Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My 66 Bug Project Thread.

Go down 
+11
silvertonguedevil
Smogman72
60herbie53
Jim Douglas Jr
Mateo
Bahabuggin
type 4
dsimas
916pat
Davids74Super
justcruzin
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Might be neat on the rear speaker shelf inside the rear window.....
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:57 pm

speedbuggy wrote:
Might be neat on the rear speaker shelf inside the rear window.....

Yah, I thought of doing that too. Just need to make the speaker shelf! LOL
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Ok, got my flashers to work and also installed the flasher unit a bit better then the PO had it.

Before,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1690

After,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1363

I also got my glove box tab today!! It is so much easier to open the glove box now!!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1732

Yesterday we started on the brakes and found that the master cylinder is history. So todays project is to R&R the mc and then hopefully I will be able to stop. Then we can work on getting it to go again. While hubby works on the mc today, I am planning to clean the carb. I hopefully will at least be able to take a test drive tomorrow or Friday. I hope! LOL
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 pm

And this will be the first test drive? There's nothing like it!
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:33 am

Woohoo for first test drives! bounce

Wow, you actually have a speaker in the dash by the speedo? Very cool. Wink
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:41 am

I found a horn ring there too, but we passed it up because it looked smaller then what should be on my car. I am probably going to be kicking myself for doing that, but here it goes... Do they make different horn rings for earlier years or do they all pretty much interchange? The guy had it marked "60's era" VW.

The horn rings are all the same size as far as I know. The 1960 is different because of the way the horn works. It is a one year only part but will fit other years. It will not work properly though. The horn bar I believe started in late 1963. I could be wrong. Same size and will fit the various wheels but does lack the full ring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 am

Dann, you are a horn ring.

I am just sayin' what everyone else is thinkin'.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 am

OH SNAP!!??!!
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

dsimas wrote:
Woohoo for first test drives! bounce

Wow, you actually have a speaker in the dash by the speedo? Very cool. Wink

Yah, first one. If we ever get there! LOL Every time we turn around something else needs to be done! Eventually though.

Yah, the speaker is there, just don't know if it works. It has the original 6 volt radio and I don't have a 6 volt battery to try it out on.

My plan for music is to just have an amp under the seat, speakers in the back behind the rear seat, and an iPod cable to the amp. Don't care so much for the radio so no need for one!
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:50 pm

60herbie53 wrote:
I found a horn ring there too, but we passed it up because it looked smaller then what should be on my car. I am probably going to be kicking myself for doing that, but here it goes... Do they make different horn rings for earlier years or do they all pretty much interchange? The guy had it marked "60's era" VW.

The horn rings are all the same size as far as I know. The 1960 is different because of the way the horn works. It is a one year only part but will fit other years. It will not work properly though. The horn bar I believe started in late 1963. I could be wrong. Same size and will fit the various wheels but does lack the full ring.

Poop, lol, wish I would have bought it then! Oh well, maybe next time! Bug O Rama is coming up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I made a glove box tap for mine too. Makes life so much nicer.....
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am

It's Alive!!!

https://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/myhrdly/66%20Bug/?action=view&current=IMG_1736.mp4

We had to clean the carb to get it to idle and so far it seems to be working ok. We also finished the brake and mc job so I can now stop too. LOL I'm not thrilled on where the brake pedal goes down too, but it has been a while since I drove a bug so maybe it is just that I'm not used to it. I am hopefully going to go for a test drive after work tomorrow, so I wil find out more about the pedal when I do that.

I also started my sticker collection!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1738

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1739

I dont plan on putting a ton of them on there, like I have on my Bus, but I will be adding more as I find some that I like!!
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Well, took her for a test drive today! Just went around the block a couple times, didn't have the bonnet on yet. That and the gas tank still wasn't bolted down. Very Happy

I had to fix my driver seat in order to do the test drive. I think I did a good job!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1742

Almost done,

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1743

All better! LOL

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1744

Ok, so it's not the best but it did the job for the test drive! LOL I found out that the clutch needs to be adjusted. It grabs to late. I like it to grab closer to the floor. Also the carb needs some more work. It seems to run fine but when I try to start it back up, I have to floor it till it finally starts to run. Also I think the brakes need some more work. The pedal goes about half way down. It stops, but I think it should be up a little higher.

Once I got done test driving a came home and put the rear seat in!! Looks a lot bettr.

Before

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1198

After,

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1745

I also found these belts. I'm thinking of going with them instead of the 3 point one's that are currently in the car. Still not positive what I want to do yet though.

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1747

At least these will match my eventual color scheme in the car.

