Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia

Go down 
+4
silvertonguedevil
type 4
60herbie53
Mateo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia Empty
PostSubject: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:56 am

I have been trying to figure out what headlights these are for months.

I finally figured it out tonight.

You car studs and studettes probably already knew this.

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia Ghia_w11

Close up:

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia Ghia_w12

So I was able to find a post that called these out as headlights from a Mini Cooper 2001 - 2005.

That's it, I putting them on the '73...

cheers
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 1:59 am

That actually looks pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Matt   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 2:05 am

We have a set of projector head lights from an Lexus we are going to morphine into a single bulb. We heated the lens with a heat gun and got the projector now I have to work on a round bulb.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Yeah, I usually don't like that sorta thing but that looks pretty badass! I say you should go for it!
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:13 pm

When I used to frequent the Norcal Aircooled Group website, there was a guy that did the swap on his Squareback. Came out nice.

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia DSCF1639

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia DSCF2788

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia DSCF2830
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I have seen a ghia with mercedez head lights. they looked really good. I think it was in a vw book i have.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:29 pm

They look dumb on that pointy-nosed square back. And what F--k did he do to the rearend of that poor thing? '59 Caddy taillights! Really? That needs to be in the abortion thread on the Samba!!

Why don't you frequent their website anymore? I haven't heard a whole lot of good stuff about them here recently. What's up?
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:02 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote:

Why don't you frequent their website anymore? I haven't heard a whole lot of good stuff about them here recently. What's up?

It all started when they changed the layout of the website. Plus I haven't gone to any meets in over a year, but only because I'm usually busy those nights. Then, once I got out of the habit of visiting the site, one thing led to another, and 8 months later I logged on to get those pictures. The same thing happened with a Chevy Nova site I'm part of. I go on that on often again though.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: talent   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Some people have incredible talent. Great metal skils
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm

That is the part that has me a little concerned, the metal work.

I am not sure I have the metal shaping skills I had back in high school and college.

We'll see. If I get in over my head maybe I can find someone to bail me out.

affraid

I also found a picture of one that had the mini cooper head lamps and some 'marker' lights below that were inset as well.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Matt   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I hate body work but I have a welder. My friend who BUILDS 1000 hp Corvette's has a Tig welder we can use.

Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Sans turn signals, the aesthetics are compromised on the front end.
That's the tasteful way of saying it.

Another observation. He spent all that time on it, yet the hood and rear apron are all dinged up.
It was an interesting study, but ultimately with a poor execution. I'll give it this, it's unique.
Such mods require that you finish the job, though. The unfinished body work and cheap unimaginative flat paint simply don't do it any justice.

They warn everyone, don't post stuff for the world to see unless you're ready for the critique.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:43 pm

So who wants to help cut the front of the '73?

I have a source for the mini cooper headlights.

Do you think the Ghia will reject the headlights off a mini cooper like the human body rejects an organ transplant?

The mini cooper does have water pumping through it so it is almost like Alien vs. Predator.

(Please do not hijack my thread, if you would like to talk about how ALIEN totally kicks Predator's a$$, we can discuss that in the 'Chat' forum)

But I think the challenge is cutting that angle in the headlight area of the body and then trying to roll a flat lip. With all the curves and angles I am a bit nervous.

SPEEDIE! What are you doing after graduation????
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:50 pm

I don't know Matt.. it looks a little "bug Eyed"... I will try to find the the post about using the Porsche headlights.. they looked really good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:54 pm

OH!

I don;t know if I have seen that???

I like Porsche, cousins...
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 2:27 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78539&highlight=father+son

That one they did older bug headlights.

I can not find a pic anymore of the ghia, but found out they used the Porsche 933 headlights
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:03 am

That one looks cool too!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Matt   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:39 am

Our intentions for the Lexus projectors was to mount them in our 63 VW lights.

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia 1999_lexus_es_300_4_dr_std_sedan-pic-28073

We heated the lights up and got rid of all the plastic lenses. It has two projectors high and low we were only going to use one and use HID's to power them. So you would have a old school with modern night vision.

I will get some pics to show you.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 11:24 am

@ Dave... they sell an HID kit for the bugs now. I know that the lexus might be free.. but sounds like a lot of work.. but still interested in seeing it.

@ Kyle... I don't think that is flat paint.. that looks like the primer I use a lot.. it's called 'tan'.. but looks yellow. I like using it when I primer a car, so it does not look like "primer".. gray or brick red. So probably not done with the body work yet in that photo.

@ everyone reading this thread.. I cleaned it up to get back on topic. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:28 pm

No apology needed. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Brad   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Brad the HID's were not the the reason for the projectors. We have then in Chris's Honda.

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6y80lH60fAdc5eWCYlrjj4Heixb4RLZjK9Ma74gmFK8EpAy9E

Like this but not. The fab work should not be to hard but I think it would be incredible at night.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:47 pm

It should make a world of difference.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: look what I found   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyTue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I found this place for projectors

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=221&osCsid=ad9e005f5a6db204e3a48d41d041523f

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia TRS%20FX-R%20Bi-xenon%20Projector%202s

The FX-R bi-xenon projector rocked the retrofitting world being the first truly high performance projector on the market designed for the purpose of retrofitting. With its small size, easy to mount design, and outrageous performance we can hardly keep them in stock

How you could use these on your build would be tough, I still think behind my type of headlight on the bug will work just fine.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:58 pm

It'll be cool to see how you do it Dave.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:49 am

this is low on the list. The old headlights will be easier or you have to modify a plastic backed pair of non sealed beams
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia   I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia Empty

Back to top Go down

I figured it out - Mini Headlights on a Ghia
Page 1 of 1