Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

getting all HOT and bothered!!!

Go down 
+3
silvertonguedevil
Davids74Super
61rag
7 posters
AuthorMessage
61rag
State Route
61rag

getting all HOT and bothered!!! Empty
PostSubject: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 am

Well Hello everyone!!! sorry for not being around was going through some serious life stuff anyway im having an issue with my motor so I need mor eminds here! heres the story i was driving to work and only got about 3 miles from home and i noticed it was getting really hot smell and all! so i turned right around and headed home! no major leaks no knocks sounded pretty good still. let it cool down and did my inspection nothing visiable...found some metal in the oil but not really enough for me to think somthing bad..and like i said no knocks or any strange noises! pulled the oil cooler and swapped it with a known good one just in case! put her back together and took her for a spin and after about a mile watched the temp shoot to over 200 very fast!!! so with that said any ideas?? im pulling the motor this weekend and gonna see what I can find
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 am

Metal in the oil is never good.

Most likely bearing material.

Needs a rebuild. Hopefully nothing else got damaged.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 am

Agreed. A little metal or a lot of metal....either way, shouldn't have metal in the oil. Doesn't sound good.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

Yup. If you are getting metal in the oil it is never good. Probably the camshaft/lifters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: fan   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Check your cooling fan. You know that paper towel you leave in the engine compartment to check your oil it may be in the fan now.

Check your timing first not enough timing will make it run hot also.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 pm

That's a good suggestion. Check the soundboard too. Sometimes if there is limited space behind the fan shroud and fire wall this can happen as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Heat and shavings can also mean a rear main bearing seizing up.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Regardless I think an engine removal and inspection is in order.

Last edited by 60herbie53 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
61rag
State Route
61rag

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 am

Good ideas but when I tried the new cooler that took the towel or any fan blockage out of that scenario! I know metal is never good but ou of the 20 plus years I have had dubs I have seen that before and had no problems. The part that get me is she sounds good and runs fine has plenty of power! Just like before the problem came about. I am pulling the motor tomorrow (saturday) I will let ya know what I find
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:49 am

You doing this at your parents?
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
61rag
State Route
61rag

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 2:11 am

Yes sir I am!!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 am

It's sounds like it is just the beginning of a major failure. It seems that you have caught it in time before any real damage occurred.
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 pm

I agree. better to catch it now and just have to do a basic rebuild than to have to track down a new crank or case, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Do you have a gauge on your oil pressure?

If your pressure relief system isn't working and you have continuous high oil pressure then something is wrong with your flow and that could cause high temps.

Also, if your pressure is high enough not to trigger the light, but not providing enough flow, that could also cause high temps.

I experienced an issue with a pressure relief piston being stuck on my motor before a re-build that was causing higher than normal temps.

Just another two cents...
Back to top Go down
61rag
State Route
61rag

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Yea I considered that myself I pulled both valves and checkedand cleaned em just in case normally I have about 60 lbs of pressure when she's warm like middle of summer it will maybe to about 20 at idle. It's 12:25 an i am out the door to pull that engine! Been slacking a bit lol
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: oh yeah   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 pm

May the force be with you. I sad its not a tech day.
Back to top Go down
61rag
State Route
61rag

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Well motor pulled case split! And only a small mark on one crank bearing! Now I'll admit I'm not a motor guru but I don't think its even close to a failing part! Anyway with that said ideas will be welcomed!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 am

You'll need to check if your oil is even circulating. Oil pump, regulator, possible clogged oil passages etc. Not seeing everything it is very hard to diagnose a problem. If all the internals check out okay check your airflow. Oil cooler obstructions, fan shroud obstructions, and heater boxes if applicable. Are all the cooling tins in place? Is the temp gauge accurate? You may have caught a major problem before it developed so I think you are money ahead in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 am

From what he is telling me on the phone.. I think he has a blocked passage. I am going to head down there tomorrow (Auburn) with my mic's and indicators and help him out with a second pair of eyes.

The engine starts right up... no noise, no problems and purrs like a kitten... but in the stretch of 4 miles.. it is jumping up to 200 degrees.. and the engine is to hot to touch. Acting like a car with no water.. so meaning no oil getting to the cooler. Hope to find the problem tomorrow
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 11:36 am

Let us know!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Hope it all works out.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: cooling flaps   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Are you running the cooling flaps in your fan shroud?
What have you changed? I know life is a little stressed lately but did you change something.
Timing, I was running my turbo motor with out the turbo with the turbo tune. It did not take long for my oil temps to get over 200. Now with the turbo it is still heating up quickly.

We have been had by a cracked/bad distributor cap. Pulled motor replaced motor same problem OH SHIT.

If you do bearings I have a puller for the distributor gear. Oil pump puller but that may be to late.
Back to top Go down
61rag
State Route
61rag

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 am

ok so brad came down and we took a good look and whil the bearing were not really tore up there was quite a bit of build up of metal from unknown places on them. at anyrate we are gonna rebuild everything else is in good shape so it shoukld be an easy one
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: smart move   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Smart move If you do it yourself I have a puller for the gears in the front. You should do it yourself its not to hard. I have an extra bench mounted motor stand.

David
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 am

Good luck on the rebuild. I am sure it will be great when it's all done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting all HOT and bothered!!!   getting all HOT and bothered!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

getting all HOT and bothered!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: