Norcal Vdubs
Norcal Vdubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Strebzbu

Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder Empty
PostSubject: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Hello
I am new to the area (Nevada City) and I am looking for a person to overhaul my 1967 VW bus transmission. After over 300K miles it finally gave it up with a growl! Now it won't stay in first or second gears. I have owned my bus for over 25 years now. It is powered by a 1776cc single carb motor. The bus is a Westy and we have enjoyed it over the years but have been missing it since the tranny went South.
Any helpful information leading to a top quality re-builder is appreciated.
Thanks, David
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin
Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:15 am

Hey Dave! I think you are the guy that left me a couple of phone messages... I called and left a message but never heard back.

Glad you hopped on! Sign up as a new user.. it is free and it gets rid of all the ad banners!

There is another guy looking for a bus transmission rebuild as well. I always recommended Rancho Transmissions in rancho cordova.. but I guess there is another guy out of Chico as well. You should get some response
Back to top Go down
http://www.norcalvdubs.com
vdubluv68

vdubluv68

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:34 am

Hey David!

Welcome to the group. I'm pretty new here myself. I'm looking for a bug transmission and so far Late Night AirCooled out of Chico seems to be the most reasonable. Some guys on here seem to know a guy so stay tuned for his info.

There's a Rancho in Rancho Cordova? Thought the only one down in SoCal.

-Michael
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route
type 4

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:24 am

A guys in Placerville advertises on Craigslist all the time and a former member liked the guy. I may of met him a Bug-o-Rama a few years a go if it is him he was very knowledgeable. David from Wilton has posted the name of the guy he uses.
Back to top Go down
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am

Ray Vallero can do this for you. He's in Auburn and is one of the best VW air cooled mechanics in the nation, really. Smile

Vallero's VW Werks
www.valleros.com
530-823-6193

He saw your post and wanted me to let you know. He's just so busy with getting the racecar ready for Bakersfield and also is shorthanded at work, and not computer savvy at posting. Smile

Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Vallero charges an arm and a leg, though, and doesn't call with updates or when the bill goes over 10% of the estimate - per state law.

I took a car there for poor running (ended up being loose heads) and was quoted $400. The bill was over $750.
I told them about it and she said pay what I thought was fair. I said "fair" would have been letting me know, and paid the whole bill.
Car runs great though 3 years later.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
dsimas

dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Ray had many complaints about this, it was a problem with the gal in the office and she's gone now. No worries.
Back to top Go down
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown
Jim Douglas Jr

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Oh, good.
Yeah, they had the car three days, I missed a day of work, and she/they would not answer or return calls.

They likely just get one from Rancho or somewhere and swap it.
Back to top Go down
http://lovebugfans.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder   Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder Empty

Back to top Go down

Searching for a Type II bus transmission rebuilder
Page 1 of 1