Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia Empty
PostSubject: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 12:49 am

So she ('69 Ghia) is actually starting to come out of her coma.

Now that the motor issues seem to be behind us and we are moving forward (literaly to the front end) things are starting to get fun.

The past few days I have installed some H4 Halos (blue bulbs) and now I have high and low beams. Oh, I added a relay to the high/low beam circuit to make things a little more reliable.

I used a few sites I found on the 'ole Internet and I came up with a 3-relay circuit design for the turn signal and emergency flashers. They work much nicer now as well.

I ended up tapping the rear light bulb holders for some set screws and that solved my issue with the bulbs vibrating loose and not working.

I added a few gauges as well. I now have oil pressure, oil temperature, and voltage to look at.

I can't decide whether or not to replace the clock with a small tach or get one of those big tacks mounted out from the dash with a light. I am leaning toward the smaller tach.

Need to replace the spedo and fuel gauge as well.

I am going to add one last relay to set power to the headlight circuit. This way the headlights won't work without keyed power. I seem to keep leaving the headlights on after driving down 49 during the day. I have a buzzer, but I don't know if I can figure that out.

I did the CV joints when I dropped the motor and tranny, so in the rear I am going after the stub axles and disc brake conversion next.

I also want to look at the bearings in the front beam and replace the seals and check all the suspension points up front. There are already discs up front, but I want to put in some drop spindles.

I need to get the back end lifted back up to around stock height and then she'll have a nice '70s rake with the lowered front end.

Lots more ideas, but I think I have rambled on enough for one night.

Thanks for listening. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 am

Sounds like you've been busy! Do you have to run an alternator for the high output headlights?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:11 am

The first thing I did when I got her was swap the generator for an altenator.

The generator was not charging the battery. I was a complete noob, so I just went that route as I knew I was going to add some high powered accessories.

I am a gadget geek so I didn't want to have any power issues.

I put a 90 watt altenator on her and I was wondering tonight if I needed to do anything to keep from over charging the battery. I know the altenator has a built in regulator, but I should probably do some research.

I have read you need an altenator to run the H4 halogens. It is amazing the diffence in night time visibility.

Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:21 am

I guess I'll have to save my pennies for an alternator. I like those bright headlights!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 am

I am with you! Lights, Lights, and more Lights!

I have T-Bars front and rear but I am thinking I am going to go back to the stock bumbers so I can add some PIAA halogen driving lights up front and some back-up lights in the rear.

Might leave the towel hangers off, I dunno!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: H4   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 12:24 pm

We run 50 watt low beam and 100 watt high beams in most of our cars. Regular high beams are 55 watts. Now 100 watt light bulbs are illegal but thay sure are nice driving back roads. You can also get some HID'S we have have some on one of out Civics. My wife loves to drive that car at night.

David
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am

I run the stock gen. with dune buggy style head lights mounted to my skid plate bars and they are halogen. No problems on the lack of light or any power issues. I do need 1 or 2 back up lights, I found out the hard way and almost took out my garage wall. I do plan on adding more off road lights later so I might have to do the swap too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia   New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia Empty

Back to top Go down

New Eyes and Some Gauges for the Ghia
Page 1 of 1