Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The anchor around my neck

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

The anchor around my neck Empty
PostSubject: The anchor around my neck   The anchor around my neck EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm

The anchor around my neck, and the lack of motivation. This thing had gallons and gallons of acorns and mice surprises. Everything is in it just put it together and have fun. And he was not a tweeker. Its a 1950Willys CJ3A and some parts are real hard to find. I do believe we have them all. This thing as best as I can tell was dipped stripped or something like that. A master body man skimmed the whole thing with bondo, even the underside. I made new floors in the front pushed and pulled most every other dent out and it sat and sat. Frame is great came with power steering not hooked up that took a couple of years to put together. We are talking mounts, hoses, linkage. He David do you know you can put disk brakes on that thing, a year. Better upgrade the master cylinder, more time. My sons sophomore project we pulled the motor apart Buick odd fire running a Holley 4 barrel with double valve springs. Half a funky electronic ignition, found another one in a junk yard and had to take both apart to make one. So it runs now, you can engage the clutch and have the wheels rotate. We rebuilt the power steering unit and I think it back working. We have around two weeks of work to finish brake lines and plumb the fuel system wire it and paint. I even have the paint.

The sad part is the price has fallen in half. We have moved in other directions. But we are going to finish this project. I am even mentioned on a 3A forum on my technique for pulling rear axle flanges. I almost had to buy another ear end. They are tapered and oh so stuck.

The first pic is 4 years ago of the motor

The anchor around my neck Dscf0110

The next three were taken last summer. The body is in the garage but the running gear are under a tarp next to the garage.

The anchor around my neck 5-9-1010

The anchor around my neck 5-9-1011

The anchor around my neck 5-9-1012

It has a Porsche 914 steering column and a 411/412 steering wheel. And a Vw Bug wiring harness, my true roots come through from time to time. This is why I throw myself in projects to get them to the 90% complete stage and walk away. I don't want another 10 year project

David
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

The anchor around my neck Empty
PostSubject: Re: The anchor around my neck   The anchor around my neck EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 11:38 am

That thing is way cool. Lots of work ahead but it looks like it will be very rewarding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com

The anchor around my neck
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norcal Vdubs :: Chat Central-
Jump to: