Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

No more power

Go down 
+4
silvertonguedevil
Mateo
Bradford
Paul. T
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

No more power - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 pm

type 4 wrote:
Back to my first questions.

Do you know if the Alternator is internal regulated?

Did you have a generator?

What did you do with the regulator under the rear seat?

That is a big battery it should have some bounce back.'

Paul we can help just we need information.

1. To be honest I didnt even check before I tossed it in, was a bit in a rush. The box indicates nothing so Ill look up the model online.

2. No generator.

3. The previous alternator was internal regulated Motorola, so I found the wiring on the samba to remove the regulator. I then gave it to a friend that needed one for his 68'.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 pm

So it is running, if it dies again let me know. Next week after Monday I am free most of the time?

Thanks Paul for the reply
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Smogman72 wrote:
ELECTRICAL GHOSTS.....GOD I LOVE TRACKING THOSE BUGGERS DOWN AND PUTTING THEM OUT OF MY MIZ-R-EE (CANT SPELL) Wink

Misery. It was a good movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lovebugfans.com
Mateo
Admin
Mateo

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 am

I would put a meter on your battery with the engine running and see if you are getting 14 volts.

Might as well start at the beginning.

If you are getting 14 volts, then I would wiggle the wires on the alternator/generator indicator light when the key is on, but the motor is off and see if the light flickers with an intermittent connection.

Also check the connection for the indicator on the post at the alternator.

If those are all good you can eliminate your charging circuit as a problem.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 am

Mateo wrote:
I would put a meter on your battery with the engine running and see if you are getting 14 volts.

Might as well start at the beginning.

If you are getting 14 volts, then I would wiggle the wires on the alternator/generator indicator light when the key is on, but the motor is off and see if the light flickers with an intermittent connection.

Also check the connection for the indicator on the post at the alternator.

If those are all good you can eliminate your charging circuit as a problem.

The battery turned into a fountain today on my way to school. My conclusion was that the alternator isnt internally regulated and is over charging the battery??. I found no info on the alternator being regulated. Also the gen light is off. Im going to the store in the morning after I pull the alternator to switch to a regulated one.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 am

Paul can you send us a pic of the Alternator. We need to figure out what you have.

Mr c
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm

No more power - Page 2 Alt-er10

No more power - Page 2 Alt-er11

And heres the brand

No more power - Page 2 Alt-er12
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 pm

How did the battery do is it toast.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 pm

i think that's two, two, two questions in one.

I don't see anything hooked up to it. You did have those wires on the right connected, correct?
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Paul I have a internal regulated alternator I bought new and have used it for a very short time. If you want I am basically free after next Tuesday morning, noon, night. I pulled it because my 1915 revved so fast and hard it squealed the belt.

David
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 pm

you said it was new.. I have heard more than once alternators being bad out of the box.

Take it into Autozone.. or O'Rielly. and they can test it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:51 am

Do what Brad said and get it tested.
Back to top Go down
Paul. T
SacTown
Paul. T

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 am

type 4 wrote:
Paul I have a internal regulated alternator I bought new and have used it for a very short time. If you want I am basically free after next Tuesday morning, noon, night. I pulled it because my 1915 revved so fast and hard it squealed the belt.

David

Sounds like a good deal to me. I pm'd you. Yes, it was wired correctly. Theres nothing wrong with it Brad, its just not regulated and almost melted my battery. The battery is fine though, still reads 12.79
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:16 am

Yep.. that will do it if it's not regulated. Keep an eye on your battery.. it might go quickly if it burned up a cell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator
Smogman72

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 am

AND AT 12.79 IT VERY WELL COULD HAVE. A COMPLETELY CHARGED BATTERY COMES IN AT 12.6 VOLTS. 6 CELLS IN ALL CAR BATTERIES. EACH CELL FULLY CHARGED IS 2.1 VOLTS. REALLY ANYTHING OVER THAT OR BELOW 1.8 VOLTS EACH (11 TOTAL) A CELL HAS BEEN DAMAGED.

FOR SURE KEEP AN EYE ON THE BATTERY VOLTAGE FOR A WHILE.

THE BATTERY IN MY BAJARAT RIGHT NOW AFTER RUNNING HAS 12.71 VOLTS. ITS A WET TYPE AND ON HOT DAYS LEAKS A BIT OF MOISTURE, IT HAS MOSS ON THE TERMINALS, ETC.

WHEN I GO TO START IT THE VOLTAGE GOES DOWN TO ABOUT 9.8 VOLTS. I ONLY GET MAYBE A MINUTE OF ACTUAL CRANKING TIME BEFORE I NEED TO JUMP IT. IF I DONT START IT AND RUN IT AT LEAST EVERY OTHER DAY IT DIES.

ONE OF THESE DAYS I'LL GET AROUND TO CHANGING IT OUT.

RUNNING YOU SHOULD BE SEEING VOLTAGE IN THE 12.9 TO 14.2 VOLTS RANGE AT THE BATTERY. ANYTHING BELOW, NOT CHARGING ENOUGH. ANYTHING ABOVE, YOUR OVER CHARGING.
Back to top Go down
http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am

So your D+ goes to your light on the dash (push on)

The terminal with the stud and nut B+ should be a decent size wire and should be going to you starter, battery, and points forward.

I hope the wire in the picture is your ground wire it looks small for your B+ wire

David

Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:08 am

Have you had the alternator tested Autozone does it for free.
Back to top Go down
60herbie53
State Route
60herbie53

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm

I think any auto parts store will test them for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more power   No more power - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

No more power
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2