Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement   Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm

So I am tinkering around in the garage today cleaning up after the HARD work yesterday from centering my new sticker on the rear windshield and I decided I would figure out why my horn wasn't working.

I traced it to the ground wire that goes down the center of the steering column and connects to a tab on the steering coupler on the gearbox side.

I jacked her front end up and decided I would crawl around while I was reconnecting the wire and do some exploring for my upcoming drop-spindle project.

My steering coupler is half gone, well maybe one third, but still kind of scarry. affraid Going to pick one of those up tomorrow for replacement tomorrow night.

My steering box is leaking from every possible spot so I was thinking of swapping that out as well.

Is changing out the gearbox a big deal? It looks fairly straight forward, but I was not sure about getting any of the couplers or drop arm to come off. Can this be done in an evening without pulling the gas tank?

Any thoughts or comments?

Should I just stick to replacing the coupler and wait on the gearbox when I do the front end?

scratch
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement   Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Yeah.. you have lived this long with the gearbox.. wait for that until the front end.

But do the steering coupler NOW.. also get the rubber style, not the urethane
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement   Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:25 am

It is not like this was scarry or anything affraid

Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement Steeri10

Well, it is replaced with a new 'RUBBER' one now. Glad my horn wasn't working.

cheers
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement   Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 am

I agree. The rubber will hold up much better than the urethane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement   Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering Coupler Gearbox Replacement
Page 1 of 1