Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!

Go down 
+3
type 4
Mateo
silvertonguedevil
7 posters
AuthorMessage
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! Empty
PostSubject: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:31 pm

No, not really but with Dave's last wave of posts, I thought I better come up with something that stood out.

So Dann just called me. He is flat-towing Herbie down to LA with a brand-new Empi tow bar that I just picked up for him the other day. This is the first time he's towed him this way. For some reason, at parking lot speeds and especially when he turns to the right, the front wheels wobble back and forth violently. He actually has to stop the car to get it to stop. The car acts fine out on the highway though.

What are your thoughts? I was kinda leaning towards not enough caster but it's doing something I've never heard of before. He said the car drives fine, it just isn't towing well.
confused
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 5:08 pm

The problem you have with tow bars is that when you start to turn right, the hitch kicks to the left a little and so the car starts to go left and then has to quickly turn to the right.

This usually happens at low speeds and the car 'wobbles' trying to straighten out.

Alignment problems can make this worse I have heard.

He could try adding some weight to the front end and putting a bungee around the steering column.

As a test, you could have someone sit in the car and tow it around a parking lot to see if adding weight helps any...

My 2 cents...
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Great 2 cents. Are his tires out of balance. OMG that is such a nice car I bet he is not well.

Good luck Dann
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 am

My 66 did that when I towed it home from Denver to Colorado Springs. Once I got it going was fine.. all the way home. Even thru town was okay until I turned a corner going up hill to my house then it started doing so bad I pulled over and drove the bug up the hill into the driveway.

Matt's idea might be a good one.. throw a sack or two of sand under the hood. It will change the geometry of the steering.. since no one is in it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Davids74Super
SacTown
Davids74Super

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 am

My old 74 Standard did that really bad. I believe Mateo is correct. Add alignment issues and a worn out part or two, and it's even worse.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 am

Makes sense guys. Thanks for your replies. I'll pass this on to Dann.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 am

Tire balance
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 pm

STEERING STABILIZER TIRED AND NOT WORKING AS IT SHOULD. A POSSIBLE BAD PART. I CANT SAY IVE EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH TOWING A BUG WITH MY BAR. MAYBE I NEVER NOTICED IT TOWING WITH A 75 BLAZER OR THE 91 DODGE DIESEL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Don had something like it the other day when he put a set of out of balanced tires on his Super
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:24 pm

type 4 wrote:
Tire balance
It would shake the tits right off of you while driving though......
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Don almost lost it it shook so bad. Tires were off
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm

It doesn't shake at all. I think Cliff hit the nail on the head with the stabilizer. It only does it to the right and only if I turned sharp at low speeds. It would go completely right then left and right then left and so on 'til I stopped and turned to the left a little. It would then correct itself and tow fine. It never did it when I turned to the left. Weird.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 am

And yet here's another sign of the shoddy restoration that was done on the car. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:21 am

Was the right hand turns tighter.. Think about an intersection a right turn is much tighter than a left one
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 am

silvertonguedevil wrote:
And yet here's another sign of the shoddy restoration that was done on the car. Rolling Eyes

Watch it junior.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!   Dann's on fire!! Help! Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Dann's on fire!! Help! Help!
Page 1 of 1