Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tinman picks up a Pickup

Go down 
+4
Smogman72
Bahabuggin
Davids74Super
Tinman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tinman
SacTown
Tinman

Tinman picks up a Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Ok!
I told a few of you at cruise nite that I looked at a Double Cab... couldn't resist... I bought it; I should have stayed away.

Tinman picks up a Pickup DC009 Tinman picks up a Pickup DC005

when the previous owner descibed on the phone that he took out the bench seat and put in a pass through from a donated bus I was not sure what to think, after seeing it I think it came out very nice.

Tinman picks up a Pickup DC007 Tinman picks up a Pickup DC004 ]

When I tried the brakes I blew out a rear wheel cylinder replaced both rear cylinders, new brake fluid and adjusted the brakes. The brake shoes and drums are in good shape.
Tinman picks up a Pickup DC003 Tinman picks up a Pickup DC006
The rear bumper is in the bed complete with brackets and splash pans. ( no over riders)
The front and rear turn signals are not correct for a 61; he had given me a replacements for the front turn signals I'll need to get them welded in.

Tinman picks up a Pickup DC002 Tinman picks up a Pickup DC001
Stock 1500
I had to replace the stock carb 28 Pict 1 it leaked gas from the linkage, I had Kerry turning over the engine while it I sprayed starter fluid in the carb... and with one backfire it lit up like a torch...scared the piss out of me affraid I quickly replaced it with a universal 30/31 Pict carb I had in the garage. I quickly found out its new name Sparky

There were a few other things I had to do since it had set in the garage for the last 8 years...
drain the old gas, oil change, adjust valves, basic tune-up etc...

Tinman picks up a Pickup DCBus002 Tinman picks up a Pickup DCBus001

Had to sport a State Route sticker Smile

Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:57 am

Looks like a good start.
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown
Bahabuggin

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 am

Ok now i'm getting jealous
Not good lol
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Looks like it needs little exterior body work. Hows the pan, quarters, etc.? Great looking start tho. Personally I would probably drive as is except for the red paint. Sorry Im not a fan of red (ha ha my hair is orange Laughing ). Cant wait to see sparky in person. When do you think we'll see it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm

My 59 is going to be smooth bumper, Euro style with no towel bars. If you want the "over riders" let me see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Tinman
SacTown
Tinman

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 pm

OK David I know I don't have as many stickers as you but yeah it's a good start.
Good luck at the races this weekend.

Tinman picks up a Pickup DCbus001-1 Tinman picks up a Pickup DCbus003

Smogman maybe you can recommend the guy who will be doing your bodywork after your wreck. Razz

Tinman picks up a Pickup DCbus004

The pan is in surprisingly good shape there are the usual areas for rust like the battery tray and the lower rocker panels.

Landon we''ll talk later about the overriders at the Auburn cruise nite Sept 10th.
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Hate to say it but I will still be in Mendocino on the 10th. Aug and Sept have been busy crap months for me... I feel as though I am missing everything Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Low Class
State Route
Low Class

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 pm

these things are drawn to you like moths to light. Sweet find.
Back to top Go down
62type2
SacTown

PostSubject: fellow dcab   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 pm

What a score, you were not kidding when you said you wanted a Dcab.The front nose looks very strait.Any chance of seeing sparky in the the beer garden.Greg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Great find! Should be a fun build.
Back to top Go down
Tinman
SacTown
Tinman

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:11 pm

It found me, I wasn't looking Shocked Kind of like our 64 bus.. it was a friend of Kerry's who had it and might want to sell it.. so had to go take a look, and you know where that story ends...and begins, right? scratch
What was I thinking???
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 am

Now for another coin toss ehh.. heads dcab, tails notch.. which will it be for the restore...LOL

Looks like a good project.

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinman picks up a Pickup   Tinman picks up a Pickup Empty

Back to top Go down

Tinman picks up a Pickup
Page 1 of 1