Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Orange County! HERE I COME!!!

Go down 
+2
type 4
SurfinSuzie
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

Orange County! HERE I COME!!! Empty
PostSubject: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

As you guys might know by now, I going to head to Orange County tomorrow. (At least thats the plan...) Anyway... I have still "one" more question before i "headout". I dont know this or not but if i need to clean my air filter, do i just clean it with water? If not please tell me otherwise. And if you guys think that i need anything on my trip for not me but my car, please enlighten me. Thanks guys. Smile
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Spencer   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Have a safe trip
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Spencer   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm

What are you waiting for get out of here. I said to my wife its going to snow around 3 so lets get over the mountain so where is my wife NOT HERE. NOT PACKED,
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Hope I'm not too late.

Oil bath air cleaners need to be drained, and can be cleaned with a mild solvent or even gasoline. Refill up to the line with motor oil. Oil bath air cleaners are incredibly efficient.

Paper element filters should really be replaced. A rinse out with water probably couldn't hurt, but it won't remove much since they tend to get a little oily/grimy. Think of it like a vacuum cleaner bag - best replaced. Replace it once it's past anything like light gray.

Have a great time.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Don't rinse out a paper element filter with water!! You'll ruin the filter. Use compressed air only.

The only filter I know of that you would rinse with water would be a K&N filter.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

There you go. Someone who knows.
Without knowing what kind you're using, it's tough to give a definitive answer.
If you're going to a show and not running an oil bath cleaner, one of the parts vendors will probably have the one you need for $3-$8.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks guys. I dont have an oil filter, but i think that its an aftermarket brand one. Dont know the type tough... Came with the car when i bought it... also doesnt have a hose running to it like normal ones.....
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Check your private messages. Your signature is a mess.

Can you send a picture of what you have?
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Ya i can try... Give me a sec.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Auto parts stores carry a few of the paper elements. Take the old on in with you. The size can be deceiving on those retail cards!

Siggy getting better, but still a mess.
Copy and paste this below (right mouse button).

If you're not rubbin', you're not Dubbin'.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Ok so there is a hose going to the filter, sorry my bad... didnt ever take the time to look at it properly. Well anyways here it is.

Orange County! HERE I COME!!! 002

Orange County! HERE I COME!!! 003

Orange County! HERE I COME!!! 004
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 pm

How about driving it by PFI???

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Just did... And bought a new filter while i was there.... they didnt have my replacement size in stock... Oh well... Orange County here i come!!!!
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm

That looks the part of a K&N. You can clean it with a mild detergent or I like to use Simple green. You then need to let it dry and finally give it a very thin coat of oil. It is good to have a spare just like it so you'll always have one clean and ready to go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:20 pm

By the way, have a safe trip Spencer. At least it's nice and cool today and you'll climb the "Vine" at night. Don't get in a hurry. Take your time and be safe.

Last edited by 60herbie53 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks, Will do. Smile And for you you few that want to know how my new filter looks like on my gross greasy engine. Its like a diamond on a dog turd. (To put it nicely.) Smile
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Cool. That'll be motivation to make the rest fit the part of the filter.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Have a good trip.
Someone at the show will have that filter. I have the same one on my green Bug. It's a common one.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 pm

K, well i got to tell you guys this... Bursting my bubble and yours maybe.... Im not going any more due to the infamous "Money issues" that even the best of us get... So sorry guys. I wont be going anymore. BUT hopefully soon in the future i will make this trip! I WILL!!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Money issues suck...

Mad

I know your frustration, as we all probably do these days.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Bummer.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Spencer   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Spencer i agree with Dann it look like a reusable air cleanable air filter. PFI should of told you that.

D
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 pm

You have to do what is best for you Spencer. Don't worry. You'll make the trip eventually. In the meantime we'll keep making your car better and better.
Back to top Go down
SurfinSuzie
State Route
SurfinSuzie

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Haha. Thanks guys. And PFI did tell me that. They just didnt have my filter size in stock. So i just bought a new one for cheap. <---- At least for temporary use untill i get the right filter.

Anyways, thanks guys for all the support. I have really appreciated it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Speaking of gross engines. I used some of that foamy engine de-greaser on mine and it took paint off stuff Sad
I think I left it on too long.

There are some other events coming up, so hopefully we'll see you at some of those. If we can help with entry fees or a little gas money, or buy lunch or something, let Dann or I know. It's only an investment in our good time to make sure you're along. I need to take a look at the events and try to get to one in your area. I had sucha a good time with everyone in February.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orange County! HERE I COME!!!   Orange County! HERE I COME!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Orange County! HERE I COME!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next