Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My 66 Bug Project Thread.

Go down 
+11
silvertonguedevil
Smogman72
60herbie53
Jim Douglas Jr
Mateo
Bahabuggin
type 4
dsimas
916pat
Davids74Super
justcruzin
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
justcruzin

justcruzin

My 66 Bug Project Thread. Empty
PostSubject: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:52 pm

In the welcome section I said I would share pics of my progress on my 66 bug. So here is my pics! Very Happy

Going home!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. 5f360a8f

Home at last.

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1180

A few before interior shots,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1184

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1185

Engine bay
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1208

First bath,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. Bd7798e1-1

After waxing with Blue Ice wax. I want to do it again with TR-3. I saw some results of that stuff and I am hoping it will really make her shine!
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1262

Engine before,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1290

Engine after! Yah, I'm a girl, I love purple! LOL
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1315

Today we gave her belly another wash down! Very Happy
My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1328

There are more pics and better detail on the progress on The Samba under "My New 66, Getting back into bugs!" I tried to put a link to it on here but I got a message saying i'm not allowed to. Is this because I'm a newbie?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:05 am

Nice Bug! Looks like you're making a lot of progress. I love the 4 wheel car lift!
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 am

speedbuggy wrote:
Nice Bug! Looks like you're making a lot of progress. I love the 4 wheel car lift!

LOL, that is the tow yards (hubby works for them) fork lift. We needed it for other things today so we used it to wash the bugs belly! We actually own a smaller one, but this one has better forks and is a bit more sturdy. Not sure if I would be getting under the car if we used ours, even though it would lift it! LOL
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 am

That first picture looks like it was taken on Harbor Blvd.
Back to top Go down
916pat

916pat

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 am

cool bug, looks like watt and elkhorn to me.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:52 am

916pat wrote:
cool bug, looks like watt and elkhorn to me.

Yep, that is where we were at! I bought the car in Elverta! Now she lives over by Arden Fair Mall! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Got a little more done to the bug today!

67 only brake reservoir is in! I still need to pull it back out to take care of the rust, but at least the holes were drilled.

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1680

Also got the zoom tube and regulator installed. Hubby put a dent in the tube Crying or Very sad , but I guess I can say it matches the rest of the car now! LOL

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1681

Tomorrow I need to change the steering tie rod thingy, and after that I should be able to do whats left on the ground. Hubby needs the lift tomorrow night for a paying job so my bug has to come down. Only thing I think I need the lift for now is the axle boots and heater thingy's that go under the car. That is minor stuff though and wont stop me from takeing a test drive.

With what we got done today, will give me plenty of things I can do on ground level. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey Kim,

Very cool! I was doing brakes on my bus today too. New brakes all around, new master cyl and reservoir. Aren't projects fun?

Looking forward to your next installment. Smile
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 pm

dsimas wrote:
Hey Kim,

Very cool! I was doing brakes on my bus today too. New brakes all around, new master cyl and reservoir. Aren't projects fun?

Looking forward to your next installment. Smile

Yes they are! This is the reason I wanted to get back into bugs. I wanted a project "I" could do. Something that I would only need minimal help from hubby! With what he helped me with today, should give me plenty I can do on my own.

I need to do my brakes too. I haven't even looked or even stepped on the brake pedal for that matter! LOL Reason we had to do the reservoir was because the PO had changed the master cylinder to a 2 line style. He used a reservoir out of a 68 or newer. He had it wired to the spare tire! Not good if you get a flat! We lucked out and found the 67 only reservoir at PnP so we now can keep the master cylinder and run two lines and still have a spare tire! LOL I figure I will test the brakes before I take her out for her first test drive, but will probably not get to them till later on in the game.

I don't plan on driving her anywhere but around the block till I get some of the interior work done. Right now I don't even have seats per say! My seats are pretty bad off. Need to be rebuilt, but we have someone that wants to put stock high back seats in his bug. We got a decent pair of high backs in our parts vw, so we will hopefully be trading ours for his low backs!!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Zoom tube now that is rare sight.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 pm

type 4 wrote:
Zoom tube now that is rare sight.

I had one on my last bug, about 10 years ago. We were at BugORama 2 years ago and found this one. Asked the guy how much, he said 10 Bucks!! Shocked I said it is mine!! LOL It was in near perfect condition, till hubby installed it on the bug today! Oh well, it matches the bumper now! LOL
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:48 am

I think your belt needs to be a little tighter than that.
I'm not a mechanic though
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 am

Bahabuggin wrote:
I think your belt needs to be a little tighter than that.
I'm not a mechanic though

Strange, no lights came on!! Oh, maybe because no battery! LOL

Yah, the belt has been tightened since the pic! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 am

Got some more done today!! Slowly getting closer to a test drive!!

