Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I need to go lower

Go down 
+3
Bradford
Mateo
Paul. T
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Yep. The rear on Coca Cola isnt low enough for and since Im getting my rear wheels widened it would look alot better if they were tucked. So, is it hard to do? a one brave man job?. Ive been told its takes about 2 people, but Ive also been told that about swapping out the motor and Ive done about 4 of those alone. Im thinking about putting 205/70/15 on the rear but not sure if I'll rub.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 pm

If I can do it solo, I am sure you can figure it out.

I used Rob and Dave's method and things went pretty smooth.

http://www.vw-resource.com/rearaxle.html

Since you want to go lower, just reverse the process as they are raising the rear end to remove sag.

It is important to keep track of the number of splines you are moving on the outside and inside of the torsion rods.

Eric (SpeedBuggy) posted a thread on here about taking a measurement instead of measuring the angle.

I used his method and it was spot on and a heck of alot easier.

Go for it, what's the worse that could happen, you end up with a Baja??

Here's the link with Eric's technique and some other good information from the gang.

https://stateroutevdubs.forumotion.com/t23-lowering-the-rear-of-your-ride

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

the 205's should be fine.. I always run 205/60/15 in the rears and never had a problem. If you rub anywhere.. it will be on the bolt that goes into the spring plate.. you can change that out for a counter sink bolt so it wont rub.. but again, I ran 205's on my 65 and 66 with no problems.

If you look in the tech section.. then find the post about lowering the rear.. Jeff posted actual measurements for every spline turn.. inner and outer.. It really is an easy job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Admin wrote:
the 205's should be fine.. I always run 205/60/15 in the rears and never had a problem. If you rub anywhere.. it will be on the bolt that goes into the spring plate.. you can change that out for a counter sink bolt so it wont rub.. but again, I ran 205's on my 65 and 66 with no problems.

If you look in the tech section.. then find the post about lowering the rear.. Jeff posted actual measurements for every spline turn.. inner and outer.. It really is an easy job.

Awesome. The reason for the 70 though is because firestone makes a white wall in that size. I dont know Im going to do about the front, maybe Ill get over having fake stuff and will be able to put port-a-walls
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: stop the press   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Mr Day has a set of white wall things for sale or he did pm him it is mr michael day he is a member
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: paul   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Paul you may want to replace your trailing arm bushings when you have it apart. I used the red urethane and it was not bad. Silver sharpie is what I marked my bars with. BTW no short cuts I tried on the first side, you do have to remove the shocks and emergency brake cable.

David
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:53 pm

type 4 wrote:
Paul you may want to replace your trailing arm bushings when you have it apart. I used the red urethane and it was not bad. Silver sharpie is what I marked my bars with. BTW no short cuts I tried on the first side, you do have to remove the shocks and emergency brake cable.

David

Cool, Ill wait for the weekend to do it then. So I can make sure Ive got all day and night to make sure its done right.
Back to top Go down

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 pm

If you replace the bushings, remember to rub them down with baby powder or powdered graphite before installing. That way, they won't squeak.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: I have used   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 11:12 pm

I have a big can of anti seize the silver stuff that gets all over you but it does not squeak scratch
Back to top Go down

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 11:43 pm

type 4 wrote:
I have a big can of anti seize the silver stuff that gets all over you but it does not squeak scratch

That works too! Just kinda messy....
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Eric   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 am

Use what you have. I discovered it when I did the Porsche a few year ago nothing else made sense
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:40 am

I think that 205/70R-15 is going to be too tall for your car. If you're lowering it (and of course it all depends on how low you go) I'd stick with the 205/60R-15 and absolutely no bigger than the 205/65R-15. It's all about test fitting but I don't see any way that the 70 series is going to work here.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 am

Here's my old '64. It was dropped 2 splines and was running 195/60R-15's in the rear.

I need to go lower 002-vi
I need to go lower 004-vi
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 am

Beautiful. Did you sell that? I remember when I first started looking for a vw I had seen it but it was out of my price range
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 am

Yeah, I sold it. Sad Mad

The guy I sold it to has become a good friend of mine though. I still get to touch it every now and again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 11:44 pm

You wanna touch it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 am

Dammit Dann!!

Yes, I wanna touch it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 am

I knew you did.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: paul   I need to go lower EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Why dont you bring it to a Tech day and lower it
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:20 pm

"I need to go lower."

Wow, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that whispered in a dark room..."
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 pm

I'd have two bucks! Yay!
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Now you can buy that new house you always wanted!
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower EmptyMon May 02, 2011 4:05 am

Today I replaced my rear shocks with "Stock Replacements" from WW. Now the rear sits lower. Rides a little smoother, but now Im thinking the front looks high. I would lower it but I think since Im trying to sell it its best to leave it where its at.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I need to go lower Empty
PostSubject: Re: I need to go lower   I need to go lower Empty

Back to top Go down

I need to go lower
Page 1 of 1