Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Double check your lug nuts...

Go down 
+2
Mateo
Davids74Super
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

Double check your lug nuts... Empty
PostSubject: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:28 am

My dad pulled the rear tires off his 29 Model A today to check some things out. He used the impact gun to tighten the lugs.

He took it for a drive, and all the lug nuts one one wheel loosened up, the wheel came off, the car crashed to the ground, and slid over.

Our theory was the impact didn't tighten the lugs tight enough, and the motion of the wheel turning made them come off.

Luckily there was no major damage, just the brake drum, rear fender, and some scrape marks on the spring perch.

He was able to drive it home.

Double check your lug nuts... 250152_1775716000237_1459462750_31559977_1056262_n

Just use a lug wrench.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:38 am

Ouch! I learned that same lesson a long time ago.....
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:45 am

Me too.

Impact wrench and then torque...

Luckily the trailer that the wheel came off of had triples.

<whew>

Oh, and here is an odd one. If you ever spend a couple of nights in sub-zero temperatures, it's always a good idea to check your lug nuts. The seem to shrink and loosen up in extreme cold.

Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:08 am

NEVER rely on an impact wrench or a lug wrench. ALWAYS hand torque your lug nuts. It's something I've learned from working at Les Schwab for 16 years. It is imperative!! Glad to see that everyone is ok and that the car is fixable. I hope a lesson was learned!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:27 am

Yes a torque wrench is necessary. Sorry to hear about that David. At least he is okay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

YES. TORQUE WRENCH. LUG NUTS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE SET TO A PARTICULAR TORQUE FOR EACH MAKE AND MODEL. Evil or Very Mad NEVER EVER, EVER NEVER USE AN IMPACT TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS. THEY GET OVER TORQUED THE NUTS AND STRETCH THE THREADS ON THE STUD.....THEN THEY DONT HOLD.

TO INSTALL LUG NUTS HAND INSTALL NUTS ONTO 2-3 THREADS, AS YOU WIGGLE THE TIRE/WHEEL LIGHTLY BUZZ DOWN 2 OPPOSITE LUGS WITH YOUR GUN ON THE LOWEST SETTING (IF ITS NOT ADJUSTABLE DONT USE IT!). THEN LIGHTLY BUZZ DOWN THE REMAINING LUGS. LOWER CAR SO TIRES ARE ON THE GROUND AND ROUGHLY HALF THE VEHICLE WEIGHT IS ON THE WHEEL. USE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH SET TO THE PROPER TORQUE FOR YOUR VEHICLE, AND HAND TORQUE EACH LUG IN A CROSS PATTERN TILL ALL ARE DONE. COMPLETELY LOWER VEHICLE SO FULL VEHICLE WEIGHT IS ON THE WHEELS AND RETORQUE BY HAND USING THE CROSS PATTERN.

REPEAT FOR ALL WHEELS.

WARNING:
IF YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE HAS USED AN IMPACT GUN TO INSTALL AND TIGHTEN LUGS AT ANY TIME IT IS A GREAT (THE BEST) IDEA TO REPLACE ALL STUD AND LUG NUTS AND INSTALL AS DIRECTED ABOVE. AFTER ABOUT 500 MILES RETORQUE ALL LUG NUTS IF THIS IS DONE.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:57 am

Wow Cliff! Shocked

You want a job?

lol!

That was perfect!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:06 pm

We always use our torque wrench on ours. Yesterday I was on my way home from tech and double checked mine. When I stopped at a friends home. I could not remember tightening both sides
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Better safe than sorry!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Double check your lug nuts...   Double check your lug nuts... Empty

Back to top Go down

Double check your lug nuts...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: