Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

It all started here

Go down 
+5
Mateo
type 4
60herbie53
Smogman72
Paul. T
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

It all  started here  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 am

Sounds like you lost the clip to the ebrakes.. had that happen once myself. Pull that drum off and I bet you will see you ebrake assembly hanging there.. there is a pin that holds it all together and a c or e clip that holds that.. if the c clip goes a way, then the pin can come out and whammooo..
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: you know   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 am

Never a dull day with these car
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Everything was powdered in metal bits from the inside of the drum, but everything else looked fine. But is the castle nut supposed to turn the axle when loosening?. After I backed the adjuster off (by hand), the car moved back a little then forward, then stuck.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: paul   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Where did the powder come from? Brakes, bearing, bearing holder. Get some brake clean and clean it and take a pic. We love pictures.

D
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm

I left the car on the ground with a wedge under the wheel to break the castle nut loose.

Then I jacked the car up and went from there.

Did the same when tightening.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Alrighty, I cleaned it all off. The powder may have come from the the drum being grind on some how.

It all  started here  - Page 2 Brake_10

I cleaned it off, well, I didnt get the pic of it cleaned.

It all  started here  - Page 2 Brake_11

Is the drum supposed to slide far back enough to see the axle interlocked? cause thats not happening.

It all  started here  - Page 2 Brake_12

With the drum off theres obviously no grinding sound, but when I push it back and tighten it down, its VERY obvious its grinding. Nothing appears to be hitting it though
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

The powder (brake dust) is normal depending on how much is there. What you have pictured there seems pretty normal. Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but that outer lip of the drum looks awfully shiney. Is it maybe grinding on something?
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 pm

I think that is just a glare Greg.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: paul   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 pm

I agree it look normal, is the other side acting funny? How many rubber brake hoses are on the rear one or two. If you rubber brake hose fails sometimes it will allow fluid one way and not return. Everything look semi new if not new.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm

I agree Dave. The rubber hoses on my car did the same thing. I replaced all of them.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Okie Dokie folks. I was just schooled and told the drum is supposed to have splines in it, as you can see from my pictures they are entirely smoothed out. Also, that is indeed not a glare. It was completely ground out. That was the "powder" I was referring to. I know the brake dust is in it as well but you cant tell from the pics that theres PLENTY metal shavings. Am I coming off stand off-ish? Im not meaning too, just trying respond to all the questions and responses without quoting everyone.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: paul   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Wow i have heard that happened once before in a Ghia with a real big motor. What size is you motor I will have to tell my UPS driver you did it in a stock bug.

Sorry
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:20 pm

the pic makes it look like the splines are there... so they are gone... that would allow the drum to go into the backing plate... makes sense now.

So a new drum is needed.. are there still splines on the axle? or are they gone also?
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Ouch   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 pm

They are like $50.00 each unless someone has any lying around.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:38 pm

That is amazing. I can't believe the splines are completely gone.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: why   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Thats hard to do.

How tight was the castle nut?
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 pm

It just seems that something would break before stripping all the splines.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 pm

[quote="type 4"]Thats hard to do.

How tight was the castle nut?[/quote

The motor is a 1600sp. Im guessing it wasnt tight at all(I took it off by hand), Ive always seen it and it had the cotter pin in and figured it was good. All new brakes and springs and cylinders were previously installed, so once again I thought I was good to go. But oh well, I shoulda checked it all out before driving it as I did. The axle is good to go, forged steel vs cast iron and the iron didnt even try.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Are they new   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Were the drums in pretty good shape. The brakes look new, the adjusters and everything else look new if the drums were new they could be more China Crap.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: paul   It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 pm

It could of been that the nut allowed the drum to rock back and forth eating away the metal. A tight nut would of made it a single unit.

Sorry it happened.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 am

That must be what happened. Sorry for the bad luck.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 am

That is a real bummer. I am sorry that happened.

I could see it happening in a Ghia. Yaknow the bad ass lines of the body create a super-dimensional magnetic field that quadruples the horsepower of a normal aircooled motor. So in a Ghia it would make sense that the sheer power of such an increadible machine would detstroy metal like it was paper.

I deal with it every day.

But other than that, what a downer.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:47 am

Mateo wrote:
That is a real bummer. I am sorry that happened.

I could see it happening in a Ghia. Yaknow the bad ass lines of the body create a super-dimensional magnetic field that quadruples the horsepower of a normal aircooled motor. So in a Ghia it would make sense that the sheer power of such an increadible machine would detstroy metal like it was paper.

I deal with it every day.

But other than that, what a downer.

HAHAAAHAA BEST DAMN POST YET!. But yes, it does suck and Im out to get a replacement tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 am

Wrap some duct tape around it and drive it up to tech-day.

I bet we could sneak a replacement off of a certain turbo bug while the owner is otherwise distracted.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:40 am

Matt, you been hittin' the sauce...LOL... that was pretty good.

That is what happened... that nut is supposed to be torqued down to 250 foot pounds..aka a big effin wrench with a 4 foot pole and all your body weight.

So new drum and then torque that baby down... then cotter pin. Thank God you didn't loose your rear wheel.. I have seen that happen twice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It all started here    It all  started here  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

It all started here
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next