Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

thing fan shroud?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
916pat

916pat

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 pm

so some of you may have seen my post about a 40 horse motor I picked up. The motor was suposed to be a turn key runner, well long story short its not. needs piston and cylinder set. everything else looks to be in very good condition. anyway, I came across a photo on the samba of a thing fan shroud for sale for $425. looking at it I noticed its the same shroud that came with my 40 horse. turns out that thing shrouds are very desirable and worth pretty good money. if someone here knows anything about these please let me know. The only thing I'm not sure about is that mine does not have a doghouse, not sure if all things did or not. anyone know of a part number on shrouds? thanks. Pat.thing fan shroud? Photo011[img]thing fan shroud? Photo013
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I am no expert on this but I was looking at purchasing a '73 Thing once and it was supposed to have the 'original' motor and I did do some research on this topic.

An original '73 Thing fan shroud will have no fresh air vents in the back (as oriented with the car) AND it will have the 'doghouse' in the front for the oil cooler.

Since yours does not have the dog house, I would say it is not an elusive '73 Thing fan shroud.

But for that kind of money, I would get a second opinion. Like I said, I am no expert.
Back to top Go down
916pat

916pat

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:17 pm

yah, I don't think its a thing shroud just because of the doghouse cooler, but would really like it to be. looks to be an original vw part though.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Yea, definitely original VW.

I have a couple just like it.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 am

I would definitely research it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

thing fan shroud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: thing fan shroud?   thing fan shroud? Empty

Back to top Go down

thing fan shroud?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: