Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Idiot Lights - which is which?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
drugsnrockets

Idiot Lights - which is which? Empty
PostSubject: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

I SWEAR the red idiot light on a bug is the oil pressure . . . right?

So the white idiot light came on and I thought, "I get it home right after I go buy an alternator (more on that later).  I get home and just before starting the tear down, I thought I'd verify.  Rob and Dave's Aircooled says the left (red) light is electrical and the right (white) is oil (unless someone has 'rewired' it ala Tim the Toolman Taylor.

Anyway, there's oil in the case (probably time to change it) and the oil pressure indicator is wired tightly.  Nothing obvious there.

So, am I returning the alternator I just bought and looking for oil-pressure issues instead?

As long as I have your attention, how do I tell if I have an alternator or generator?  The unit now on the car has no obvious regulator (the little silver box sitting on top of the generator) but has a plastic housing about 3/4" thick, about 2" x 3" with the wire to/from the battery and a wire to the coil.  Sounds like an alternator setup, right? If someone can remind me how to upload a picture, I'll post one.

BTW, gonna try to make it to VW Invasion on Sunday!

Thank you

Pat
Back to top Go down
my65rhd
SacTown
my65rhd

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Here are a few pictures I found. ..Kyle

Idiot Lights - which is which? Vrr9lv10
Idiot Lights - which is which? Basica10
Back to top Go down
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 am

That diagram points to my having an alternator, based on the lack of a voltage regulator.

Thanks Kyle.

I guess the basic question is still, is the white (right) idiot light the oil pressure or the alternator/generator?

If it's the alternator/generator, I can swap that out in an hour or so.

If it's the oil pressure, then what? There's oil in the pan and the wiring looks intact. I can do more checking of that tomorrow.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
toncar

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 am

This is an alternator:
Idiot Lights - which is which? PAL78XNB

This is a generator:
Idiot Lights - which is which? PGR15N
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:54 am

LEFT ONE HAS A RED SPOT IN THE HOUSING AND IS ALT/GEN LIGHT.

RIGHT ONE HAS A GREEN, SOMETIMES RED SPOT IN THE HOUSING AND IS THE OIL LIGHT.

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR COLORED SPOT IS MISSING. NO BIGGIE THO.

GO TO THE BACK OF THE SPEEDO ASSEMBLY, LOOKING AT THE BACK SIDE OF IT THE SOCKET ON THE DRIVERS SIDE (WHAT IM GETTING IS YOUR RED LIGHT) SHOULD HAVE A BLUE WIRE TO IT FROM THE ALT/GEN. THE ONE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE (YOUR WHITE LIGHT) SHOULD HAVE A BLUE AND GREEN WIRE TO IT. MAKE SURE YOUR GROUND CONNECTIONS ARE ALL GOOD THERE. MAKE SURE THE CONNECTION AT THE OIL SENSOR IS SOLID AS WELL. IF YOU HAVE GOOD OIL LEVEL AND IT HAPPENS AGAIN YOUR SENSOR MAY BE GOING BAD. NOT A HARD OR EXPENSIVE REPAIR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I'll check those things out when I get home this afternoon. thanks.

I guess my logic is just backwards - I'd think a red light meant STOP RIGHT NOW!!!! what you would want to do if you lose oil pressure as opposed to a white/green that implies, 'there's a problem but don't sweat it until you get home'.

thanks, Smogman72
Back to top Go down
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 am

Changed out the oil pressure switch and I'm good to go! And NOW I know which light is which AND not to ask for a '67 alternator cuz the guy sold me a generator. Just ask for an alternator next time.

BTW, anyone know why 10W40 is about $18/gallon and 15W40 is only $11? Guy at Napa Auto Parts didn't know. I went with the 15W40 (and stocked up in case it was a mistake!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idiot Lights - which is which?   Idiot Lights - which is which? Empty

Back to top Go down

Idiot Lights - which is which?
Page 1 of 1