Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

This is getting silly

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

This is getting silly Empty
PostSubject: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:58 pm

This really isn't worthy of a "Tech Center" post, and there is no forum titled 'What the <bleep>, the whole world is against me, I give up!" so I figured I would put it here.

Silly me for thinking I was actually going to put my motor back in tonight, I don't know why I figured I was at the end of this thing.

So I purchased new front tin a few weeks back as it was missing when I acquired the car, then I picked up a new fan shroud because the holes for the throttle cable and dog house 'vent' were off by about a haf an inch as compared to the 'Brazillian low profile' shroud that came with the car and wouldn't work with the new front tin.

I am not running heater boxes for a bit anyways so I figured the new shroud would look cleaner without the fresh air ducts. This was the justification in my mind for the new shroud anyways.

So for the past few days I have been putting an epic paint job on the new shroud and thought I was all ready for 'final' assembly this evening and a possible first ignition of the newly rebuillt motor.

I was tinkering around, getting a few details worked out, when it happened:

This is getting silly Thrott10

So I guess It is possibe the bracket for the oil cooler is offset to match the original shroud, but really?

So I am going to remove the oil cooler and bracket and try to work in some shopping tomorrow.

Really??? Am I missing something here???
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

OK, It's the front tin. Brand new shroud doesn't line up with it either. I must have the wrong one or one that was not stamped correctly. I dunno....
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:24 am

My throttle tube is loose and floppy.. so I can move it where ever I want. Can you just drill a new hole or enlarge the one there and slightly bend the pipe?
I had a stock old school cooler and just updated to a doghouse my self and did not run into any problems with fitment.

So just an idea.. make it fit. All my throttle tubes have been loose up by the engine. Then there is another tube that slides into the doghouse and fits into the throttle tube behind the tin.

Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:41 am

Yea, I am leaning toward elongating the hole in the tin I have.

After looking around, it seams the cheap tins are just that, cheap.

I thought there might be different front tins and I had picked up the wrong one. But it looks like they are all the same. I guess my expectations were a little high for a 20 dollar piece of stamped metal.

I am just going to make this one due until I can get a better set.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 am

P.S.

My throttle tube is flexible too, I just used the metal tube that normally goes through the shroud to show how far off the hole in the front tin is.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 am

I had to buy one of those cheap tins as well for doghouse, and mine only bolts up on one side. The other side is way to off to put a tin screw in. So I feel ya. There is german tin still out there.. just have to find it and clean it up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Older is better   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 am

I have never seen such crap in my life. I always look for new old stock. Just remember wine women and VW parts all have something in common OLDER IS BETTER.

David
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:58 am

I have all the old tins in a pile minus the front tin which was missing, they are covered in a few inches of crusted on oil and road grime. No exaggeration. This thing has been leaking, well hemorrhaging is a better term, for a while. Which is why I tore down the engine and transmission in the first place. The original lower tins that cover the pushrod tubes have the tabs busted off as well. I was going to throw them all away but I may give them a closer look to see if they are original before the toss.

I thought I was on the downhill to getting this thing on the road again, but it looks like I have a few things yet to concur.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Engine test stand   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 pm

I have an engine test stand. If you bring it to my house you can fire it up and do a quick run. I have my 1915 on it but its just 4 bolts to pull it. I should be home Friday, Saturday NO Sunday CMI

David
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I've had the same problem with aftermarket cylinder tins. They just don't fit right!
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 am

type 4 wrote:
I have an engine test stand. If you bring it to my house you can fire it up and do a quick run. I have my 1915 on it but its just 4 bolts to pull it. I should be home Friday, Saturday NO Sunday CMI

David

Sunday at CMI the NASA Volkswagen class is running. fyi.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: CMI would be great   This is getting silly EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:28 am

Me and my son try to go to them but the weather may not hold out.

Do you ever want to try some different carbs on that race buggy? Get you motor sorted out and I can set a pair of 44's dialed in on my 1915. We can hook up at the track and see if it makes a difference.

David
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the offer David I appreciate it. I might just take you up on that.

I have to work from now until late Friday but Saturday is a possibility.

Although, I may just throw the engine in the car late late Friday when I get home to do some test drives on Saturday. I was really hoping to do some cruising on Sunday as it has been about 3 months since she's been on the road.

I am real close. I ordered a new front tin from CBP as a few people have said CBP has tins that fit the best of the non German after-market tins. It will be here tomorrow so we'll see. I don't have my hopes set too high. I think the one I purchased was an EMPI and I think CBP sells Scat, but I dunno for sure.

Vallero's in Auburn also recommended CBP and he hasn't steered me in a bad direction yet.

Maybe between the two tins I can cut and weld something up to fit if it comes down to it.

One way or another, she's on the road this weekend.

Let me see where I get to Saturday by noon and if I am still no closer to having the motor in I can drag it up for a test run. It would be nice to see if it runs and doesn't spew oil everywhere.

If your time permits.

It would also be nice to have a 'second opinion' if my oil issues haven't imporved since the rebuild.

Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Update - Tins from CBP are cheap too.   This is getting silly EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 7:02 pm

So an FYI, the tin I ordered from CBP came in this afternoon and it doesn't fit any better.

It is the same 'stuff' from Taiwan as my other bargin tin.

Soooo, I am off to trim and grind until something fits... Sad
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm

IN MY EXPERIENCES WITH AFTERMARKET TINS pale YOU DO THEM ALL GERMAN TINS (METAL) OR ALL RESTAMP TIN (CRAP) FROM THE SAME PLACE NOT PIECED TOGETHER FROM HERE AND THERE. WITH DOING THAT I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH FITMENT.

Twisted Evil RIGHT NOW WITH THE BAJA/RAT AND THE RAT ROD (CONVERTING FROM A BAJA TO RATROD) ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS Twisted Evil ALL I HAVE IS THE SHROUD AND CYLINDER TINS.

I REALLY HOPE YOU GET IT WORKED OUT THOUGH. AND HOPE TO SEE THE CAR SOON. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:57 am

type 4 wrote:
Me and my son try to go to them but the weather may not hold out.

Do you ever want to try some different carbs on that race buggy? Get you motor sorted out and I can set a pair of 44's dialed in on my 1915. We can hook up at the track and see if it makes a difference.

David

I will be in on that. I just need to finish up the car first. (its undergoing some minor changes).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is getting silly   This is getting silly Empty

Back to top Go down

This is getting silly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: VW Tech and Chat-
Jump to: