Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28

Go down 
+6
mr_michael_day
type 4
60herbie53
silvertonguedevil
Submarine Driver
Low Class
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 am

I was scared to eat ice cream from Penn-Tucky.. I was worried I would turn into a some one that collected cars on his property!!!!!!

Glad you guys had a good time! I will try to hit the next one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 am

Admin wrote:
I was worried I would turn into a some one that collected cars on his property!!!!!!

WATCH IT NOW! YOUR STEPPING ON TOES!! lol!

WHO SAYS COLLECTING VWs IS A BAD THING??
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm excited to get back in the loop! I haven't had much time to mess with my bug this summer and she hasn't been runnin right! I think I got it all figured out though, so hope to see you all again soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Admin wrote:
I was scared to eat ice cream from Penn-Tucky.. I was worried I would turn into a some one that collected cars on his property!!!!!!

Glad you guys had a good time! I will try to hit the next one.
Hey! I resemble that! Smile
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:27 am

Brist wrote:
I'm excited to get back in the loop! I haven't had much time to mess with my bug this summer and she hasn't been runnin right! I think I got it all figured out though, so hope to see you all again soon!
Glad to see you back around Brad.
Back to top Go down
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks guys! Still actually working on her! Having some charging issues! Brand new battery and generator/alternator (not sure which it is). Not getting any voltage or current at the generator! Think I got a defective part!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Is the light on the dashboard hooked up and functioning? Alternators won't charge if the light is not working properly.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Yup, the little light must be on prior to cranking otherwise no charge.

Spent a few on that one myself...
Back to top Go down
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 12:17 am

I don't have a little light on my dash! The dash is all custom with the mooneyes guages. Nothing is stock on the dash. The wiring is a little weird! The guy I bought it from "rewired" it Wink I'm not sure what the heck is going on though! It charged fine for a long time. We pulled the motor to put a new transaxle in it and I've been having touble ever since!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 am

You must have a connection to the D+ terminal on the alternator if it used to work.

Normally the D+ terminal goes to the dash indicator light, but if you don't have one then I would think it is wired to the positive side of the battery directly.

With the key on and not running, there should be 12 volts at the D+ post on the alternator. This is provided by the battery.

With the motor running this reading should be 14 volts indicating charge current from the alternator.

If the internal regulator on the alternator does not see this 12 volts, it will assume there is no connection to the battery and will not send any current.
Back to top Go down
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks, I will check it out and see what's going on! Hopefully I can figure it out without having to tear too deeply into it! Not having a garage is a pain in the butt!
Thanks again guys!
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 am

Now.. now... boys:

The light thing is for Alternators

For generators you have to energize the voltage regulator under the seat.

So what do you have Brist... Alternator or generator?
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm

That's a good point. Damn Brad you are a fart smeller.

If it's a generator, clean it up and sell it at BOR to some burned out hippie for a hundred bucks.

In the meantime, get an alternator... lol.

Kidding, good luck with your quest.

I am going to back to cussing at my brake lines.

(See that hijack right there? Careful you might miss it)
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Oh I saw it! You can't sneak one by me!
Back to top Go down
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:49 pm

It's a generator I'm sure of it! Just came in to check and see what you guys had to say, I have been working on it all morning, found a loose wire on the D+ side of things hoping that's going to solve my issue, if not more wire chasing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Do you have the ground strap hooked up from the tranny to the frame? That can cause problems also.
Back to top Go down
Brist

Brist

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm sure it is hooked up! When we replaced the trans I know I remembered to reinstall it! I've ran numerous tests on the generator and everything points to a bad gen! Going to get the new one tomorrow, hope it's the last I have to work on her for a while!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28   Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Penn Valley Ice Cream Cruise Wednesday, September 28
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2