Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Swap Meet Find Gone Bad

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Swap Meet Find Gone Bad Empty
PostSubject: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 pm

I am such a noob. I swear I am so pissed at myself.

So I scored a set of short intake manifolds for May at the swap meet. I was thrilled. These things are normally over a benjamin and they drop the Kadron carbs down so the deck lid springs will clear the air cleaners on a Ghia.

I picked up new gaskets, and cleaned up the intakes and was just settling in for a nice quiet evening of wrenching in the garage after a LONG week at work.

Visions of a deck lid that would stay up on its own without the use of a broomstick danced in my head.

Then reality hit.

Swap Meet Find Gone Bad Bummer10

It is hard to see in the picture, but the bottom hole has the appropriate threads for the mounting studs.

HOWEVER, the top hole has had its threads drilled out.

ARGH!!!

I know I can tap the hole, find a larger stud, or something, but it is more work than I was prepared for tonight.

Bummer....
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: what   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Does it go through or is a stud.I can see light on the other on not the bigger one. I bet if you buy a Ghia he will fix it for you. And I will be driving by your house Sunday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 am

If you can't get a nut on the bottom, a heli-coil might do the trick. Don't feel bad, I have yet to come home from a swap meet without at least one piece of junk!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:18 am

They are rounded on the bottom.

So I either flatten it out for a nut and washer or try to find a few heli-coils.

Any source for metric coils nearby?

Looking at the other intake, both holes are drilled out.

Well, at least they are clean now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:36 am

I think Reibes carries them. If you have to buy the whole kit, they can be spendy.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: hey   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 am

I have one set of coils no tap or inserter tool they may be America I will check tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: another option   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 am

On a 1.8 ltr Type 4 motor the exhaust studs are 9mm on one end and 8 on the other. Rare but sometimes obtainable. The last time I needed some I got them at BusDepo. Retap and go I will look some more.

David
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Take it to a machine shop and have them bush it and re-tap it. That will be your best bet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swap Meet Find Gone Bad   Swap Meet Find Gone Bad Empty

Back to top Go down

Swap Meet Find Gone Bad
Page 1 of 1