Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th

Go down 
+2
Smogman72
Bradford
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th Empty
PostSubject: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Our monthly tech day and gathering is set for August 20th, 2011

Meet up at the smog shop at 9am to 4pm for tech and tune.
from there at 4:30pm we cruise and gather till?
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:20 pm

COME ON OUT. LEARN SOMETHING OR JUST BS WITH THE REST OF US.

SANDY GOT HER DUAL CARBS SO WE WILL BE AT LEAST STARTING THAT. OTHER THAN THAT NOT SURE WHAT WE'LL HAVE.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

What kind of carbs did she end up with?
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:56 pm

A PAIR OF EMPI SINGLE PORT SINGLE BARRALS. NOTHIN TO FANCY.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Very cool. Since she has single port heads, single barrel carbs are sweet.

My 2 cents from experience:

Adjust the accelerator pumps before mounting the carbs. With an 009 distro the accelerator pump adjustments are critical. Of the six I have pulled out of the box, none were set correctly. Accelerator pumps affect the dreaded 'flat spot'. lowbugget.com has a good article on this and howto set the pumps correctly. I fought my laziness and fear for a while and once I made these easy adjustments it made a world of difference.

After that, sync the carbs side to side with the idle position screw. If you need a sync tool let me know and I'll either bring mine or drop it off.

Next set the linkage. The better your linkage is setup, the easier things will go. If you run the balance tube, this becomes less critical but still needs to be as close as possible.

After linkage is set, check your mixture screws. With your machine this was easy. I found that after you leaned my carbs out, backing the screws back out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn made things good.

Check your sync again. If you have to re-adjust the idle positions, you have to disconnect the linkage and re adjust. no exceptions. I cheated on this too, everyone does, and it never works right. This is just one of those facts of life. Change the idle position, readjust the linkage or you will be chasing your tail.

After that. VROOM VROOM. Dual carbs are the best!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I HAVE ONE SYNRCO TOOL BUT HAVING ANOTHER WOULD ELIMINATE SWAPPING SIDES. JUST HAVE ONE ON EACH SIDE. I HAVE THE FLOAT TYPE NOT THE SNAIL SHELL STYLE.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Mine is a snail shell.

I think using a single sync tool would be best.

I doubt that the tools are made with enough precision that two tools would give the same reading.

You need an extension tube to clear the air cleaner studs if you have them mounted to the carbs.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 9:18 pm

I agree with Matt
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Jenn's birthday this weekend.

Since May is still indisposed we're headed to Napa and Sonoma.

Have a good one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Smogman72 wrote:

SANDY GOT HER DUAL CARBS SO WE WILL BE AT LEAST STARTING THAT. OTHER THAN THAT NOT SURE WHAT WE'LL HAVE.
Just a thought.....Is she still using the stock vacuum advance distributor? And if she is, will it work with dual carbs? I've always heard that it won't work.
But I could be wrong......
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

Typically the solex carbs aren't tapped with a vacuum port, but you can get them that way.

The carbs can be tapped though if they are not.

Or you can also T off of the balance tube between the intakes if you run the balance tube.

You can also tap and intake.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:16 am

Ahhhh. Dual carbs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 am

Dual carbs are sweet! The only way to roll. I am a fan.

I am going to run straight up 3.5 inch velocity stacks with Webers on May's new power plant!!!

That is of coarse if my new valve springs ever get here.

I have been researching and studying. You should be afraid, very afraid... lol

Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:43 am

speedbuggy wrote:
Smogman72 wrote:

Just a thought.....Is she still using the stock vacuum advance distributor? And if she is, will it work with dual carbs? I've always heard that it won't work.
But I could be wrong......

I just thought of something... If they are 34 EPCs there should be vacuum ports with rubber caps.

I think. scratch
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Talking to Ray and discussing what can be done and Matt not talking my guess is 134 hp in May. Now I may be a little short er than Chris but he does reach a tad bit higher than most.

Good luck Buddy
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 pm

So, how was tech day?
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Well lets see....got 5 or 6 smogs done & got most of the dual Carb assembly put together on sandy's car.

Larry, Dann, & Dave, & dawn stopped by for a few minutes each. Not a great turn out but got a good amount done. Sorry no pics. Was to busy working :-)
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Sorry I couldn't have stayed longer to help you Cliff. It was nice to see you guys anyway.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 pm

U get that car shot? I'll have to come by & check it out.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am

Yup. All done. On to the next project now. By the way thanks for the help Cliff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th   SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th Empty

Back to top Go down

SRV Tech Day / Meeting - August 20th
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: Events-
Jump to: