Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Matching number engine build.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

Matching number engine build. Empty
PostSubject: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 am

My motor build is going smooth so far. I would like some opinions about what it is going to cost and what has been done to it. The tear down, cleaning, inspecting as well as rebuild is $500. To machine the case for the oversized case savers, bearings, P's & C's, rings, gaskets, tubes and ect... $420. That seems pretty good to me considering I have built watercooled motors that cost $10K. So the Uncle in law machined the case back in 84' to a 1641cc. The bus is still 6v and single port so I can't see that being very effecient. I think I want to downsize to 1600cc since I can't go back to the OG 1500cc do to the machining. Anyone have ideas or thoughts about all of this? Apart from the cc's I want everything to be stock and original.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 am

Well with today's pricing.. your right, not bad. I would go back to 1600. The 1641 does not offer enough power to justify the extra heat. The cylinder walls are a lot thinner to make the 1641.. so you add heat and loose cooling. You could get the extra power back just by going to 1.25 rockers and a good header/exhaust system (I know.. not stock).. but, will gain some HP. Also, want to make sure your bearing bore is not more than .30 over. That is a recipe for disaster on a long drive.

In a bus, I also think you will be a bit happier with the 1600 over the original 1500.. gas today is not the same as when they made the 1500. You would get a lot better performance with dual port, if you do a pair of new or new-used heads. Better breathing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com

PostSubject: Re: Rebuild   Matching number engine build. EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 pm

I've always had good results with the 1641cc, no heat issues or anything. I'm surprised to hear that your case was machined. The 1641 (87.5mm) is a "slip-in" kit for the 1600. I was under the impression that the 1500/1600 use the same case bores. Maybe I'm wrong?
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:07 am

My motor was a 1500 and it was machined for the 1641. From what I am being told, I can only go to a 1600 because of the machining.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Did some reading this morning. In a nutshell, later 1500's and all 1600 cyl barrels were interchangeable. The bore size where the barrel slips into the case should be 3.543" (90mm) for a stock 1500/1600 barrel. If it's larger than that, then the case has been bored oversize and you're stuck with the 1641. This is assuming that you have the later 1500 with cam bearings, and not the early "bored and stroked 40 hp". Hope this helps!

Last edited by speedbuggy on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

Jan 64, no cam bearings. I am stuck with 1600cc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Yup.
Back to top Go down
SactoJ
SacTown
SactoJ

PostSubject: jims vw in lodi   Matching number engine build. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Jims VW in Lodi,,,,that guy has motors for pretty reasonable..you could just get another motor?the correct one perhaps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chopcutchop.blogspot.com
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm

SactoJ wrote:
Jims VW in Lodi,,,,that guy has motors for pretty reasonable..you could just get another motor?the correct one perhaps?

Being that it is my wife's grandfather's bus, she is 100% intent on having those numbers on the motor match the birth certificate. New motor is out of the question. The OG motor is already machined, built and ready to go minus the flywheel. I will post up pics soon...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matching number engine build.   Matching number engine build. Empty

Back to top Go down

Matching number engine build.
Page 1 of 1