Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My 69 Fastback project

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

My 69 Fastback project Empty
PostSubject: My 69 Fastback project   My 69 Fastback project EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Well I started with a pancake engine that I was told started but had problems running. Somebody (prior to the previous owner) had converted the fuel injection over to dual carbs. I just havent gotten around to checking and running numbers yet but I did look at the carbs. They were stock carbs off of a 64-67 type 3.
[img]My 69 Fastback project 2010-031[/img]

When I got it home I tried starting it. It started but wouldnt run. I started tweeking the carbs and with about 5-6 turns in past where it should have been on the throttle plate adjustment I got it to "idle" at about 2000-2500 rpms. I then pulled the tops of the carbs off to check them out.......wow! all kinds of grid, one of the gaskets were folded over on itself, and almost solid (not liquid) gas in the bottom of the bowls.

After rebuilding the carbs got it to idle pretty steady at about 1600-2000 rpm at about 4 1/2 turns on the throttle plates. So kept tinkering, tinkering, tinkering. OK IVE HAD IT!

At the Deb's Frosty's cruise I talked to a guy that had a single Empi or Weber setup. He didnt do the work himself but said it was great. Much better then the prior car he had (fuel injected) and the prior dual carb setup he had before this. So went home checked the books and ordered one from Chirco.com (if your a volksrods.com coalition member you get 10% off with them).

Got the new carb setup on the car last night. Finally got it running at about 900-1200 rpms working with just the flashlight at about 10:20pm.

This morning before I had to take off to go to work I started it (right up cheers ) Let it idle a few minutes and took off around the block...about a 1/4 mile trip. Ive tryed that trip about half a dozen times over the last month or so Ive had it. Never made it the hole way. This morining it did!!! cheers The only issue I noticed is some popping like one of the plugs or wires are misfiring. So..........Im going to attempt the 35 +/- mile trip from home to the shop tomorrow so I can do some fine tuning where I have real space and tools. Brad says he'll be by round 1pm so any others that want to come by......its about 50 yards up the hill past Larry and Lena's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: My 69 Fastback project   My 69 Fastback project EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Did I miss the pictures of this beast?
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: My 69 Fastback project   My 69 Fastback project EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Maybe......there in the photo gallery
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: My 69 Fastback project   My 69 Fastback project EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Smogman72 wrote:
Maybe......there in the photo gallery

Embarassed Gotcha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 69 Fastback project   My 69 Fastback project Empty

Back to top Go down

My 69 Fastback project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-