Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bad front end shake

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

Bad front end shake Empty
PostSubject: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

Starting today, my front end shakes hard.

On acceleration, when it hits about 30-35 it starts shaking, and goes away after 45mph or so.

On deceleration, it startes at about 30, and goes away at about 15mph.

The shake is very hard, it seems that the front end is shifting several inches back and forth, and the steering wheels moves about 1/8 of a turn.

There's no controlling it. grab the steering wheel and try to stop it, you can't over power the shake.

At first I thought I broke a ball joint or something, but after checking it out, I couldn't see any damage or loose parts. The lower balljoints are pretty bad, so those will be replaced soon (when I lower the front end).

I'm thinking the steering box might be shot? But I have no way to be sure, and I think this because the steering wheel moves as well.

Basically the plans are to get an adjustable beam, lowered spindles, ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, steering dampner, shocks, basically a complete front end rebuild. And if I can find a steering box that will go in as well.

damn. more money.....
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:47 am

If you haven't already check your tires to ensure they have not begun to separate. This will cause them to be out of round and cause the same symptoms you are describing. Jack it up just off the ground and spin the wheel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:02 am

It is possible for it to be a steering box... but it sounds like a tie rod end to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Did you go through a mud puddle   Bad front end shake EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am

Did you pick up some mud on the inside of your tire. Rotate you tires front to back. Someone borrow you car?
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:38 pm

In order to check the front end out you will need some help. Have someone get in the car and move the wheel back and forth. Look at all the moving parts. If there is any up down movement on the tie rod ends they are bad. I would not advise driving if they are as one can break and send you off into the weeds. Be sure to check the joints at the steering box and at the wheels. Your steering box is probably fine but check the steering wheel play from side to side. As long as it is not more than 15 degrees of play it is more than likely another problem.
Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am

When it shook so hard it broke the headlight bulb and threw a hubcap, I sought out Greg's VW Service for some help.

#1 right side lower balljoint was barely hanging on, left side wasn't too much better,

#2 left side tie rod was bent and the end was wasted

#3 steering dampner is doing nothing

#4 shocks are blown out

#5 steering box is worn out

#6 wheels bearings are throwing grease

So tomorrow, I'm ordering about $400 worth of parts. I'm getting everything except the steering box, and I'm also getting lowered spindles. If I have to remove the spindles anyway, I might as well put lowered ones on.

So the car will be parked until the parts arrive.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 am

You were driving your coffin! Holy crap! Glad you got it figured out.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Luck was on your side.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: its a little strange   Bad front end shake EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 5:44 pm

What was it like last week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad front end shake   Bad front end shake Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad front end shake
Page 1 of 1