obvious reasons) and have quite a good log of experience to pull from, places to avoid dealing with for parts, etc.
Example tidbit: Despite having the highest prices, MAM carries only low and mid-grade parts.

For VW advice, you'll want to visit the Volkswagen General Discussion Forum on our board. Many of our members are long time VW mechanics.

I'm at work, so I'll leave you with a photo of our cars. Next up, we have one of the bodies used in Herbie Fully Loaded which needs virtually everything. It's just a body shell cut off 12" from the windshield. It was a camera platform car for interior shots.
Also, another car's getting a sunroof graft (EEEK! Ragtops are convertibles! End the misuse of the word in VW circles!).

Last, my name is Kyle. Jim Douglas is the main character from The Love Bug.

Herbie in Grass Valley. 100_2079

Kyle, Buddy & Herbie the Love Bug ll53
Herbie in Grass Valley. 2622529ba908b85bb0ef91ea45c0c1f6349152d

Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Welcome! Look forward to meeting you.

Jeff
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks!
My friend, Dann (in Grass Valley), is attempting to log in, but never got his confirmation email.
Mine came immediately.

Edit. Aww! It appears custom signatures are disabled.
We had to limit the size on our board. Unchecked, that can be distracting. It's a Yuku board and has very powerful (if a little complicated) Administrative powers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Looking forward to meeting you. Gotta LOVE Herbies!
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Absolutley!!!!! Welcome!!!! It always great to meet new VW folks and get to know them. Very nice cars. Looking forward to meeting both of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks!
I'll see if I can make it next month. I have to work this weekend.
My restoration was a pan-off. You can see it here (click), with much appreciation to Dann, (60herbie53) the other Herbie guy.

Kyle, Buddy & Herbie the Love Bug ll53
Herbie in Grass Valley. 2622529ba908b85bb0ef91ea45c0c1f6349152d

Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Now there's another Herbie guy!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Well, yours isn't done, and I'm too far away for us to be much of a threat - yet.
We won't plan our takeover until later.

Seriously, thank you guys for all the warm welcomes. Some of the VW community for some reason don't like Herbie. I say anything that brings smiles to people faces is good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herbie in Grass Valley.   Herbie in Grass Valley. Empty

Back to top Go down

Herbie in Grass Valley.
Page 1 of 1