Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to adjust my adjustable front end

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

How to adjust my adjustable front end Empty
PostSubject: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 pm

I craw under my car do a couple of turns on the torsion bar an wham lowered. This this (my bug) is driving me nuts. Its an older adjustable drop front end I am guessing. 19 mm nut with a allen stud on the bottom and the same set up horizontally. On both the top and bottom tube. I loosen the locking 19mm and back off the allen, both top and bottom. Play around with the horizontal set up. I raised the car and put the front wheels on blocks so I can watch the action and nothing. It looks like Spencers car.

I played with it maybe I have to drive it and it will settle down.

I will go check on Don and see it he is alright, poor guy another year older.

maybe he should call 1 888 GET- A TURBO

cheers scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch study study study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Are you bottoming out on the shocks? I've got dual adjusters on the '70, and it don't take many turns for it to move up or down.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: what do you do   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm

do you want more tension or less. I will pull the shocks.

DC
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 1:37 am

First thing.. do NOT adjust the nut/bolt going into the beam.. that is holding the torsion bars in place.

When I lower.. I leave the car on the ground and turn the vertical nut/bolt out till I am happy with it.
When I lift.. I jack up the car and do the opposite.

A quarter inch on the bolts (top and bottom) is around an inch on the wheels.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: My question   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am

It is not backwards, screw out drop screw up raise. My money is on Eric, shocks bottoming out. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Sorry, my internet died in the middle of our chat last night. Brad's right, just loosen the jam nut on the torsion bar pinch screw. Back out the adjusting screw to lower.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: shocks   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm

I bet it is the shocks. I got a set for a lowered bug at a swap meet in a bulk buy.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

What do you mean '....in the middle of our chat'????

I never get to have chat sessions!

Even if I am paying for them!
Damn, that is it. I am moving to Denmark.

Last edited by Mateo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: matt   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 am

So you like to chat, affraid
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: maybe I did it   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Looking at the front end maybe I did drop it. If I go much lower my big 7inch rims may rub.

Driver side

How to adjust my adjustable front end 3-26-110

How to adjust my adjustable front end 3-26-111

Passenger side

How to adjust my adjustable front end 3-26-112

Later guys
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: what it needsd   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I need to do half a click on the passenger rear to even it out. study
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: adjusters   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 pm

This looks like my adjusters

How to adjust my adjustable front end 3k63m13le5Z15Q55S1b44336a20e124811cd2

This is a good price ?????
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2304528490.html

ad is below

vw bug ghia adjustable king pin beam 125 need core back . 209 642 3131
I have one 3 in. narrowed beam 125 need core .

cheers
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 pm

For the narrowed beam it is.

For just and adjustable.. I guess if you don't want to do it. The adjusters will run you 30 to 50 bucks for both.. then weld them in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 pm

That's the adjusters I've used. They're $12.95 each from CIP1. His price isn't bad if you don't want to do it yourself. Check the beam with a straight-edge before you buy it 'tho. Unless they're built in a jig, it's really hard to put a beam back together straight. Just my two cents....
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: i dont want one   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am

I would do it myself. Have welder will make.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Atta Boy!
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Yeah.. that is what I am going to do. Speaking of which, need to get over to your house Eric and pick up that beam. I could at least start prepping it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 pm

It's still here.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Good deal.. the biggest problem has been getting a day my wife does not work so I can steal the van to pick it up.. don't think it is going to fit in the bug to well... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm

It's broke down in pieces if that helps. If it's cool, I might hold on to the arms for the moment. Hoping to do mine in a month or so.... If you need them before I do, you can take them. We'll work something out.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 pm

That will work.. I will start on the beam.. once that is done, then we shall see who is closest to the arms then do some sort of swap.

And yes, now that I know it is broke down... that will work.

Are you joining us Sunday? (Don't need to bring it then, just was wondering)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Sounds good on the beam. I won't be making it Sunday. Things are real slow at work right now, so I'm working side jobs on the weekends. Bummed to have to miss the cruise.....oh well.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

MARY IS OUT OF TOWN AND WITH MY VIP PASS I HAVE 2 PEOPLE/1 CAR PASS. I AM USING OF COARSE THE CAR AND 1 PERSON PASS SO I HAVE AN EXTRA WRISTBAND FOR ADMITTANCE FOR SUNDAY. JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Cliff   How to adjust my adjustable front end EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 am

Cliff you need some eye candy, and no cameras

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust my adjustable front end   How to adjust my adjustable front end Empty

Back to top Go down

How to adjust my adjustable front end
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next