Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
strebzbu

67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? Empty
PostSubject: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Hello all you VW Bus Drivers. I have owned my 67 VW Westphalia for over 25 years now and my transmission finally gave it up with a very large growl and now it won't stay in first or second gear. I am looking for a premium trans axle re-builder in my local area of Nevada City CA. I am running a 1776 which has plenty of power. The problem is that my gearing is very low so the comfortable speeds that my bus goes down the road at is 55 mph without the motor sounding like it might come apart. Research tells me that there are several upgrades that can be accomplished when re-building. Ring and pinion sizes, 3rd and 4th ratio's etc.
Any input will be helpful
Thanks, David
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Welcome David! Thanks for joining the board. When you get a chance post a pic of that beauty.

I know Rancho transmissions in Rancho Cordova builds a pretty darn good trans and to custom specs.. up here in Grass Valley.. not so sure who. I had a trans rebuilt by Action Transmission for our mini van and it is still running good.. might be worth a call

Maybe some one else will pop on here soon and have some more info for you!

Welcome
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 pm

The guy in Placerville advertises on Craigslist. An old member liked his work.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 pm

I don't know if Brad is talking about the same Rancho Transaxles that I know about but I do know that these guys are pretty much the best in the business.

http://ranchotransaxles.com/service.html
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 am

Yep.. they are the ones. I hear they are bullet proof
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 3:04 pm

I have a Rancho in my car and I drive it back and forth from SF to GV all the time with no problems.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?   67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider? Empty

Back to top Go down

67 VW Bus Transmission Quality Rebuider?
Page 1 of 1