Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

need a carb asap

Go down 
+2
low67vdubinnocal
natthan
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

need a carb asap - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:50 pm

No it does not have an internal regulator so it will need one. Its an OG bosch unit from a 73. I thought he was kidding when he said it was leaking.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

low67vdubinnocal wrote:
No it does not have an internal regulator so it will need one. Its an OG bosch unit from a 73. I thought he was kidding when he said it was leaking.

So it will need one like the pic above right? If so, does anyone on the forum have one they want to donate to the cause? I don't think we have one. I think all we have is the one's for the generator.

Yah, he wasn't kidding. I never saw anything like that before! Shocked
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 am

I think the regulator will will need to match the alternator. I know there was more than one combo used. This bosch unit came from gray market imports back in the 80's from Europe. Let me get the number off it so we can figure out if we need the 3 wire regulator or the 4 wire regulator.
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm

I dug this bosch alternator out and the vw # is 043 903 023A bosch # 0 120 400 836 14 volt 50 amp Looking that up it looks like it uses the cheaper 3 wire regulator. His bently should show how to wire that bosch AL 78 to that regulator if the one in his car is not an AL 78 but the motorola one. Thesamaba.com has that diagram in one of the alternator threads. That alternator will need a good blowing out it's been hanging out unused for at least 15 years.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 am

Ok, we got the alternator in. It looks to have the same exact wire hook ups as his old one. The old regulator had 4 wires, as do the wire hook ups that go from the car to the regulator. The regulator that you brought only has 3 wires and has a different plug in. So we need to get the 4 wire regulator with the correct plug. We should be doing that tomorrow and hopefully by tomorrow night everything will be up and running again. Wish us luck! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 am

That is the correct regulator for that bosch AL 78. you can wire that regulator to work. His book should show how both motorola 4 wire and bosch 3 wire regulators work. But if the other works thats great too. Samba thread on how to wire a 3 wire bosch AL78 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524825&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=motorola+bosch
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm

low67vdubinnocal wrote:
That is the correct regulator for that bosch AL 78. you can wire that regulator to work. His book should show how both motorola 4 wire and bosch 3 wire regulators work. But if the other works thats great too. Samba thread on how to wire a 3 wire bosch AL78 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524825&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=motorola+bosch

Ok, I will print out the diagram in the link and share it with Bob. Wiring isn't one of his (or my) best fortais. LOL We'll see how it goes tonight. Right now they are down to just the regulator problem and clutch cable. Nathan's old cable was pretty bad. Had to adjust it all the way out just so Nathan could drive it home last weekend.

I'm hoping they will have the bug up and running tonight. I'm going to talk to Bob about having Nathan come over and adjust his brakes tomorrow. Then he should be able to drive it again. Some what safely too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm

The 4 wire motorola one cost about twice as much as the bosch 3 wire one. Besides the plug i'm not sure what the difference is between the two regulators . I used a 3 wire regulator and that AL 78 on my 71 for a while it charged fine but that was years ago.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Things didn't go as planned. Bob has the flu I believe, so he is down for the count. Dewey did get the regulator hooked up so that is done. All that needs to be done now is the clutch cable install. Nathan is coming over tomorrow night to help so even with Bob down I figure Dewey and Nathan can finish the cable install and possibly adjust brakes.

Just want to thank Dewey for being a trooper and doing what he did tonight. I kind of bailed on him too. I usually don't go to the garage if Bob doesn't, I'm much happier in the house. LOL That's unless I'm working on my bus out there. LOL So thanks for doing what you did tonight Dewey! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm

So is this rig up and running now?? inquiring minds need to know!!!
Back to top Go down
MoonMullins

MoonMullins

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes but not as good as it should
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 pm

He needs the correct bolt that holds and sets the points. They had to use the one from the electronic points and we are thinking it is to long and preventing the distributor from advancing. I am supposed to find a pic of the said bolt for Nathan, but haven't done it yet. He should be able to find one at his work!
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I can either give him another complete 009 point distributor or I have a bunch of bosch cores he can have a screw out of. I wanted to see the end of this but wanted no part of Bobs flu.
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am

He just needs the screw for now. He has his bug with him now. Not sure if he is driving it or not. I just know he say's it has no power, say's that he can't put it in 4th at all because it lugs to much or wants to die. That is why we are thinking what we are thinking. We just didn't have one at the shop, believe it or not. LOL ALl the crap we have and no screw. LOL
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 am

I will get him a screw and see if thats the problem.
Back to top Go down
natthan

natthan

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 am

No I'm not driving it Sad its just sitting in my driveway
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 am

It's resting from cough due to cold. It will get better in a few day's...
Back to top Go down
natthan

natthan

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

Ha ha
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 am

In your spare time if you dont have one start an account at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 Everything you ever wanted to know or not know about your bug is right there. The best thing is it's free. i will text you tomorrow to see when you will be home to bring you that smaller screw.
Back to top Go down
natthan

natthan

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Ha ha I'm home all day tomorrow its my day off and I will I hear good things about that website
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm

That's good I was to lazy to go anywhere today anyways.
Back to top Go down
Breck

Breck

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 am

Nathan am I to understand that the problem is that you have a screw loose?? Shocked Shocked Shocked What a Face What a Face Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
justcruzin

justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 am

Breck wrote:
Nathan am I to understand that the problem is that you have a screw loose?? Shocked Shocked Shocked What a Face What a Face Shocked Shocked Shocked

No, no, no, Breck, You got that all wrong. Nathan is to young to have screw loose. The problem is his screw is to long. He needs it to be shorter. Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
natthan

natthan

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Ha ha you guys are so funny
Back to top Go down
low67vdubinnocal

low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:58 am

I forgot about valintines day today so will have to bring the part another day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need a carb asap   need a carb asap - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

need a carb asap
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next