Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Forum cleanup

Go down 
+5
Submarine Driver
Bradford
silvertonguedevil
Smogman72
Mateo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

So I am of the opinion we all need to take a step back and remember the words of our founder the last time the board took a bit of a turn.

I am not one to get in the middle of anything, but it does reach a point where it becomes a bit uncomfortable for others not involved.

I also believe the moderators have the responsibility to keep this in check and move such discussions off the board or into an appropriate forum so that this is remains a cool board for the VW community.

All that being said, at one point this board was tracking higher than even the Samba on the search engines. I feel this was because the information we posted was very topical and fresh.

I have asked Brad if I can have access to edit the boards for the purpose of maintaining our SEO rating.

Specifically the tech forum needs to maintain a level of coherence and I will be going back through older threads and working to clean up anything that is not relevant.

I am not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to keep our group a force to be recon with on the Net.

In fact, I am probably the worst offender and will have to clean up a lot of my own comedy.

So I feel if we could just move on and get back to planning events and posting our experiences with our beloved cars things would be good.

Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 pm

OK I DID A LITTLE CLEANING.

NOW THAT I HAVE MY WIFI DEAL AT HOME AGAIN I WILL TRY TO TAKE MY LAPTOP HOME AND DO MORE CLEANING OF THREADS AS SUGGESTED. THE DIFFICULT PART OF DOING THIS WILL BE MAKING THE CALL ON WHAT IS NOT NEEDED AT TIMES. I DO HAVE THE OPTION TO GET IN AND ACTUALLY EDIT POSTS NOT JUST DELETE THEM SO I WILL TRY TO KEEP ALL THE RELAVENT STUFF AND GET RID OF THE......"FLUFF??" MAYBE THOSE OF YOU THAT WANNA KEEP YOUR POST COUNTS UP AND OR WHATEVER CAN USE THE POST WHORES THREAD A BIT MORE. Very Happy ITS ONLY GOT LIKE 34 PAGES OR SOMETHIN. THAT IS ONE THREAD I WILL LEAVE ALONE FOR ALL TO PLAY IN.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Matt and Cliff. It's been fun, but you're right, we need to clean up a bit.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I thought it made more sense to make this it's own topic instead of riding on the tail of a classified for a Kombi.
Back to top Go down

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Good thinking Greg. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 am

Ok, so I've spent most of the day today thinking about this thread. I guess I'm a little confused and frustrated at the same time so I thought I would ask some questions and air some of my thoughts also.

Now I know it seems like everyone is a little ultra sensitive around here recently for whatever reason so I'm going to try to go about this as lightly as possible. Please do not take any of this as an attack.

I guess first off, I'm wondering what it is that you expect out of this board. I was under the strong impression this board and this group was all about enjoying our Volkswagens and enjoying each other. Why does it now seem like we all have to take everything so seriously? This group was started as a "group", not a club. The reason for that was to make sure that everything stayed light and fun. Many people shy away from all of the rules and constraints that a club brings. Club dues, club officers, political BS, etc. This board is part of the group and is here because of this group. So am I to understand that we need to have a bunch of rules and rule makers for the board now? I understand that it's necessary from time to time to "clean up" threads and rid them of one of two things. The first of those being entries which could easily be offensive and secondly those entries which could be easily viewed upon as being confrontational. I guess I haven't seen enough of either lately that would cause much concern personally. I just have been getting the feeling lately (and especially today) that somehow, the board is being pushed in a direction it shouldn't be pushed.

Let's think about this realistically, there are 106 registered members on this board. Of those, 78 have logged on since January 1, 2011. We have 37 members that have been on within the last 30 days. How and why is this board being compared to or even brought up in the same conversation as the Samba? The Samba has over 232,000 members! Even if you figured that we've had 35% of our members log in in the last 30 days, 35% of 232,000 is 81,200. Think about the magnatude of that! Why are we trying to compete with the Samba? Why would we want to be like the Samba? Better than the Samba? What's wrong with just being a small group of people who like to laugh and have a good time?

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with this group and you folks. I feel like I have some really good friends on here and I also feel like I'm a part of something special here. I don't want to see any of this ruined. Why do we need to be a force to be reckoned with? If you walked into a room and saw two groups, one group who was laughing, loud and having a good time and the other group was quietly talking seriously amongst themselves.....which group would to want to be a part of? Which one would you walk to? Same thing with future members here. I just want everyone to think about this really hard because mark my words.....if this place becomes all rules and no fun, it will die. Brad was very clear about how he wanted everyone's opinions, ideas and involvement and he was also clear that this thing's whole purpose was FUN. This board/group cannot be run like a dictatorship or even a club for that matter.

And speaking of Brad, I'll bring up what everyone else is apparently afraid to. Where's Brad? He sold his car, sold his parts and dropped off what was left of his Volkswagen inventory and donated them to the club. Am I wrong? If I am, please let me know. But if this is true, I think this is a large part of the problem also. Brad's the Administrator, the leader, el presidente....but he's nowhere to be found. He's apparently no longer interested in Volkswagens. So what's his role now? I know you'll probably read this Brad. What are your plans? And here's why I'm concerned. I understand that we're all adults here but that doesn't matter. This is still a group of people that doesn't have a go-to person or someone that oversees all of the activity and makes sure everything goes smoothly. We have no main organizer. This group and this board is like a large classroom and the teacher is nowhere to be found. There's going to be rowdiness and disorganization. People will peel off and this whole thing will dissipate. So Brad, I ask you....what are your plans? What are you going to do with this thing you started?

I encourage feedback on all of this. I don't expect this conversation to go without a few ugly spurts but we're all adults here and I feel like we can have an adult conversation. Let's figure this out together. Together, as a group!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:07 am

I personally agree with what you said. Especially the following:

"...being a small group of people who like to laugh and have a good time?"

But I feel there have been some posts lately that are not of this nature.

If you want specifics, I sent you a PM. Give me a ring and we can have a discussion offline.

No worries, just don't want to air out my thoughts in a public forum.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 am

Looks like I need to pipe in!

As for me?... I am taking a break.. got a lot going on right now.. my arthritis is flared up something awful and it's hard to even do normal day to day stuff let alone do other things. I don't know about everyone else, but I have always looked at Cliff as my right hand guy. He really helped put all this together in the very beginning and has told me he does not mind taking over when needed. The "teacher" has to take breaks or he burns out.. that is what happens to so many clubs. So fear not children, there is still a teacher watching...LOL

Thanks to everyone for the concerns and phone calls by the way. I will still try to make it out now and then to some of the events.

I think what both you, Greg, and Matt has to say hold weight. I don't want to be over structured. On the flip side of that coin is what we have talked about before. If I am interested in a motor building thread and click on it.. it can get old rummaging thru 2 pages of playful banter before I see more beef! So I agree with that part of it... is anyone saying "don't have fun?"... no, I don't think so.. a few funny man comments in a thread is all good.. if you guys want to run on with it, then yes.. that is what the chat box is for or the few threads flowing around for dis'in on your buds!

So my two cents........... Let's not get carried away with being to critical...... but let's have some common curtsey on the going threads that has something good to say!

There, I said my piece.........."WORD"......... from the north side......boooooyieeeeeee
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Submarine Driver

Submarine Driver

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 am

It didn't seem that the moderators were doing any form of moderating. I'm not trying to offend anybody, but thats how I viewed it. There were posts going off on wild tangents and basically calling members fools.

I'm not offended by anything, I go to school with idiots all day, but it was getting out of hand. Like I said I'm on numerous(Honda) forums that are inhabited by 16-25 year olds that run better with less conflict.

This will NEVER be the Samba. However it has the potential to be a great place full of knowledge and support.

I'm glad this situation is getting taken care of and hopefully whatever little feuds arose can be settled.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 am

Submarine Driver wrote:
It didn't seem that the moderators were doing any form of moderating. I'm not trying to offend anybody, but thats how I viewed it. There were posts going off on wild tangents and basically calling members fools.
Where did this happen? When did anybody on here call someone else a fool?
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 am

Mateo wrote:
I personally agree with what you said. Especially the following:

"...being a small group of people who like to laugh and have a good time?"

But I feel there have been some posts lately that are not of this nature.

If you want specifics, I sent you a PM. Give me a ring and we can have a discussion offline.

No worries, just don't want to air out my thoughts in a public forum.
I'll give you a call this evening Matt.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am

Look we need to say on topic.. When we are talking about serious stuff back off. Create a section on the chat area. Dawn and I went looking for something the other day and we could not find it due to pages of nonsense. It was about Rays daughter and it got buried. We need a serious area and we can have a sand box. Look at other boards and take the good and run with it.. We can have civilized discussion and should that is how we learn.

I hate rules but sometimes we need to have a few.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 am

I PERSONALLY AM NOT THE MOST COMPUTER SAVY PERSON. I CAN USUALLY GET THEM TO DO WHAT I WANT EVENTUALLY.

I ALSO DONT READ EVERY LITTLE THING IN ALL THE THREADS. I AM ACTUALLY MORE OF A HANDS ON FACE TO FACE KINDA GUY. THATS WHY WHEN THINGS WENT DOWN HILL LAST FALL I KINDA JUMPED THE GUN AND WAS TRYING TO GET THINGS ROLLING AGAIN. I THINK WE HAVE A GREAT GROUP HERE. AND LIKE EVERY OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE THERE WILL BE DIFFERENCES IN OPINION, ARGUEMENTS, ETC. THATS NORMAL. WE JUST NEED TO HAVE THOSE IN THE RIGHT PLACES, SUCH AS THE POST WHORES THREAD OR IN THE CHAT BOX OR PMs.

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG No

LOL

UH .........I GUESS I TOTALLY LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT NOW. SO I MAY COME BACK WITH MORE.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:05 am

type 4 wrote:
Create a section on the chat area.

THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THE GENERAL CHAT HEADING EVERYONE. THE TECH HEADING SHOULD BE THAT. TECH STUFF. ETC.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Moderating is a thankless job.

Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
amishman
State Route
amishman

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Brad, you sold your car? When did that happen. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I enjoy this site, visit everyday to see what new threads have come up, what folks are chatting about, post once in a while, etc... It does become a pain though when you have wade through tons of one liner messages back and forth to find the beef. I don't mind a little as it can be fun but post after post of the same "diarrhea of the mouth as I called it once" gets old I think for the majority of us.

A large group of folks laughing and having a good time is much different than just 2 of the same people bantering back and forth laughing having a good time. I think all folks are asking is have fun, post the jibber-jaber back and forth in the proper forums, and leave the more techy direct question threads alone and refrain from the back and forth comedy. Pretty simple I think.

I am looking forward to some Pizza in early October with anyone that goes to Alta Sierra Pizza gathering coming soon. I have been away from the VW fun for about a month so missed BugORama Sept, etc.... but ready to get back and have some fun weather and time permitting. Been busy myself this last 1.5 months so less fun and more to the grind-stone for me.

TJ
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwhippie.com
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 pm

I think Greg hit the nail right on the head. I agree we do get off topic with a little banter and I know we can all agree to keep that in the appropriate threads. We can get everything back on track again. It will just take some time.

I also don't recall anyone being called a fool. I am not sure where this is, or when it happened, but I know everyone here, and we all have the best of intentions. This community will only be successful if everyone participates regularly. Threads are hard to follow if you go away for a while. A lot of discussion can happen in a short amount of time. I agree that I am guilty myself of going off on a tangent and creating a little chaos. But then again, I think we all do that once in a while. It is what keeps it light and fun. We just need too tone it down a bit and direct that stuff to the chat forum.

In regards to content, I find it much harder to follow gibberish and posts that are not written clearly. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to write in a professional manner. Writing posts with misspelled words, run on sentences, no punctuation and text slang only add to the confusion. None of us are English professors and I am not implying that people aren't allowed to make mistakes, but at least take a little extra time to read what you have written before you hit the post button. The board will look much more professional and "would be" members will take it more seriously.

We just have to follow the basic guidelines that Brad set forth when he started the board. I will do my part to keep things on the upswing, and if I have offended anyone I apologize.

One thing that needs to be set straight is the whereabouts of our administrator. I miss him being around and I hope that he will come back soon. If not though, the keys need to be passed on to another, so things can move forward and changes can be made if necessary. There is no shame in moving on and allowing someone else to hold the reigns for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 am

You guys are all correct. I can't think of anything to add.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 am

Words of wisdom from Eric!

now I will sit with my legs crossed, arms out and go "hmmmmmmmmmm"

LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Submarine Driver

Submarine Driver

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 1:06 pm

No offense Dann, but you use the term laughing out loud very frequently. Granted that was before this weekend when the post counts were off the wall. I'm sorry if I refer to someone's vehicle by an easily identifiable term to the owner or every once in a while I use a weird term. I will put as much effort into making sure that doesn't happen.

Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 5:42 pm

I don't know why you feel the need to defend yourself Chris. That was directed at the whole board. I did not single anyone out. No offense taken as you have the right to express your thoughts, but I use the emoticon not just text jargon. That is what it is there for to begin with right? Don't take things so personal. Just understand that the more clearly things are written the easier they are to understand for everyone who reads along. We all just need to improve on a few areas to make the board a better place. We are already making amazing progress.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

Forum cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum cleanup   Forum cleanup EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Personally.

Someone should ban Dann immediately.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
60herbie53