Tonight I am hoping to get the clutch and brakes adjusted. I may also pull the carb back off and drop it in some Chem Dip. Either that or I will clean up a different carb and try it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Duct-Tape...the handymans (or womans) secret weapon! Your brake pedal should only go down about an inch from the top position. Adjust the brakes and then bleed them again after they're adjusted. That should cure the problem if everything is in good shape. Your project is coming together quickly!
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 pm

speedbuggy wrote:
Duct-Tape...the handymans (or womans) secret weapon! Your brake pedal should only go down about an inch from the top position. Adjust the brakes and then bleed them again after they're adjusted. That should cure the problem if everything is in good shape. Your project is coming together quickly!

We just put on new brakes, new mc, and then adjusted and bled, but I think it needs to be done again.

It's coming together quickly because I am not tearing it down to nothing and re doing everything. I'm wanting a nice daily driver (well almost daily) that looks good, but not pristine. I'm not going to be showing it or anything, just enjoying it. The things that will slow me down is the carpet kit and panels and such. Money will have to be made first and that will take the time.

Today hubby brought these home for me!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 311e3ee9

They are in a lot better shape then the one's that came with the car. They still need to be worked on a bit, but will be a lot better to work with then the other one's.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:37 am

I.love.your.project.updates.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 am

I.also.enjoy.your.updates.

Why are we using so many periods?

lol!
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm

THERE IS ALSO AN ADJUSTMENT OF THE ROD THAT GOES FROM THE BRAKE PEDAL INTO THE MASTER CYLINDER. OUT OF ALL THE VWS IVE WORKED ON IVE ONLY HAD TO ADJUST MAYBE 3 IN 15 YEARS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Smogman72 wrote:
THERE IS ALSO AN ADJUSTMENT OF THE ROD THAT GOES FROM THE BRAKE PEDAL INTO THE MASTER CYLINDER. OUT OF ALL THE VWS IVE WORKED ON IVE ONLY HAD TO ADJUST MAYBE 3 IN 15 YEARS.

Hubby mentioned something about that rod today. We are going to adjust it and the clutch tomorrow night. I'm hoping all will go well and all I will need to figure out is why it is so hard to start once it warms up. It starts great when cold, but once it warms up I have to hold the throttle to the floor till it finally starts. Then I get to work on seats so I can actually drive it. Very Happy

Today we finally got the bonnet on. I went to test it to make sure it latched, it did, but when I went to release it, it didn't! LOL After fighting it for a while we finally got it open. After some adjustments we got it to work great. I am so happy. I can now get gas in it! LOL

I also switched my turn signals from orange to clear. I really like the looks of the clear.

Before,

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1757

After,
My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1759

Tomorrow we are hopefully going to go to DMV and try to get a set of black and yellow plates assigned to it. Wish me luck!! I know it is going to take some time for approval. We had to send our truck reg into the Special Units division of DMV for DP plates. The truck was just over the limit, but the limit had just went up to where the truck could have DP plates. The office couldn't approve it though because the law was that new. So they had to send the app into the SU Division. That was in February. At the time we got a 3 month red tag to drive on. Had to get another one till the end of August. We are going to try to get another one tomorrow when we are there for the bug. I mean this is getting ridiculous. I really think they lost the paperwork. Guess we will find out tomorrow. ANYWAY, LOL it will probably be a few months before I get an official ok to use the plates, if I get an ok!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:07 am

Clear turn signals are where it is at!

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 Clear_10

I like them! Good choice.. Cool
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Finally, we are getting back on the bug!! It is finally on the lift and the axle boots are done!! Hopefully today we will get to the ball joints. Then it can come off the lift and hopefully stay off for a while!! Very Happy

All I need to do to drive it is get the driver seat reupholstered. Well, actually just need the cover that was on it, re sewn. Then I wil have a comfy more stable seat to do some more test driving in. Very Happy

Once I figure out if the brake fluid is leaking or not, and also get the carb working better, I hope to start driving it to work and back!!! Kind of excited, but have to take it slow. Need to make sure it is safe to make the 40 mile round trip!!

Oh, I found this on CL today. 9-19-11

My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 IMG_1935

So now I have a rack!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm

I've been meaning to ask you about this. Glad to see you working on it again.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Yah, it's is coming along slowly! I got the heater thingy's (the round accordian looking things that go between heater boxes and the car) connected today and I was thinking that they (Jack and Bob) were going to work on the ball joints. Nope! Didn't happen, again. Uggghhh. LOL I can't do the ball joints myself. I did tell Bob I could do them if I go and buy the kind that come all together. May have to do that if they don't get on the stick! LOL
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 am

I had one just like it once.... it may sing for you
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Love the roof rack. Sweet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 66 Bug Project Thread.   My 66 Bug Project Thread. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My 66 Bug Project Thread.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next