Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

It all started here

Go down 
+5
Mateo
type 4
60herbie53
Smogman72
Paul. T
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

It all  started here  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Id like to paint it a flat blue, close to the deck lid color. Test fitted 15x6 smoothies

It all  started here  - Page 4 6_00810

It all  started here  - Page 4 6_00910

It all  started here  - Page 4 6_01010

It all  started here  - Page 4 6_01110

The last picture, clearest of them all was takin by my camera phone wth?

It all  started here  - Page 4 22739010
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: what tires   It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Do you have tires picked out. I like 205 50 but we drive on curvier roads they dont have much give but we have mouth guards for our passengers so you dont chip you teeth on the rough roads.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Lemme give you some advice. Get some paint (not just primer) on them in short order or you'll have rust, and rust down in the crevices you can't get to.

On a lighter note, they look great. I told you they were first rate.

The shorter the tire, the harder you work the engine.
On the same wheels, I'm running 205/60. It's just a pinch shorter than the 155 original stock, and quite a bit shorter than the 165 that are now generally being sold as stock replacements.

I was hoping you'd make the show so you could see mine mounted knowing that would help you make a tire choice.
If I can find a photo that represents it well, I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:07 pm

OK, keep in mind that this car is not lowered. You'll have to imagine it tucked up inside.
But, hopefully you can see the fairly low profile of this tire and how nicely it fits out, not pulled in exposing the edge of the rim, which looks sort of ghetto.
Much lower than the current typical "stock" replacement, and even a bit lower than the original OEM tire.
I think with it cambered way down, anything much shorter is going to wear out on the inside in fairly short order. Plus, it will keep you moving at highway speeds and show off the wide-ish-ness of it nicely.

I hope something about this helps your decision making process. They'll look cool whatever way you go.

It all  started here  - Page 4 Rearwheel

Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr on Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:11 pm

That is a nice size tire, I like it.

Very cool looking.

That is the type of look I want on the Ghia, just a nice fat tire.

Not real skinny, not too short, not over done, but just right.

Although, I have to deal with the fenders so I think I need more offset...
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Kyle   It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

I dont understand how the height of the tire would dictate tire wear. Tire height is all gear ratio you are correct but the other please explain.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm

I don't have a problem being swing axle in the back - they tuck right in, but I drive agressively and have had a few rubs on the front fenders when turning. None that bent the metal, just scufed the inner lip.

You know, just scuffed the inner lip, like all you short wanged guys do.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Kyle   It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I get it fender rub
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Good question. If we're still talking about the rears (we've been cross posting), since that's where his wide wheels are going:
Less sidewall give to allow the tread to contact. Too short, and with VW swing axle camber, you can put too much on the inner tread and sidewall, and get a lot of wear where they meet.
You'd have to go pretty short, but if longevity and budget are a concern, it's worth thinking about.

Not really an issue on later IRS cars.

Tirerack is a great place to research tires and see how people like them, and gather manufacturer info on life expectancy, performance tests, etc.

A little piece of info you can use in your search. Original 155 VW tire sidewall height is 12.4 CM, so you want to stick reasonably close to that. The affordable 165s most people use in stock applications now have 13.2 CM sidewall height, so quite a bit taller.

Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr on Tue May 03, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: tires   It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Toe is what will kill you faster than improper camber. They are all bad just one is worst
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Kyle   It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:23 pm

If you are not talking fender rub I doubt tire height matter one bit sorry
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:30 pm

I edited above.
He can do whatever he wants. I'm just sayin', the shorter he goes, the more that car is gonna ride on the inner edge of the tire. Additionally, if you're running higher RPMs to keep up in traffic, you're burning more fuel, something else to consider on a budget.

The lower the profile, the more they're likely to cost, so knowing he's on a budget, it doesn't seem like much of an issue.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Hold the phone! Everything else aside, if he goes too low, he'll waste that exhaust! It all  started here  - Page 4 Roll

It all  started here  - Page 4 22739010
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Where did you get the info for the stock 155??? my research lead me to find that the stock bias ply tires they came with "stock" where actually a bit taller than the 165/80/15. I did a ton of research on this a few weeks ago and found multiple places that stated this. Maybe the year of the car changed the height a bit. In 68, the bias ply tires where about 1/4" taller (or close to 1/2" total - top and bottom) than the 165/80/15.

@Paul... looks great dude. You might want to re-think that whole selling thing now...LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Swing axle 1950s through mid 1960s. It all  started here  - Page 4 Pi_thumbsup

You're correct on your '68 research. The bias ply had a straighter sidewall so did cap out a bit taller than the current radial 165s you see all the time.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Your too late. The exhaust is wasted. Well, almost. I hate it anyway, I need a reason to get a stock peashooter. I want to go the 205-70 route mainly because Im having a hard time finding white walls in a shorter size. If I can find some 205-60's with thick white walls I would do it. Definite no on the 50's. Also, I may just wait until I move to get tires. The car is now for sale and I cant justify spending $400+ to just give them away. However they are going out to powder coating tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Well I think it looks tough as hell!! This will look nice!
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:05 am

Maybe you could sell it to your fiance' and she could give it to you as a wedding present?!?!

OR, Maybe the new in-laws want to buy their new son-in-law a nice wedding gift!!!

cheers

That is what I am talking about.

You know you will just buy another one later...

Besides what is your Polar Bear bug gonna do without its Coca-Cola????

Some things just have to stay together.

flower
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Mateo wrote:
Maybe you could sell it to your fiance' and she could give it to you as a wedding present?!?!

OR, Maybe the new in-laws want to buy their new son-in-law a nice wedding gift!!!

cheers

That is what I am talking about.

You know you will just buy another one later...

Besides what is your Polar Bear bug gonna do without its Coca-Cola????

Some things just have to stay together.

flower

I almost kept them after I read the part about the polar bear and coca cola, but then I remembered its a panda. Coca-Cola was gone in 4 days, I was entirely not ready but it might had been better than if I had kept her longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

It all started here
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4