Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates

Go down 
+6
SurfinSuzie
Low Class
60herbie53
type 4
Andy
Mateo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates Empty
PostSubject: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Look what I found under the carpet in the back of May:

Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates By_pla10

Might try to clean them up and use them.

cheers

1969 is when Cali switched from Black and Yellow to Blue and Yellow so I am not entirely sure they are original to the car.

scratch

But they might be cool. Not sure what the exact process is one has to go throught with DMV, but I heard it was a possibility...
Back to top Go down
Andy
State Route
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 pm

good luck with that one. They would not let me keep my black and yellow plates for the buggy even though I had the old pink slip proving they were for my car. Hope your luck with DMV is better than mine. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: You can do it   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 pm

My Willys had 1963 plates and I could run them I just could not do it through AAA. Special form look it up on DMV

Now my plates are stamped 1963 instead of a sticker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Andy wrote:
good luck with that one. They would not let me keep my black and yellow plates for the buggy even though I had the old pink slip proving they were for my car. Hope your luck with DMV is better than mine. Evil or Very Mad

Everybody has better luck at DMV than you did Andy!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Andy   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 pm

I understand they have to be the same year as your car. But it is a rumor.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 am

Kyle put black/yellow plates on his Herbie without any trouble.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 am

I have some info that I will dig up for the plate transfer. I have my plates along with the proper 1964 sticker and DMV paperwork. they do not make it easy, but it can be done. Matt I believe that those plates may by the original according to the beginning letter. My plates start with "A" and are a little for my 64.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Just take your plates that you have now and paint them black and yellow... Thats what my cousin and i did for his car. No-one knew the wiser.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: spencer   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Spencer you may be a mad scientist after all

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I did read where some people order personalized plates that match the older plates and then just run the stickers on the old plates.

Cuts through some red tape even though it is in a 'grey area'.

We'll see, I am going to go to the DMV and inquire.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't see why they make such a deal about it. As long as you have the originals and no one else is using the same plate combination, who cares?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm

60herbie53 wrote:
I don't see why they make such a deal about it. As long as you have the originals and no one else is using the same plate combination, who cares?
Some nit-pickin' ,rapid transit riding little pencil pusher in a cubbyhole at DMV!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I know you're right.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Welcome   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Next
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:07 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I registered mine, no trouble. They were allowed as of June of last year, I think. Maybe June of 2009.

Things to know and do:

Few DMV employees have done this transaction, and they're bound to be confused.

Most, if not all, black and yellows are stamped "63."

Black w yellow plates. 1963-1969.
If you don't have a 1963 car, you have to go on eBay, or Google it, and there's a guy who sells NOS CA year stickers and another who sells reproduction CA year stickers.
Get them before you attempt to re-register them.

The plates have to be in good condition. You must have the pair, and have the year sticker installed before you go in.
If someone gives you shit, ask for the supervisor, or take another number and get someone else who knows what they're doing, or go to another branch.

You pay an additional $10 a year, like a vanity plate, unless they've been on the car continuously since they were new. Even if they were original to the car, if they've been replaced with something else at any point, you'll have to pay the $10 yearly.

Note. You'll have to restore that one plate. It won't pass condition. Has to be about a 7 out of 10 or better. The colors are Gloss Black and Chrome Yellow (yellow with a hint of orange).
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Sweet!

I think there was a guy at the TRP indoor swap that was doing something with registration stickers.

But thanks for the information. cheers
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:01 am

The biggest key to the DMV is patience and to kill them with kindness!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: bribe them   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:04 am

Bribe them
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:12 am

....or threaten them.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Gregg   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:15 am

I PAY TAXES
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 am

That's a bad approach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 am

My wife made the coment "I can't wait til Socialized Medicine runs this efficiently" on our 2nd trip to DMV to smog a '66 dunebuggy. Didn't help. But got us a 3rd trip to DMV.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Can you see it   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

With our new health care system on you 50th birthday you go into a room with 20 other guys and assume the position and you get you prostate check. Your birthday present from the government
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 am

Just don't let the Doctor put both of his hands on your shoulders. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates   Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates Empty

Back to top Go down

Cool Discovery - Black and Yellow CA Plates
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: