Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What goes together must come apart no more draw through

Go down 
+2
Jim Douglas Jr
type 4
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
type 4
State Route
type 4

What goes together must come apart no more draw through Empty
PostSubject: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

Today I am going to start taking apart the draw through turbo set up.

1st I want the turbo in my Porsche it is a water cooled turbo and since the Porsche is going to driven hard for 20 minutes of serious track time it need to be cooled.

2nd 15 and a 1/2 year old new driver

3rd OPEC has sent me a Christmas card already

4th As Eric has said and I have read it like warm no humidity weather it was icing on the way back from tech day the other Saturday.

5th The motor is so fast with out the turbo

6th oil pressure issues and I do believe it is the turbo I dont have the time to play with it.

Would I do it again, in a heart beat. Would I do a draw through NO. I love the look I love the sound. I need to focus on my Porsche. We will have to see how long the 1915 stays in the car. The 1600 was a get in hit the key and go right now 30 MPG sure is nice and it take regular gas.

The lesson learned Turbo yes with fuel injection it is a very beautiful thing. With a blow through nice. People still sell my set up they are in LA, drag race or in Sandrails.

I will try to see you guys at the car show but it is a busy weekend. We are in the middle of a Honda motor swap at the same time.

David

Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm

OPEC!

Hopefully you can swing by in the morning. I'm enjoying getting to know everyone and it would be cool if you could hang out and crack open a quick can of pop.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
silvertonguedevil
SacTown
silvertonguedevil

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 pm

HOLY SHIT!! You said "POP"!!!!

Everyone in California sez "Soda" and it drives me crazy. In Oregon, everyone calls it "Pop".

I knew I liked you!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: right   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 pm

hanging is not happening. Today we went backwards so tomorrow we have to go froward.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm

We always called it pop growing up.
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown
zuhaelter_82

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 pm

They say pop on the east coast also... The first time someone said that to me i was so confused.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 4:39 am

I call it soda pop so I fit in everywhere. Greg is stupid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Soda pop seems to placate everyone.
Isn't that how every project goes? Nothing can ever just take an hour and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:21 am

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: the news   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyWed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Turbo is off

I found out why my lack of boost. I bet the web site is still open to order silicone hoses and t style hose clamps. i am not always a fan of newer made stuff but in the turbo parts new is sometimes better. I used the hoses that I got with the turbo they did not like gas. The 3 inch hose between the carburetor is breaking down. Plus one of the hoses to the end intakes may not of had a proper seal. My first boost gauge was a boost only gauge for my truck. I put the Porsche's boost gauge that had vacuum and boost but I did not pay close attention to the vacuum just the boost.

We are going in so many direction in the garage I thought I tested all the hose couplings with a propane torch. You get your torch turn on the gas do not light it and you check all couplings, manifolds, carburetor any potential vacuum leak problem areas. If you get a jump in rpm's you need to tighten or fix something

Would I do it again in a second. The turbo system will be absorbed into the Porsche program. I like the blow off valve and the turbo is a better choice for the Porsche it is a newer turbo that is water cooled it will last longer and take more abuse.

It was fun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyWed May 04, 2011 11:34 pm

"It's not the kill...it's the thrill of the chase!"
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Eric   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyWed May 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Eric you are correct
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: I think   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:11 am

I believe I lost the use of my traction bar. Time to make another one. Its in the way of the rear valance.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:30 am

What 'brand' of turbo is in the Porsche now?
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Same   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:26 am

Both are Rajay they were made for airplanes, no longer in business and have a unique flange. Plus a carbon seal.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 07, 2011 1:44 am

What planes were they used on?
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Dann   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:49 am

I would say experimental, 2 maybe 4 seat . Cessna style
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: rebuild   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:03 am

I never knew I took off so much stuff to be able to run the turbo set up. So today is sheet metal day. I miss my turbo header already it had flanges no slip to leaks joints. I also have to put a deck lid on the Porsche since I am out of garage space and the rain is coming.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: oil    What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Be careful I was having oil pressure issues while running the turbo. We with the turbo off and not backing off the CB pressure booster thing we had another incident.

Back to the garage we are bombing the house flees thanks Mr Cat.

Later
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: better   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Oil pump cover changed and screw backed off now we are back to normal. It was sooooooo nice not to have a rear valance I did not have to pull the motor. All I needed was a 5 gallon can to park my butt. Maybe tonight I will get to drive it. It is a race but I think the mosquito's will win.

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: rain   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySun May 08, 2011 12:07 pm

After changing out the oil pump cover I was cleaning up the oil that was all over the place. Spencer should of been around. Started the car it was dry no oil leeks hey look the sheet metal that goes on before the crank pulley. I dont think I will get to anything today we have company coming for dinner.

D
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: almost   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm

The Webers are installed, idles, starts right up. Exhaust is on, now on to the job I hate DECK LID. After a test drive I bet on to a traction bar. My old one was for a no rear valance car, plus it was bolted in. I talked to Eric and we both agreed bolting it in is a real bad idea. So lunch is over off to the garage.

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: op   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Its apart again. Always check for straightness one of my fellow VWers was nice enough to lend me an oil pump cover. It was stamped VW so hey it not a piece of China junk. So I did what Eric suggested and sanded the oil pump and it was pretty close but my cover was a little warped. I love a challenge and a oil filter so tomorrow I may put my oil filter on and back the oil pressure to stock and fire it up and have a one more shot. This was my original tried and true set up.

First I am going to see if the filter cover has some kind of check ball.

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: I think   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySat May 14, 2011 9:03 pm

I just may have it. So this is what I did to fix oil pressure issues. Original oil pump. Oil filter cover was real straight. I took a piece of glass 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper the black stuff. Some oil and sanded the oil pump nice and slow, figure 8's. Did the same to the pump cover. I put a new .002 gasket between the cover and oil pump. We have 60 plus a little cold and 20 warm. I have not run it on the road just around where I live. I backed the CB pressure out maybe not all the way but almost.

I found another new cast cover in my garage and it was not very straight. Never assume
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through EmptySun May 15, 2011 1:53 am

Way to go Dave. Are you going to make it to tech day with it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What goes together must come apart no more draw through   What goes together must come apart no more draw through Empty

Back to top Go down

What goes together must come apart no more draw through
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next