Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW

Go down 
+3
Mateo
60herbie53
rayvallero
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rayvallero

rayvallero

PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW Empty
PostSubject: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

WHAT MAKES A GIVEN PLUG RIGHT FOR YOUR ENGINE ?
TELL ME ALL ABOUT GUY'S & GAL'S

Ray Vallero
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleros.com
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 am

I'll guess the heat range.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm with Dann. Heat range and length.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Hot plugs for street (low RPM, extended run).

Cold plugs for drag (high RPM, short bursts).

Always change your plugs for Friday night. Wink
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:52 am

Don't colder plugs actually have a hotter spark?
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

60herbie53 wrote:

No, spark comes from the Ign.
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 9:57 am

60herbie53 wrote:
I'll guess the heat range.

YES
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 pm

rayvallero wrote:
60herbie53 wrote:

No, spark comes from the Ign.

So where does the "heat range" come into play?
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 am

It's all about the heat range, you guy's did good on this. More later on this .
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

The title of this topic confused me. I wondered who Plug was.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:08 pm

HE's every where Smile
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Jim Douglas Jr wrote:
The title of this topic confused me. I wondered who Plug was.
I did a small tweak. Is it a little better?
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Heat range

The operating temperature of a spark plug is the actual physical temperature at the tip of the spark plug within the running engine. This is important because it determines the efficiency of plug self-cleaning and is determined by a number of factors, but primarily the actual temperature within the combustion chamber. There is no direct relationship between the actual operating temperature of the spark plug and spark voltage. However, the level of torque currently being produced by the engine will strongly influence spark plug operating temperature because the maximum temperature and pressure occurs when the engine is operating near peak torque output (torque and RPM directly determine the power output). The temperature of the insulator responds to the thermal conditions it is exposed to in the combustion chamber but not vice versa. If the tip of the spark plug is too hot it can cause pre-ignition or sometimes detonation/knocking and damage may occur. If it is too cold, electrically conductive deposits may form on the insulator causing a loss of spark energy or the actual shorting-out of the spark current.

A spark plug is said to be "hot" if it is a better heat insulator, keeping more heat in the tip of the spark plug. A spark plug is said to be "cold" if it can conduct more heat out of the spark plug tip and lower the tip's temperature. Whether a spark plug is "hot" or "cold" is known as the heat range of the spark plug. The heat range of a spark plug is typically specified as a number, with some manufacturers using ascending numbers for hotter plugs and others doing the opposite, using ascending numbers for colder plugs.

The heat range of a spark plug (i.e. in scientific terms its thermal conductivity characteristics) is affected by the construction of the spark plug: the types of materials used, the length of insulator and the surface area of the plug exposed within the combustion chamber. For normal use, the selection of a spark plug heat range is a balance between keeping the tip hot enough at idle to prevent fouling and cold enough at maximum power to prevent pre-ignition or engine knocking. By examining "hotter" and "cooler" spark plugs of the same manufacturer side by side, the principle involved can be very clearly seen; the cooler plugs have a less substantial ceramic insulator filling the gap between the center electrode and the shell, effectively allowing more heat to be carried off by the shell, while the hotter plugs have more ceramic material, so that the tip is more isolated from the body of the plug and retains heat better.

Heat from the combustion chamber escapes through the exhaust gases, the side walls of the cylinder and the spark plug itself. The heat range of a spark plug has only a minute effect on combustion chamber and overall engine temperature. A cold plug will not materially cool down an engine's running temperature. (Too hot of a plug may, however, indirectly lead to a runaway pre-ignition condition that can increase engine temperature.) Rather, the main effect of a "hot" or "cold" plug is to affect the temperature of the tip of the spark plug.

It was common before the modern era of computerized fuel injection to specify at least a couple of different heat ranges for plugs for an automobile engine; a hotter plug for cars which were mostly driven slowly around the city, and a colder plug for sustained high speed highway use. This practice has, however, largely become obsolete now that cars' fuel/air mixtures and cylinder temperatures are maintained within a narrow range, for purposes of limiting emissions. Racing engines, however, still benefit from picking a proper plug heat range. Very old racing engines will sometimes have two sets of plugs, one just for starting and another to be installed once the engine is warmed up, for actually driving the car.

Spark plug manufacturers use different numbers to denote heat range of their spark plugs.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I have done some research on this due to the fact on a turbo engine you do not run a stock plug. I believe it is a cooler plug.
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I did not what to bore guy's gal's with all that. Good job A + The thing to remember
never ever use oil or lube on plugs ever, tell me why. )
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 pm

They'll work themselves loose.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 pm

The heat glues them in or it takes away from continuity my guess both
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am

I would agree that the ground connection could be compromised between the plug and the hole producing inconsistent spark.

@ Dave. Where did you copy/paste that information from?
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:23 am

NO ! please think more. MY Time short now , Dawn's bug must get done. I only have
7 day's to do a 2074 motor with 48 IDA's THIS IS BIG for her. I must give all I have for
THIS. SO if you don't hear from me I am doing stuff. IT will get done.It mean's alot to
her So Back off for now. I'LL BE BACK. BE READY

THERE is a time an place, But not now

Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 am

I think he's sleep deprived.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:58 am

rayvallero wrote:

THERE is a time an place, But not now

So cryptic and mysterious. The suspense is killing me. Wink
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 am

60herbie53 wrote:
I would agree that the ground connection could be compromised between the plug and the hole producing inconsistent spark.

@ Dave. Where did you copy/paste that information from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug#Heat_range

Very few parts counter IDIOTS can help you with plugs I have tried. and tried
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 10:25 am

Putting oil on threads and heat = glue. Ran into that with a tapered axle on a Willys. A plug has to be grounded to work properly it is a circuit.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 9:00 pm

I think Ray might be looking for something else. The only other guess I would have would be from a diagnostic standpoint. If the threads have oil on them it could mean leaking valve stems or bad rings. Since the plug seals at the crush washer residue would accumulate on the threads. If you put oil on previously you wouldn't know either way. Just a guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW   PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW Empty

Back to top Go down

PLUGS-TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next