Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone have a car trailer?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dsimas

dsimas

Anyone have a car trailer? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Does anyone have one that I could borrow to go get the bus near Seattle? I'll pay a fair price.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:18 pm

IVE GOT ONE. IT HAD COMPRESSION BRAKES BUT THE LINES HAVE BEEN CUT AND I HAVENT WORRIED ABOUT FIXING THEM. THE TRAILER WORKS THO. I HAVE 4 AXLE STRAPS BUT ONLY 2 RATCHET STRAPS. THEY WORK JUST FINE FOR THE BUGS, WOULDNT TRUST JUST 2 ON A BUS THO.

HOW LONG WOULD YOU NEED IT FOR? 2-3 DAYS? A WEEK? ITS ROUGHLY 12-13 HOURS EACHWAY. I USED TO LIVE IN THE BREMERTON AREA (STRAIGHT WEST ACROSS THE PUGET SOUND FROM SEATTLE).

DO YOU HAVE A GOOD TOW VEHICLE?
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

I need your help and advice on what would be safe, thanks Cliff.

I am using my 92 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins 4wd. I haul 10K# trailers with livestock. It's old, but pretty reliable, got 250K miles, but not as much on the tranny and a Banks upgrade and was strong on the dyno last year. It's got the 7 prong modern plug in. I put a lock up torque converter with a manual switch when I rebuilt the tranny. Class 5 hitch receiver.

As for a trailer, I know nothing. Is it dual axle? We're hoping to make the trip up and back in 2 days. Long days, but time is tough on short notice. Leave early, get back late... but you won't be without your trailer for long. Would it be safe with no brakes?????? It's mostly flat except Grants Pass, right? It's an automatic, but the torque converter lock up can be used to prevent braking on the downhills...

So, I'd need to round up a couple ratchet straps? PM me....

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 pm

YUP SOUNDS GOOD.

I RUN A EARLY 91 DODGE CUMMINS WITH OVER 333000 MILES. IT TAKES A 2 IN. BALL. ITS GOT A 4 PRONG DEAL FOR THE TAIL LIGHTS (I DO HAVE AN ADAPTER 4-7 PRONG). WITH THE LOCKUP CONVERTER TO ASSIST IN THE HILL BRAKING YOU SHOULD BE JUST FINE. JUST KEEP AN EYE ON ALL THE OTHER #*%HOLES ON THE ROAD.

I GOT MY RATCHET STRAPS AT HARBOR FREIGHT FOR LIKE $10 EA. THEY ARE RATED AT 1500 POUNDS EACH I BELIEVE, THATS WHY I DO JUST FINE WITH THE BUGS AND ONLY 2 STRAPS. NOT SURE OF THE WEIGHT OF THE BUS BUT I KNOW ITS MORE THEN A BUG Very Happy .

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU NEED IT.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 am

Sweet. Cool
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 pm

You can rent a U-Haul car trailer (not a car dolly) for $54.00 per day.

It is an option...
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I have two come alongs I will throw in my truck for when I see you later
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks Dave and Matt, you guys rock (and Cliff). But I won't be needing it anymore. I called Uhaul and they quoted me $500!!!!! They didn't have any in Auburn and he said that it would be the same price to rent it one way, drive up without a trailer and get one at the Uhaul in WA. Seemed awful pricey, was it because I'm a girl? Well, even if it was, he's not getting my $.

I bought the bus. The owner is bringing it down. He has a trailer. I am paying his gas, plus a few hundred dollars for his time *and* he's bringing a bunch of extra parts he's throwing in. And I don't have to go on a long haul trip and rack up 1400 miles on the Dodge.

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 am

PROBABLY TOLD THEM YOU WERE GOING TO OR FROM WASHINGTON WITH IT. TELL THEM ITS LOCAL AND YOULL NEED IT FOR 2 DAYS TO "TAKE SOME JUNKERS OF SOME PROPERTY YOU JUST BOUGHT TO THE JUNK YARD" THATS PROBABLY THE $50 OR SO A DAY PRICE. THEN YOU MAKE THE TRIP Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a car trailer?   Anyone have a car trailer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a car trailer?
Page 1 of 1