Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Megasquirt Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: Megasquirt Thread   Megasquirt Thread EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 pm

OK, so in an effort of good faith and to keep from hi-jacking other threads I am starting an 'official' megasquirt thread where we can document our megasquirt effort.

I am definately building a megasquirt turbo for the '7x Ghia. David is in on it, and I like the idea of stufifng a type 4 in the back end.

I think Jeff might be in as well, so my hope is we can contain alot of the knowledge in this thread. If anyone else is interested, I think it is going to be a blast.

For anyone who is wondering, the megasquirt system is basicly an 'open source' ECM unit for fuel injection which is high configurable. Much more than most of the proprietary fuel injection systems out in the market.

I am looking at doing dual throttle bodies...

I am just in the research phase and was beginning to come up with a list of parts needed. I will post my list when I get it together with what I think the expected costs are.

I may order a the PCB for the megasquirt next week so I can begin the assembly of that. A fair amount of soldering and I am comfortable with that...

A big thanks to David for a new addiction... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: this may help   Megasquirt Thread EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:58 pm

I have a few of these. I have some dont ask how many but they will never be a Carburator but would make great Throttle bodies. They were part of my Weber education. Always try the mixture screws. Signs of water run. I may have a set of Dellorto's

Megasquirt Thread 9-26-119

So this will help Matt sleep tonight

cheers
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: I have a dream   Megasquirt Thread EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Matt I can make up a empty motor for mocking up everything. Block, cylinders, head, type 4 cooling if you want. Exhaust would have to be a short time borrow. I do have a set of bus heater boxes and a set of stripped boxes, poor boy headers.

Now Jeff the same can go for you. So if you Ghia guys want to look at what a Type 4 in you Ghia looks like I can help. What I would envision it to look like is a Porsche 912E 1976 only engine compartment, but smaller.

Now cooling tin may also be an option but I would need to see the motor in first. I think if you leave the fan on the crank you have to hack up a set of tin. Good news I believe I have two sets of cut tin.

Now time is an issue the stuff is spread out a bit I need to finish the bug and me and Chris have to get ready for a track day coming up soon. This stuff is on loan, so no strings going either way, ok.

Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megasquirt Thread   Megasquirt Thread EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 pm

That would be cool, although no hurry.

Whenever it fits into your schedule.

I have looked a little bit at the various Type 4 upright conversions and I am still looking into those.

Right now I am focused on researching the EFI piece of the puzzle.

I may do EFI on the '69 for a bit just to get into it.

So let's talk throttle bodies. I am looking for a pair of 44 IDFs, those seem to be the easiest to convert...

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: 40 44   Megasquirt Thread EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

There is not a whole lot of difference between the two. I believe I have a few bodies of each.

You will need some of these

Megasquirt Thread 140

some of these

Megasquirt Thread 140

You weld the injector bosses on the intakes, make sure they are compatible metal. I have some steel ones because I was working with steel you would want aluminum.

These for your exhaust, get the curved ones they conform to the pipe better

Megasquirt Thread 140

This is what you will need

Back to top Go down
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megasquirt Thread   Megasquirt Thread EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am

Or if you wanted to keep it simple you could do something like this http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=320 and run a single throttle body. This would help keep cost down. Plenty of guys are running a single and making BIG numbers

If you insist on running duals you could go this route http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=81
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: This is what I am running   Megasquirt Thread EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 am

I am currently running a single throttle body with four direct port injectors. Standard type 4 injection hardware. Except bigger injectors and a after market TPS. Dual Throttle bodies look good but I am sick of sinking them.

David
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Megasquirt Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megasquirt Thread   Megasquirt Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Megasquirt Thread
Page 1 of 1