Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Need a recommendation

Go down 
+5
silvertonguedevil
Mateo
Bradford
amishman
keumaborden
9 posters
AuthorMessage
keumaborden
State Route
keumaborden

Need a recommendation Empty
PostSubject: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:15 pm

I have an exaust leak, and need my valves adjusted, and I am unable to do these things myself. Can anyone recommend a good shop...
Thank you
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 pm

keumaborden wrote:
I have an exaust leak, and need my valves adjusted, and I am unable to do these things myself. Can anyone recommend a good shop...
Thank you

I am wondering of the Tech days that are held monthly would be good for that? I have never done one myself but bet some of the guys and gals that do the tech days have. You could learn and do it with their help. Very Happy

tj
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwhippie.com
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, tech day we could work on that... or if you do want a shop... Vallero's VW repair shop in Auburn: Phone:(530) 823-6193

Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Vallero is the man!

I second the recommendation. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
amishman
State Route
amishman

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Mateo wrote:
Vallero is the man!

I second the recommendation. Very Happy

Vallero's did my Tranny overhaul this last summer and he is a nice guy.

Just bring bigger pocket book is all as prices are not low but he does nice work and seems to care about his clients and that goes along way.

tj

Back to top Go down
http://www.vwhippie.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 pm

My recommendation would be to take these guys up on the tech day idea. Would be a helluva lot cheaper to do it with the help of some friends and then you'd also learn how to do it yourself so next time.....it'd be like money in the bank! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am

I thought that the valves had to be stone cold before adjusting. If so, then it would make it tuff to do at Cliff's shop
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am

Stone cold is best, but after an hour or so of sitting it can be done. I have popped the valves covers off before and let it sit for an hour or so. Still adjusted just fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
keumaborden
State Route
keumaborden

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Thank you, all of you, I know Im capable, just a lil scared. Its my dads bug and I just dont want to mess it up. When I had a 70' bug I did some work myself but had my dad by my side....
Thanks so much for everything,
Carol flower
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Get the idiot book   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Unless you drop the car off the night before the tech day will not work. I like doing it on ramps, it is the safest way. You will be surprised you may only adjust 1 or 2 valves. All of the will not be out of tolerance.

Get the car off the ground. Valve covers off. Number 1 top dead center(TDC). Rotor pointed to number 1 spark plug wire. Check number 1 write the clearance down, rotate the motor write down number two, rotate do three rotate do four. If they all are super tight you may of not been at TDC. If they are all loose the same thing.

Google it some has got to of written a good article.

Just do a practice run with no wrenches just feeler gauges. You will have the confidence and you cannot screw up anything.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Idea   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:33 pm

I have a motor on a stand if you can drive to Penn Valley I will give you a lesson on valve adjustment. It has swivel feet adjusters but I can show you and we can do one on one of my spare type 4's. Who know maybe you may want to buy a distributor.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

COME ON DOWN TO TOHE NEXT TECH DAY HERE AT MY SHOP FEB 19TH WE CAN DO ONE SIDE AND YOU CAN DO THE OTHER Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 am

I agree with just bringing it to the tech day. A valve adjustment is already on my to do list for that day. Wink
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Hello   Need a recommendation EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am

You need to do it COLD.

Not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 pm

YES. COLD IS BEST TO DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT WITH. BUT.......WHAT IS COLD?

THE COLD OF JANUARY 15TH (OUR LAST TECH DAY) SURE ISNT THE COLD OF SAY AUGUST IS IT?

AUTOMOTIVELY SPEAKING COLD IS A RELITIVE TERM.

ON THE OLD CARBED VEHICLES AND EVEN ON SOME NEWER VEHICLES THEY HAVE A TAC (THEROSTATIC AIR CLEANER). WHAT THIS DID WAS CLOSE THE AIR INTAKE FROM THE OUTSIDE AIR SO THE INTAKE COULD DRAW WARM AIR FROM OFF THE MANIFOLD. ONCE THE AIR TEMP GOT TO ABOUT 100-110 DEGREES IT WOULD OPEN BACK UP TO OUTSIDE AIR. THIS HELPS GET THE ENGINE UP TO OPERATING TEMP FASTER. HERES A PIC OF A TAC ON A 69 BUG: Need a recommendation Img_2010 SEE THE TWO RODS THAT COME THRU? ONE CLOSES OUTSIDE AIR THE OTHER OPENS MANIFOLD AIR. THE BIG TUBE IS WHERE THE AIR OFF THE MANIFOLD COMES IN.

SO AUTOMOTIVELY SPEAKING COLD BASICALLY MEANS ANYTHING UNDER THE 100 DEGREES. ON A LOT OF NEWER CARS (FOR TESTING PROCEEDURES) COLD IS ANYTHING BELOW 69-79 DEGREES. SO...........IF YOU LET THE CAR SIT AND WHEN THE HEAD TEMP GETS DOWN TO OR BELOW 80 DEGREES WE CAN DO THAT ADJUSTMENT NO PROBLEM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: yes   Need a recommendation EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:09 pm

You are right, in the summer it would be what ever the outside temp is. So under a 100 would be a ok.

Bring valve cover gaskets February is valve adjustment 101
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 7:02 pm

X2 on bringing valve cover gaskets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need a recommendation   Need a recommendation Empty

Back to top Go down

Need a recommendation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: