Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?

Go down 
+3
8v fury
Mateo
LuvnVdubn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? Empty
PostSubject: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 am

Hello all, I am looking to upgrade my carb on my 1600 dp motor. Motor is stock other than header w/J tubes and glasspack. What is my best choice of carb? should I go with a small set of duals or a larger prossive type single carb?
I look forward to everyones feedback! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 am

Dual Weber 40 IDFs

Best performance. Why share venturis when everyone can have their own!

No issues with reversion and standoff as throttle increases. (even though you have a stock cam)

Lower idle speeds.

Easier to tune than a progressive. (the primary is pretty simple, getting the secondary timed and jetted correctly is a different story)

With regards to tuning, either option is a little more involved than a stock setup getting things dialed in.

Duals look cooler. What a Face

My 2 cents...
Back to top Go down
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:26 am

Don't you think dual 40s would be over kill on my lil ole 1600? I was looking at dual 34's. those should do don't ya think?
Back to top Go down
8v fury
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Is your motor stock?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

He mentioned that is was stock except for a mild header.

34s are still single barrel carbs (1bbl) so you're still splitting a venturi between your dual port heads.

40 Weber IDFs are the way to go.

Again, just my opinion. I ran dual Kads and thought they were the shiz nit.

Then I ran Weber IDFs and Dellorto DRLAs. Now my opinions have changed.

Last edited by Mateo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
8v fury
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Since you motor is stock, a single progressive would be good, easy to tune and get good power. Next question is are you planning to add or change cams, rocker ratio and any other performance goodies. caiuse that will determine what type of carbs you will need too.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 pm

If you go with dual 40s, be sure they're jetted correctly. They are awfully big for a 1600 if the jetting puts through too much fuel, but I know there's a jet set that will tame them down a bit.
No point wasting unburned fuel.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
LuvnVdubn

LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm

I love this forum because everyone has different opinions with solid reasons for them! thanks every one!
So, I don't plan on doing much more to this motor. I figure I will make a solid running 1600dp with a few add ons just to get me around, then hopefully sell it complete, to help fund something larger 1776 at least. I've seen some killer deals lately.
So for this motor the Dual Weber 40 kits are just too expensive. More than double the cost of a brand new empi dual 34 kit, or a Single proggresive kit. The 40's aren't in the budget, so I suppose I should have asked
Dual 34's or Single 2 barrel?
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Then stick with the single carb. I love my 1600. PICT34 and electronic points. 80MPH no problem and 30+ MPG and plenty perky even here in steep-hill SF.

Save your mods and money for the next engine
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Just put a holley double pumper on there. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 pm

40s are awesome on a 1600 DP, especially with a header that has a merged collector.

But a stock PICT34 is just fine too, nothing wrong with it.

Budget is always something that has to be considered.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 pm

60herbie53 wrote:
Just put a holley double pumper on there. Twisted Evil
And this just in from Higgins Corner.....

....more at 11:00.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

The stock 34 pict is a great carb. For a little extra power, you can pull the main jet out of the float bowl and drill it out (the jet) with a #55 drill. Adds a little extra fuel to the mid-range and top end.
I use a progressive Weber, but I found that without the proper cam, all you're doing is dumping more fuel than you can use efficiently into the motor.
A single 40 IDF works nicely too, but again, it's overkill on a stock motor.

Just my two cents.....
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Yup, when stock, it's tough to second guess the lab coats from Wolfsburg. They knew what they were doing.
Driveability issues with 1600s are tuning issues. A well tuned 1600 is a great little runner.
Back to top Go down
Bugman66

Bugman66

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:05 pm

The dual 40 Kadrons work well with a stock motor and small diameter headers. Like any carb setup, they need to be jetted properly and the accel pumps need to be set correctly. These are much less money than the Webers and they have all the advantages of dual carbs located close to the heads. I had this setup on my buggy with a stock motor and small diameter headers before it became dedicated to racing with a monster motor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?   Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats my best upgrade option, dual carbs or single progressive?
Page 1 of 1