Today I got the steering rod tie rod thingy changed!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1335

The old one is toward the bottom of the pic, I believe it was the original!

I also got the wiring all hooked up on the motor and the fresh air tube in place!! I had to run a wire for the license plate light, so had to get behind the tar paper I installed before we put the motor in. Sure wish I would have known there was no wire before I installed it! LOL I managed to squeeze my hand back there and got it hooked up. It would have worked if the bulb was any good. So I need to go get one of those.

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1336

With all the wires hooked up I was able to test the lights. I have brake lights, parking lights, and head lights, with high and low beam. I don't have any flashers. Not even the four way flashers. I got the four way switch to kind of flash the light on for a second, but that was it.

This is a 66 that has been converted to 12 volt. Here is the flasher box that the PO has in the car. Actually the one's in the pics are spares he had in the glove box. Because of having a total of 3 of these flashers, I'm wondering if there is a problem with using this style in this car? Should I be using something else?

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1337

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1338

Tomorrow I don't plan on working to much on the bug. I have been neglecting my poor little minis, so I plan on taking them down to the stables after work ( 9am in the morning! LOL ) Then once they have a good run I have to come home and go to bed so I can get up and work that night. Yuck. Usually I am to tired and feel like blah after I get up from my nap, so I never plan to do to much on Tuesday. You never know though, I may not be able to resist the pull of the bug! LOL
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:10 am

Looks great. The Samba should be able to help you with the flasher wiring.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 am

It is possible to eliminate the VW flasher unit and replace it with 3 regular 12 volt relays and a 12 volt flasher unit. I went this route, kind of fun. Or you can just spend like 25 bucks on an actual VW flasher and be done with it.

air-head parts has them...

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 am

Fry's has the pig tails
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Clean all your electrical connections and check that the light housings are well grounded. Also clean the contacts and blub bases in the turn signals. This is often the real problem. Thin layers of corrosion stopping contact.

Since you've been out of the hobby for a while, you've missed out on the greatest gadget. You might (read : you DO) want to invest in a $50 Compu-fire/Computronix, (several brands) electronic points replacement. You'll get better spark and better fuel mileage. When installed, I went about 2 degrees counter clockwise on the distributor.
getting 33 MPG highway and can climb a grade with any modern car. Also, no typical hesitation that you get with the Pict 34 carb/.009 distributor combination.
These take about 10 minutes to install. The smallest changes and gradual burning in the points can affect performance. This eliminates it permanently and responds better than any set of points can. The fuel savings alone will pay for it in a few tank fulls.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:01 pm

One of the best investments I have made is the Petronix.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:15 am

Ditto. I love the noticeable performance and economy increase.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Besides a tow bar, Pertronix ignition is the best money I've ever spent on a bug! Smile
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 pm

speedbuggy wrote:
Besides a tow bar, Pertronix ignition is the best money I've ever spent on a bug! Smile

TOTALLY AGREE
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Haven't done much on the bug the last couple days, but we did go to the In Rust We Trust swap meet and I found a few things!!

Found me a rear seat!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1707

It's not the best but it is a whole lot better then the one in the car now!

I also got a few little nick nack things.

Not sure where I want to mount this, but I really liked it!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1706

I got me a much need key chain for the bug and a key chain that will be used as decoration for the bus!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. IMG_1709

I found a horn ring there too, but we passed it up because it looked smaller then what should be on my car. I am probably going to be kicking myself for doing that, but here it goes... Do they make different horn rings for earlier years or do they all pretty much interchange? The guy had it marked "60's era" VW. Sure hope I was right on it being smaller because he wanted 20 bucks. It was a good deal if it was the right one, but not worth it for me if it wasn't. Although I guess I could have turned around and sold it to one of you guys! LOL

I am hoping to get the back seat exchanged tomorrow. Just need to figure out how to un hook the carpet that runs along the seat that fills in the gap when the seat is down. I've never removed one before! I will learn tomorrow! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 pm

That emblem is cool! What is it from? I've never seen one before.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

speedbuggy wrote:
That emblem is cool! What is it from? I've never seen one before.

It is just an aftermarket thing. It is held on with sticky stuff on the bottom. It's supposed to be a hood ornament, but the guy said he wouldn't guarantee it to stay on passed 50 mph! LOL He said that people are putting them on their dashes or in the back windows. I thought it would look pretty neat on the hood, but I don't want to lose it and I don't want to drill holes in it or the hood, so I'm not sure where I want it. The dash is to narrow and the emblem hangs off the edge about a 1/2 inch.

I might be albe to put it on the hood by using the stuff they install windshields with. My hubby's kid works for a windshield installation place so he can get the glue and can probably squirt a dab on the bottom of the emblem. THen it won't fall off, but it would pull paint off if I ever wanted to take it off!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. Empty

Back to top Go down

My 66 Bug Project Thread.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next