Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TECH DAY FEB 16

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm

OUR NEXT TECH DAY WILL BE HELD HERE AT:

ALTA SIERRA'S SMOG STOP
15563 STATE HWY 49 SUITE B
GRASS VALLEY CA 95949

WE ARE ACTUALLY ON JOHNSON PL SO GPS JOHNSON PL GRASS VALLEY CA 95949 AND YOU WILL FIND US.

I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY PROJECTS AS OF YET BUT LETS SEE WHAT YALL GOT TO DO.......

HOPE TO SEE YOU HERE!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Jeff67Sqbk

Jeff67Sqbk

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I want to bring my '67 front beam to work on (it's in the back of my truck, so access is easy). I need to obtain just about all the soft bits still (tie rods ends and such) as all of the rubber boots are shot completely.

This is a good opportunity to get a close look at a front end not in a vehicle!
Back to top Go down
Jeff67Sqbk

Jeff67Sqbk

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Which online parts vendor takes PayPal? That's about the only place I have funds available right now. Decent used parts would be fine too!
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

I DONT KNOW OF ANY OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD BUT I KNOW YOU CAN FIND STUFF ON AMAZON AND IM PRETTY SURE THEY DO PAYPAL?????
Back to top Go down
Blujay Bug
State Route
Blujay Bug

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

I will not be back in town until Feb. 20th. Hope you have a good turnout.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

NOT SURE IF IM GOING TO HAVE TIME TO GET THE TINT DONE ON MY GLASS BUT IF I DO IM THINKING IM GOING TO JUST LEAVE THE BUG WITH THE 2 COATS OF CLEAR ON IT AND START GETTING IT BACK TOGETHER. Embarassed ITS BEEN 2 YRS IN APRIL THAT ITS BEEN APART FOR THE PAINT WORK!! STILL HAVE THE HOOD AND WHEEL WELLS TO PAINT THO TOO.
Back to top Go down
Jeff67Sqbk

Jeff67Sqbk

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Can someone bring a ball joint removal tool? I need to do all four on the '67 beam I will be bringing.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

YES. PLEASE. THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS I DO NOT HAVE.
Back to top Go down

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Jeff, you may need to have the old B/Js pressed out and the new ones pressed in by a machine shop. With a drill press, you can drill a bunch of holes through them, and then beat them out with a hammer and chisel...... but it still takes some fancy fixturing to press new ones in.
Does anyone make an affordable B/J tool? I've never seen one, but it would be handy to have!

Cliff, can I bring my Soobie in for a Smog Check on Tech Day?
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm

speedbuggy wrote:
Cliff, can I bring my Soobie in for a Smog Check on Tech Day?

SURE! IM ALWAYS UP TO DO A SMOG DURING TECH DAY.
Back to top Go down
Jeff67Sqbk

Jeff67Sqbk

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Even if we can't replace the Ball Joints, we can take it apart enough to haul them to Ray to have them pressed out and in after doing a more thorough evaluation of the need to replace. As I said, messing with this area of a VW is new to me. In talking to Eric at Ray's shop yesterday, one needs a serious press to R&R Ball Joints properly.

So if anyone else like me, who hasn't messed with the front beam wants to check out a front beam not installed, join us!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 pm

VW used to make a slick tool for removing and pressing in new ball joints on the car.

I wish I had one. The press is the only way to go if off the car, although the correct tooling isn't something you can just go out and buy due to the unique sizes.

Check your new ball joints when you get them. I had to order and send three sets back when I finally figured out what I was doing. The ball joints themselves were too stiff, and these were supposed to be 'German' ball joints.
Back to top Go down
Jeff67Sqbk

Jeff67Sqbk

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Woo Hoo! turns out that the ball joints were fine, the boots are shot, but the joints move without any grinding at all. Same with the steering damper. the tie rods are also ok. That left the steering box as the source of grinding and crunching. Which it was. So we took the cover off, added some grease and did some adjusting and, viola! a nice (well nice enough anyway) and useable steering box. Thanks for the help all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TECH DAY FEB 16   TECH DAY FEB 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

TECH DAY FEB 16
Page 1 of 1